Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2008, 09:50   #1

Reconsidering size of 1st boat

Hello again, after reading numerous threads on the forum I am starting to re-think the size of my 1st boat. I initially had the cost in mind as a major factor, keep the price down and see how I like sailing. Problem I am considering now is if I go too small, the experience may not be as good as it should/could be. I am considering a tanzer 7.5 at the moment, I like the cost and the features of this boat and the shallow draft, I am concerned that in heavy weather on open lake ontario, I could be in for a rough ride. I am looking at single handing so can't go too big, does anyone have suggestions on what length would be safe on lake ontario, I am thinking between 30-32 ft. Looking for something with a relatively shallow draft, would like to stay below 30k if possible. Any and all info is appreciated, John.
radar912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 09:54   #2

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
From what I hear, the coast guard ships can have a rough ride on the great lakes. Just go for the size you're comfortable with and can afford, almost invariably, a well built boat can handle more than the sailor.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 09:59   #3

Boat: Mariner M31 Ketch
Size Matters

I'm not very familiar with lake sailing, I live on the West Coast and primarily sail the Columbia River and cruise the Pacific Coast, I'm sure there are similarities though. I think your choice of 30-32 feet is a good one, depending on how it is setup for singlehanded sailing. I found my 31 foot Ketch to very accomodating to single handing, a shollow draft, heavy (slow), but comfortable for overnighting. Also: don't forget some kind of "snooze pilot" like a windvane or auto. You'll be surprised how tired you get sitting behind a tiller hours on end. It's nice just take a break, fish, read a book or just take a siesta.

Good luck in your search.
BluesTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 10:01   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Just because you are singlehanding does not constrain the size of the boat. after all there are single handers who go round the world in 90 ft boats!

If you want shallow draft, then perhaps a lifting keel boat such as the southerly might be suitable, but would be more than your budget. There are cheaper reasonable sized boats, but they tend to be deep keel.
Old 16-09-2008, 10:08   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Second guessing your first boat seems par for the course. Probably because you've been thinking a lot about it. You can't fault that at all. The decision is always more complicated than then first take.

The Great Lakes can get steep chop. We get that here on the Chesapeake. At 7.5 meters you really will be in for some wild rides in that stuff. Friends kept a 27 Sabre in Sodus Bay, NY for many years and thought well of it for Lake Ontario. They have a 34 Sabre now here on the Chesapeake.

With longer boats come a lot more stability but also all the expenses too. It's not an all or nothing deal. With any boat on the Great Lakes you pick your day. With that one restriction you should be fine with any boat. Bigger boats give the ability to haul more stuff and carry larger tanks of water and fuel. They all take a beating better than you can. There lies the advantage you can never have in a smaller boat. You are forced to stay within those limits. Given the day you are still out there and still sailing.

Don't break the bank to sail a bigger boat or you won't be sailing very much. What ever way gets you out there more is probably the better solution. Boats cost a lot so getting more days on the water is the only dividend you get.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 12:53   #6

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
For what it's worth. I have friends who just moved up to a Sabre 30 after years on Lake Ontario with a 24 footer. To say they're thrilled with the extra room and seaworthiness would be an understatement. Here's a link with several in your price range.

Sabre (Sail) Cruiser Boats For Sale

Good Luck!!!
Old 16-09-2008, 15:40   #7

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
OK, I sail on Lake Ontario. I have a 27-foot Mirage, displaces about 5,200 pounds. She's not a heavy weather, take anything boat -- or at least not comfortably. (I suspect she can take more than I can,in fact.)

But when it's really nasty, the simple answer is don't go there. The nice thing about Lake Ontario is you're probably never more than about four hours from shelter. Sure, thngs can get rough quickly, but if you're paying attention you shouldn't get into too much trouble.

That said, lots of people sail Tanzer 9.5s -- we have a bunch in our club -- and they seem to get on just fine.

