Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2011, 12:39   #1

Boat: Bristol,
Redoing the Non-Skid

Whats the best thing to use to cover and resurface the molded non skid? I have a few dings and hoping to cover them up in the process.
DHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 12:46   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Re doing the Non Skid

Don't know if its the best but when I do mine I plan on trying KiwiGrip. I did my last boat with Awlgrip and it turned out fantastic but its gotten too pricy for my blood.

KiwiGrip

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 13:11   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Doing the Non Skid

Are you thinking of paint?

I have always used International deck paint for the floor of my dive ribs. It is pleasant to walk on in bare feet, offers great grip even when wet and is easily to touch up if damaged by dive cylinders or weight belts. Oh and it doesn't fade.

However, preparation is everything. That's going to mean scrubbing, then scrubbing and finally more scrubbing with pan scourer. The first time I did it properly and is stuck well, send time I skimped on the prep and it lifted in a couple of areas.

It's a cost effective finish.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 13:13   #4

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

If you have a pretty rigid deck, another option is to grind flat all the old molded-in tread, fill with epoxy and micro-balloons (grind some more, etc), and then lay TreadMaster "tiles" down with epoxy onto your perfectly smooth and prepped surface. Final step is to use either epoxy paint or (my choice) two-part polyurethane paint between the tilings. Try this method first on your cockpit sole, and then give it a while to see if you like it.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 13:44   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Personally I dont like Kiwi Grip or Treadmaster because of their texture. That slight rubbery softness that makes it grippy totally turns me off. I also think it's harder to keep really clean, especially Kiwi Grip with it's stipple. I prefer Griptex fine mixed about 50/50 with Griptex medium in either Awlgrip with flattening agent or waxed gelcoat. I've done lots of gelcoat decks even on painted boats because it's super durable and easy to keep clean. The secret is mixing in the Griptex first and then spraying it for a perfectly even skid pattern with no laps. Grind, fair in poly, then primer gel, then Griptex. Easy to repair dings too. JMHO..
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 14:40   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Redoing the Non Skid

I think if you do a search on this forum, you'll see other threads addressing this. I use Poly Linear Urethane with cabosil mixed in. I'll bet that Awlgrips Kiwigrip spun off of that technique.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 16:46   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

What is on your nonskid now? I'd go back with a 2 part epoxy if you have 2 part or gel coat on it now. It will last the longest. You can make repairs with epoxy or marine tex (which I like because it is UV resistant), and then prime and paint. I use Interlux Perfection. You can add their non-skid to the last coat. It's not quite as harsh as sand.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 09:27   #8

Boat: Bristol,

Guys sorry I haven't responded sooner. I like the paint ideas, grinding down the non skid for the rubber stuff sounds like way to much work. My deck has been painted once or twice since the original surface 39 years ago. I know of the Awlgrip but wasn't sure it there was something better. Thanks a lot.
DHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 09:59   #9

I have tried Kiwi Grip, Dura Max and Treadmaster. I havent done a whole boat with the first two, but here are my thoughts:
  • Kiwi Grip: This stuff seems like latex paint to me. Probably not as thick as good house paint. It gets it's non skid from the roller and is pretty subtle. If an edge doesnt adhere well, you can acxtually peel it like latex. I didnt like it. I rate it a 3 of 10.
  • DuraMax: This stuff is a very durable, covers flaws well, you can lay it on thick and it dries pretty hard. Sticks tenaciously even to poorly prepped surface. What I dont like is the amount of non skid in the paint. It's loaded with it. I stirred and stirred with electric stir-er, but the non skid in the paint still rolled out up to the size of a green pea at times. You can mash those lumps down, but it isnt a pretty job for a "yacht". For an old boat, tugboat etc it would be great. Real grippy. Probably a little hard on barefeet though! I think I heard they now have a "Lite" version.... maybe it doesnt have so much particle load? I rate it an 8 of 10.
  • Treadmaster: I had the teak decks removed on my HC38, deck painted and put treadmaster on with Epoxy. It's a big messy job and costly too. It looked wonderful when done. It is hard on barefeet, maybe more so than Duramax. I have also done small slippery spots with patches of Treadmaster with 5200. This would be a tough job on a big project, but is a very superior way to do it. It's like homogenious with the fiberglass when it's done! I spread the 5200 with a notched trowel, 1/32" notches I believe. I talked with a boater who had it on his steel boat, he had used common contact cement and was looking pretty good after 3 years. The hard part with Treadmaster is making sure it stays down until the adhesive sets up. Weights, tape etc are needed. You kind of have to do it a few patches at a time, moving around the boat.
If you want it to look pretty, yacht quality, then awlgrip with sand is probably the best way to go. Although you might check into Duramax Lite...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 10:52   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

...actually with Awlgrip mixed with Cabosil, you can control the finish quite easily. A short nap roller works fine...WEAR A MASK!!! Not only for mixing the Cabosil, which is like a dust, but for the toxicity of the Awlgrip.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 11:21   #11

Boat: Pearson 281

Sand and Pro-Line 2 part polyurethane.
Pro-Line is a Sherwin-Williams product that gives a really hard finish. It's used by the tugs in LA Harbor. I don't know about availability outside the U.S.
25 grit sand is a bit harsh but it works really well... I prefer to buy the sand loose as opposed to the playbox sand in plastic bags which is always wet and has to be dried before application.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 11:26   #12

Boat: Pearson 281

Oh, with enough coats over the sand and good tapework this method ends up looking great!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 06:16   #13

Boat: 22' pop top catlina and 15' designers choice

Here is a idea and lemme ask. What about truck liners? I have a john boat that I used herculiner in and that stuff is TOUGH and non skid. comes in colors and sticks to everything. Just ask my cat!
Wishinforwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 06:50   #14
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I've done some commercial boat decks in Rhino Liner. Works good, quite durable, but I wouldn't call it a yacht finish.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 08:30   #15

Boat: 22' pop top catlina and 15' designers choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I've done some commercial boat decks in Rhino Liner. Works good, quite durable, but I wouldn't call it a yacht finish.

Ahh Ok I can see what ya mean. It is a bit .. rough looking.. Not a clean enough finish. Thank you !
Wishinforwind is offline   Reply With Quote