Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-03-2011, 06:44   #31

Re: Removing Diesel and Using Outboard on 38' Sloop - Opinions ?

Your Volvo is a common model. Surely your can find an exact replacement for not all that much money.

Old 14-03-2011, 14:11   #32

Boat: 1970 BUCHAN 37'
Re: Opinions needed Re removing diesel and using outboard on a 38 foot sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
For the total sum of money to reduce the value of your vessel you could find a used diesel engine to replace the spent diesel.

To pull an engine is usually one days work, clean up the engine compartment another day. Make moderate repairs to engine area maybe two days.

Placing replacement engine in another day, finish with plumbing, cables and ignition the final day.

All work completed in less than seven man days.
Man days... as opposed to girly girl days. How much have people paid to get their diesel engine swapped out with a replacement used engine?

Old 14-03-2011, 17:27   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Impossible to get a s/h inboard diesel instead? Or marinize something taken off a car?

You will need a big outboard for the job in either case!

b.
Old 14-03-2011, 18:11   #34

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Re: Opinions needed Re removing diesel and using outboard on a 38 foot sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
An outboard would spend half its time free-spinning in large swell or choppy conditions and not give you what you need at the very time you need it. I've seen boats in Narragansett Bay (where you rarely see more than 2-3' chop) struggling with outboards all the time.
SabreKai is well on his way to a decision, but how the O/B performs in sea conditions, etc deserves more attention. This is a real Achilles Heel.

[1] Modest waves keep lifting the prop, and cause cavitation and over-revving. That gets worse the closer to the stern that you mount it.
[2] Heeling or rolling will also lift the prop on designs with a flat-ish stern, exacerbating [1] and making motor sailing awkward in gusty conditions.
[3] Many outboards, particularly older ones, are WAY underpropped relative to their horsepower (for displacement vessels) and therefore fail to deliver what you might expect from their power rating. Prop pitch will also be wrong if the O/B was set up for planing craft (a lesser issue).
[4] Prop issues in [3] really limit braking ability going astern. You have to rethink how you manoeuvre into docks, etc in high winds.
[5] The harder it is to sail your boat out of snarly wave action, the more you should worry about [1] to [3].

In addition,

[6] A fuel tank that would keep a small diesel going for 30 hours kept my outboard going for perhaps 5. Fuel is more explosive and expensive.
[7] Flushing is a PITA, particularly in wells. Not flushing kills the O/B.

The only positives I remember are that I could use the O/B as a "stern thruster" in docking manoeuvres, and what friends have paid to repair old diesels would have paid for four new outboards!

FWIW
Old 24-03-2011, 01:40   #35

Boat: 1970 BUCHAN 37'

I see the idea of making a big deal about cutting a hole in the hull, but wouldn't the transom mounted option be more affordable? I got the motor, its a Mercury 7.5 LS, 90's model. I now also have the bracket. Now to the study of how this thing goes on. Hopefully it will do me well. It was suggested a 9.9 would be better, but this will work to get her around to the different places she needs to go, to her slip in Fishermans Terminal and then to the Haul Out!
Old 24-03-2011, 02:16   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Oldson, I think you need to have another look at post 34, there are some serious downsides for a 37 foot yacht. However, if you do decide to go ahead, the chances are the 7.5 merc has the wrong size prop. It will be propped for use on a small tender not 6 tonnes of yacht. Good news is a new prop won't break the bank and if you choose a dual thrust one it will give good control in reverse.

Peter
Old 24-03-2011, 05:04   #37

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Honda makes an "ultra" long shaft 15hp with a "high thrust" prop. That might push you around a bit.

Check out www.atomvoyages.com James Baldwin has done a number of modifications like your original idea. Go to projects ............then to "inboard outboard."

Its not for everyone..............but it does work. And it can be a better solution for some purposes. I am in the process of doing a similar modification.

Cheers,

s
Old 24-03-2011, 06:26   #38

Boat: 1986 aloa 27 - KAVALA

funny ! 15 years ago I remember doing the exact opposite thing in my custom built 24' wooden sloop..I had installed a brand new gazoline ouboard which proved moody and unreliable
one season later I decided to take it out and repower using a very old 1 cylinder Yanmar diesel engine ..
I only miss the manoeuvrability of the outboard in reverse gear though.
george
Old 25-03-2011, 17:55   #39

Boat: Westerly W-35 (Latterly sold as Conway 36 Aft Cockpit)

Sorry mate, but I can think of few things more silly. Get a manual and repair/overhaul the diesel, it's bound to be cheaper than a decent fair weather outboard for a 38 footer. And if you do use an outboard, even a long shaft one, then pray to whichever God you worship that you don't get caught in a tide race when you need to use it.
Old 27-03-2011, 13:02   #40

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Well, it looks like I've narrowed it down to two choices for a new diesel. One is the Beta Marine 38hp model, which I can get shipped to Toronto by air from the UK for about $10,500 plus HST. The second choice is the Yanmar H5E-3JH5ExKM35P which looks to be about $1500 more expensive.

The Yanmar looks like the better fit, both below the level of the mounts and above the mounts (vertical clearance below the cockpit sole), plus it just seems more compact. I'll know more in a week or so once I can get down to the boat for some decent measurements.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 13:24   #41
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

For a cruising boat, especially that size the only purpose for an outboard would be until you can get your inboard working. In my personal opinion a beffy inboard on a sailboat is a piece of safety equipment an outboard (especially in rough weather) will not keep you off a lee shore.

Tags
diesel, outboard, sloop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: