Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-02-2011, 19:02   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Re: Opinions needed Re removing diesel and using outboard on a 38 foot sloop

All of the above!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 19:32   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, Sabre... this thread may set a new CF record for concurrence! I'll add my advice to not go the outboard route. All in all, a bad idea for all of the reasons that have been mentioned.

I notice that there has been no further input from the OP relative to the queries about actual condition of the extant diesel... wonder where he has gone?

Cheers,

Jim

Old 27-02-2011, 19:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, Sabre... this thread may set a new CF record for concurrence! I'll add my advice to not go the outboard route. All in all, a bad idea for all of the reasons that have been mentioned.

I notice that there has been no further input from the OP relative to the queries about actual condition of the extant diesel... wonder where he has gone?

Cheers,

Jim
Hopefully he is not removing his diesel!
Old 28-02-2011, 12:31   #19

I really think resale value is the most important point here. If you EVER expect to sell this boat, then you will completely TRASH the resale value by taking the diesel out.

Frankly, you couldn't GIVE me a boat like that! The expense and inconvenience of rebuilding the boat to put a proper diesel back into it would just make it completely NOT worth it!
Old 28-02-2011, 15:02   #20

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

I am going to go out on a limb here and say:

I think a freshwater cooled diesel generator would be cool. You could install an electric motor, battery bank, and have a great supply of 120 for hot water, cabin heat, lighting etc.
Old 28-02-2011, 19:58   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

I considered electric but there is a lot of efficiency lost in electric generation to power a very large motor. I think a small boat with solar panels and wind generation and a Honda EU2000 for backup might be ok but you can't run the electric system near as long as a diesel engine will run on a few gallons of fuel.
kind regards,
Old 28-02-2011, 20:23   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I am going to go out on a limb here and say:

I think a freshwater cooled diesel generator would be cool. You could install an electric motor, battery bank, and have a great supply of 120 for hot water, cabin heat, lighting etc.
Tager, did it occur to you that your response would cost WAY more than rebuilding his extant engine... and then still require running a diesel engine (the genset) to provide propulsion? Try again, mate -- it might "be cool" but not the answer to the OP's dilemma (cash flow, etc).

Cheers,

Jim
Old 28-02-2011, 20:28   #23
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
Thumbs down Re: Removing Diesel and Using Outboard on 38' Sloop - Opinions ?

Don't do it... if it was a 30ftr I'd say hang a bracket on the stern with an O/B and use it till better times.... but a 38ftr... and cutting a hole in her... Uh... no way..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 13:24   #24

Re: Removing Diesel and Using Outboard on 38' Sloop - Opinions ?

I'm a diesel mechanic, so I appreciate a good diesel as well as the next guy, but, about 2 years ago, I pulled the inboard out of my Westerly & hung an outboard on the stern. I like the simplicity the O/B offers. It's lighter, more hp, and no holes in the bottom of my boat. I would not put a well in if it doesn't allow you to lift the prop out of the water. I capped over the aft end of the shaft tube, or whatever you call it, so I can drop another inboard in if I decide I need one. My 32' wooden sloop, at 7 tons, was designed with a 3 hp inboard with an optional 6 hp.

I think one important question to ask yourself is how much do you use your motor? I use mine for the first & last 10 or 15 minutes of a sail so the O/B works fine for me. If you're one of those guys, be honest here, who motors around while the wind blows, you might want to keep your diesel. You never did say if it is broken or just tired.

Perhaps one of the best reasons to keep the diesel is the damned ethanol-fuel. Nothing, since worms, has been as big a pain in the butt to boaters as ethanol.
Old 03-03-2011, 14:13   #25

Boat: 24' sailing paraw - traditional Filipino

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Not a good idea. A well maintained outboard won't last 1/4th as long as a poorly maintained diesel. You won't have as much motoring ability outside the harbor and you won't have as much battery charging ability and you'll use a ton of gas.
Plus you'll need to rework all of the controls in addition to building a well. The best outboard well is still another hole in your boat and I don't know about yours but my boat already has too many holes in it now.
And carry two to three times as much fuel to cover the same mileage
Old 04-03-2011, 00:12   #26

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Ok, Dumb idea.

Anyway, the diesel that's in it now is a 1978 Volvo Penta MD-17c. When I bought the boat, I had it checked over by a mechanic. Seemed ok, started fine. However, it appears that the rear oil seal is history, probably dried out because the engine sat for about 5 years without periodic turning over or anything. It spit the entire contents of the oil pan into the bilge. It also smokes. Not badly but noticeable. Plus the bugger lives half in the main cabin with me. I've priced out two different Beta Marine diesels, and was planning on getting one or the other. I've got 35hp, so I can go down to 30 or up to 39 and probably still fit the new one in.

It also appears that I made the classic mistake when winterizing. Being used to a Yanmar 3GM, with heat exchanger, I just spun the engine over until pink stuff came out the exhaust. In other words, the thermostat never opened and the block was never winterized. It's sat for one and a half winters with fresh water in it, and the temp has for sure gone into the -10-20 range. The Nanni Diesel rep came out to check the boat out for space and what not, as I was thinking of the Nanni as well. He asked me how I winterized the Volvo, and told me of my error. He pulled the plugs out of the block. It was still full of water, so maybe the block didn't crack.

Anyway, the engine may well be toast, if not its gotta be rebuilt or replaced. Given the estimates I've had in my neck of the woods, it will be just about even to put in a new engine. Since the shaft log is rotten, and the prop strut was put together with thin wall tube for the bearing and is almost rotted away too, I figure it simpler to just rip the Volvo out, and then rebuild the bearers, shaft log and prop strut all in one go. The space under the cockpit is a mess and needs to be redone, and the fuel tank needs to be rebuilt. The original owner put the fuel hook up on the bottom of the tank instead of from the top with a pickup tube, so that's got to be redone. Besides which, the tank hasn't seen the light of day or been cleaned out since built in 78 or 79. (home made 40 gallon tank) as they never bothered to put access hatches in and then shoved it right tight under the side deck so no one could get at it anyway.

The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to order the Beta 39, have it shipped here and get started on ripping out the old junk. If I gotta pull the old one out to get it overhauled, with the prices they are quoting, I may as well rebuild the whole engine room and get a new engine. End of problem.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:54   #27

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I think you and I will be talking in person before long...
Old 04-03-2011, 10:15   #28

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Yeh, more than likely. Where is your boat at? I'm at the bottom of Kipling Ave, below Humber College.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:25   #29
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

What they ALL said: Don't do it...

M.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:28   #30

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
Yeh, more than likely. Where is your boat at? I'm at the bottom of Kipling Ave, below Humber College.

Sabre
National YC on the hard. My other boat's going to Marina Quay West on a time-share plan.

Tags
diesel, outboard, sloop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: