Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2013, 10:25   #1

recs for under 3500lbs trailer sailer?

Hi all,

Living in SFBay has gotten me addicted to sailing. I will move to TN/KY shortly and would like to continue sailing.

One option would be a trailerable sailboat, however buying a truck for towing is not desired.

So... any suggestions on a decent trailerable sailboat that is under 3500 lbs WITH trailer and gear that can sleep 2 adults and 3 young children? Is that even possible?

My plan would be to store it in/near our local lake, but the option to drive to other lakes seems nice, however I would not be towing it every weekend somewhere new, so ease of set up nice but not critical.

Cheers and thanks,
nbourbaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 10:37   #2

Re: recs for under 3500lbs trailer sailer?

Look into a Macgregor. They are water ballast so the weight is kept low for trailering. When you put them in the water the tank is filled with water giving you the weight.

Many Macgregor haters in the sailing world, but they serve a purpose. Probably other water ballast sailboats out there.
RonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 16:25   #3

I've read a lot about the macgeegors and the pros and cons. I'll certainly consider them.

What are the other alternatives that keep under that weight? I am having a harder time finding them.

Cheers
Old 24-10-2013, 17:17   #4

Boat: Watkins 29'
The Hunter H260 is another water ballasted trailer sailboat. The Hunter may be a little more robust than the MacGregor, more expensive too... Another boat you may want to consider is a Catalina 22', they are great sailers and easy to set up and knock down. You can pick one of those up for peanuts and probably get most of your peanuts back when you are done with it.
Old 24-10-2013, 18:55   #5

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

You can pick up an old Buccaneer 24 for about $1,000 to $2,000. I assume with the kids, comfort and space are more important than racing ability. My old '76 Buc had a V berth, a mini V berth for 2kids under 4, and a second double berth under the cockpit. Mine was a 1976, made before Bayliner bought out the original Buccaneer company. It was well designed, well made, and had no blisters. Some are available with trailers.

Its 32 inch draft can get you close to shore, and it is pretty stable to sail. There is a sink and stove, and a small head enclosure. The U shaped table will accommodate your whole brood. If you want a floating cottage that also sails, a Buc 24 is a good choice.

There are many who will badmouth the Buccaneers, but they are long on comfort and space, and sail fairly well, though they don't point very high. Most who have owned them have warm memories of them. They are an entry level boat that won't bankrupt you.

The Catalinas are better sailing boats, but will cost a bit more, and have a bit less space. As a single man, I would definitely choose the Catalina 22, but with a family of 5, the Buccaneer is a good choice.

There were a lot of them built, and I see them regularly on Craig's list.
Old 24-10-2013, 20:05   #6

Thanks for the additional models! They all seem pretty affordable as well. Always nice.

Out of curiosity what would fit my requirements if cost wern't an issue?
Old 24-10-2013, 22:58   #7

Boat: 2004 Looping 48 Catamaran

The water ballast catalina 250 is a about 3200 lbs but then you have the trailer which will be pushing your limit. Lots of room and a comfy weekender. I have the wing keel version and love it. I had a catalina 22 for my first boat and it was great. A bit small for the size of your family. The mcgregor 25 might be a good option as I believe they are light weight boats with room. I am a fan of the catalina boats but the size you need will push your tow weight limits. Any boat you get that will fit your family is going to be 25' at least. This will add set up and tear down time if you are trailer sailing. If you can keep it on the water you will sail more often and can borrow or hire a tow truck for launch and retreival. I tried the trailer sailing for a year and then paid for a mooring and never looked back. Kids get bored with set up and tear down.
Tahoe Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 23:05   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I have a compact 23 which I am happy with. It would be a bit more than the boats you are looking at but worth it IMHO.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 23:19   #9

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

nbourbaki, I just purchased a Buccaneer 240 on a trailer. According to SailboatData.com, the boat weighs 4000 lbs on an 1100 lb trailer, somewhat over your stated weight limit. Scads of room inside (Winnebago on the water) / Very shallow draft (2.5 ft) / Not great to windward, but then "Gentlemen don't sail to windward!" / Quite inexpensive today. George

If you decide to pitch the weight limit, look at the Buccaneer 285 with the Volvo diesel. Center cockpit / wheel steering / clean transom with room for a swim platform / aft stateroom for privacy / shallow draft / enclosed head with hand shower / Quite inexpensive
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 23:24   #10

I suggest starting to get Small Craft Advisor. They deal with this kind of question all the time, and review lots of boats that size. Their small ads are also a good place to pick up a boat.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail