Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2011, 06:51   #1

Boat: Catalina 27
Removing Atomic 4 Engine from My Catalina 27

I recently acquired a 1978 Catalina 27 with a non-working Atomic 4 engine. Previous owner attached a motor mount on the transom and used a 9 hp to get in and out of port. This suits me fine as I can not afford to have the Atomic rebuilt. Consequently, I would like to remove the engine to lighten the boat.
I'm doing this on land at a local marina. After the engine is out, I also want to remove the prop shaft and plug the prop shaft hole. Does anyone have any experience or advice on doing this. Or, for that matter plugging all of the other thru-hull fittings which I am no longer using for any plumbing. I'm basically turning this boat into a day sailer.
ppenoyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 07:17   #2

Boat: Pearson, 28-1
Re: Removing Atomic 4 engine from my Catalina 27

Hello Peter,

A good, permanent, fill of the holes can be made with fiberglass and epoxy. Here is a quick summary of what's involved. First, remove the fittings from the holes so that they are bare fiberglass/gelcoat. You then dish out the holes with a grinder so that they are concave and you have a nice clean surface to apply the new resin/glass to. After that you layer the glass/epoxy into the holes until flush with the exterior of the hull, sand and fair, paint and sail.

It's not a difficult process but there is more to it than I've listed here. You can find a lot of good guides (west systems has one) on this exact job since it is so common and can probably find folks around to answer questions that come up. Grinding into the boat may be a bit weird at first but you'll get used to it, though you may never get used to the itchiness of ground fiberglass.

Jonathan
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 08:08   #3

Re: Removing Atomic 4 Engine from My Catalina 27

Thanks Jonathan. Sounds simple enough.

Pete
Old 13-07-2011, 17:31   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Why not just remove the propeller, leaving the coupling hardware in place. Tighten the stuffing box and then antifoul everthing.

It would be cheaper, and the next owner could easily install a diesel, or you may change your mind or even come across a good cheap small diesel.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 17:45   #5

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Yer gonna have one problem...it is one I am dealing with right now...she was designed to sit and sail at her design waterline plus cargo...yank 4-600 lbs of iron out of her you will jack up the physics of the boat...keep everything you take out of her and chuck it in the back of the truck and go get it weighed...or weigh it at the scrapyard...be prepared to reballast the boat with similar weight in a similar location...I am having to do it the hard way...all the tanks, engine, and tranny were removed by the idiot former owner, so I am having to figure the lever arms and ballast requirements empirically....playing with water jugs now...but have to install battery banks, my water tank and gray water tank as well as finishing in the engine room as a pilot berth/gear locker...and rewire it all...yay me..
Have fun, but think your way through it carefully....
Oh...consider a rowlock at the stern for a sculling oar...the pardeys have sold me on that one....
Old 13-07-2011, 17:56   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopi View Post
...I am having to do it the hard way...all the tanks, engine, and tranny were removed by the idiot former owner, so I am having to ....
For what it's worth, nearly all former owners are "idiot former owners." To qualify as a idiot former owner, all one has to do is own a cordless drill. On the other hand, if one wants to become a super-idiot former owner, one has to own a sawzall as well.
Old 13-07-2011, 19:57   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Just my opinion but I would not fill the hole where the prop shaft is but just plug it with a wood dowel and bit of fiberglass cloth over the end of it because I would want that option in a Catalina 27. Would be fun to try electric or a very small diesel. You might do it like was mentioned and leave the shaft there for the next owner.
Catalina 27s came with inboards or without so you won't be changing the lines much but will be removing quite a bit of weight.
Good luck in whatever decision you make.
kind regards,
Old 13-07-2011, 20:15   #8

Boat: Tartan 34C

Dont be too afraid of going places with a transom mounted 9.9:

Sovereignty: A Unique Catalina 27 (hull # 65) - Sovereignty & Personal Freedom

Where are you? I might be interested in the A4 for parts.

John
Wilmington, NC
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 07:02   #9

Good an much welcomed thoughts from all.
Regarding the weight, I read somewhere that removing the engine will raise the waterline about an inch, which is not much. However, my transom mounted engine's prop is barely deep enough in the water now, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. If it's a problem, I suppose i could always get my crew to stand on the stern until I raise my sails. Would hate to have to re-mount the transom bracket.

My boat is on the Magothy river just north of Annapolis, Md. I've had a few people contact me regarding parts. Call or email me if you're interested. 410-757-1870 or ppenoyar@comcast.net

Thanks again for thoughts.

Pete
Old 14-07-2011, 12:36   #10

You'll be having a bit of a problem unless you can get a longer shaft on your outboard or can lower it further. Once you've gotten out in a seaway of any kind your outboard will be lifting out of the water at each wave.
kind regards,
Old 18-07-2011, 20:34   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

we have a CATALINA 36 at our marina that had the motor removed and it looks a little silly .. the stern is higher than it should be .. and the bow looks like it is pointing down. the atomic 4 weighs over 300 pounds.
Old 19-07-2011, 12:04   #12

Best solution is to put some extra batteries where the engine was if trim is an issue.
kind regards,
Old 19-07-2011, 12:08   #13

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Why not just remove the propeller, leaving the coupling hardware in place. Tighten the stuffing box and then antifoul everthing.

It would be cheaper, and the next owner could easily install a diesel, or you may change your mind or even come across a good cheap small diesel.
There be wisdom in these words... ignore them at your peril.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 08:12   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

I have been repairing Atomic Fours since 1967 and have an active business rebuilding A4's and other old flat heads for the last 15 years.
I sell rebuilt A4's for $3,000 raw water cooled or $4,000 closed coolant system. Your engine may only need a tune up. Have you determined what is wrong with it?

A 15HP outboard will cost you $2,500 or more, are hard to control from the cockit and dangerous.

With minimal maintenance an A4 will provide many years of safe propulsion for your Catalina 27. Over 80% of all new boats sold in the USA each year are gasoline powered. Just pay attention and use the best odor detector ever created - your NOSE.

Go to the moyermarine.com website and see what us "Afourians" are up to.

Tom
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 17:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
we have a CATALINA 36 at our marina that had the motor removed and it looks a little silly .. the stern is higher than it should be .. and the bow looks like it is pointing down. the atomic 4 weighs over 300 pounds.
Let you have my ex to counterweight.
dupek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, engine