Connemara
Connemara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 18:26   #8

Thanks for all the info, Dave, took a look around the Canadian boat for sale sites, couldn't find any of the sabres you recommend, only in the US, is it a big hassle to bring one over? Connemara, I am looking at a 7.5, quite a bit smaller than 9.5, yes I can only sail on nice days but if I get caught out, bringing the little boat home with an outboard could be tough. I don't know where I am going with sailing but am against limiting myself or being unsafe if I can avoid it. I am 3 years from retiring, I can envision myself spending a great deal of time on the right boat so buying the wrong one from the get go would only complicate my life in me having to sell it again later. Seems everytime I look at a small boat it's being sold by someone who traded up to a 30+ boat, this is what has me questioning my original decision to stay small.

John
Old 16-09-2008, 18:55   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I am 3 years from retiring, I can envision myself spending a great deal of time on the right boat so buying the wrong one from the get go would only complicate my life in me having to sell it again later.
It's not about the wrong boat. It's about what you can do. You can do what ever it is you can in any boat. It's about accpeting limitations that present themselves in ways yiou should be able to learn and understand. It's easy to say I can't do something today. It's another thing to say you can never do something ever. You can learn more than you already know.

You can get a boat that works for you and do what you can do or learn to do. You can learn the limits of what you choose to take on and you can accept the things you care to pass on. It's not the problem of picking the wrong boat. The boat is never really the limiting factor.

It's about giving your best shot at something and accepting the resuts. You don't have to kill yourself to prove you were right. It would be all the better to have had more fun than anyone ever did in any boat. How could that be a bad idea?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 01:24   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar912 View Post
I am considering a tanzer 7.5 at the moment, I like the cost and the features of this boat and the shallow draft, I am concerned that in heavy weather on open lake ontario, I could be in for a rough ride. I am looking at single handing so can't go too big, does anyone have suggestions on what length would be safe on lake ontario, I am thinking between 30-32 ft.

Our boat is 7.7m. We didn't have a lot of boat supply here and so limited choices. Doing it over would have been 31-36 tops for the "practice boat."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 14:38   #11

Hey John

My friends had no problem bringing it over. They actually hired a delivery captain rather than have it trucked. The only real issue you have is to ensure that the boat is manufactured in North America. Under NAFTA rules, there is no duty to pay. You only pay the same taxes at the border crossing as you would if you bought in Canada.

Here's a link to the government web site.

Purchase / Transfer of Boat - Office of Boating Safety - Transport Canada

Again, good luck!
Old 18-09-2008, 15:06   #12

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Under 30k gives you a huge choice of boats 35 Ft and under. My personal opinion is to buy cheap and spend the money on upgrades if you are able to do the work. That way you know what you have. Here in the US you look in the yards and find a boat that you like with expired registration and contact the owner. I have bought several fine boats this way.

Saber, Pearson, Mariner, Ericson, Cal, Oday are just a few of the bargins out there for sailing the great lakes. . I bought an Oday 27 for $800 slapped some bottom paint on her and sailed 60 miles home. Great fun. Donated it a few years later and a young couple sailed her to Florida.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 15:36   #13

Dave, that's great, no duty, are used boats taxable? Last time I purchased a boat in Canada and then registered it with service Canada, I paid no tax. Happened this summer as a matter of fact, perhaps a bill will arrive later? Will, I would love to find a boat that was sound and needing only upgrades, I need to learn a few things before I start repairing boats, pricing the addons can be difficult as well, are they easy to find used. I imagine autopilot, furling gear etc are pricey new.
Old 18-09-2008, 15:49   #14

Hey John

Sorry. Used boats are taxable. I'm told it takes approx. two years for them to send the letter requesting proof of payment of PST. You'll have to pony up then or face the music. Of course, if by then you're off in some ocean...

Will and I differ in that he's apparently handy while I'm apparently lazy. My philosophy is to let someone else upgrade her and then buy it when she's ready to go. "Splash and Go".
Old 18-09-2008, 16:52   #15

Ouch, guess I have a few bills in the mail, bout two boats, sold one this year, not expensive so not a big deal. Ideally I would like to buy a fully equipped boat at the right price, let the other guy pay for the upgrades.