Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 12:20   #1

Boat: Still Dreaming of the Day
Recommendations Please?

Hello everyone, I am looking for recommendations for boat manufacturers that provide the following: (my wife and family request)
We need a transom allowing our Lab to sail with us....
We need a interior that has a large back berth for the parents
We need enough cabins for two additional kids, boy and girl 16.
I would appreciate suggestions of boat styles to look for.

Thank you
Alabama Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:35   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Recommendations Please?

A Lab is a big dog for a boat. It might be a little tricky to design, but if you're good with tools, you could make a lower-able boarding platform for the dog to board the boat and that might solve that problem, with a catamaran, or a mono that has "easy" steps the rest of the way into the cockpit. ...or are you considering a motor vessel?

With 16 yr. old twins of different genders, you will need three private areas.

If you plan to home school, consider how that will work in terms of space sharing.

Take the wife and kids and go look at boats and firm up what your ideas are a bit more, and it'll be easier for the forum to help. Tell us your sailing experience, and where you plan to sail. It may be tricky to balance your space requirements with your experience, and going cruising really isn't like loading up an SUV for a weekend camping.

Ann

P.S.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:57   #3

I'd look at something like a Beneteau with a swim step transom etc. an ex charter boat will have three large cabins. It helps to know your plans (coastal sailing? round the world? roaring 40's?) and budget.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:30   #4

Thank you both for the reply.... Let me clarify a bit. We would like a sailboat here in the Gulf Coast area ( I live in the Gulfshores AL area ) allowing for weekend sailing spending the weekend nights on the boat. At a couple of times during the year, we would like to sail for an extended time down the gulf coast to the Keys, etc.
During this time, we would like a large enough boat allowing for our family to be comfortable in cabin and onboard..
This would then get a lot of sail time recorded for various type sailing and allowing my wife and I to become prepared for after the kids leave and sailing ourselves for longer extended times. At this point, I am not looking for boats providing for cross ocean crossing.

I am looking for recommendations on what "make" of boat and maybe what "style" of boat to consider that might meet our desires..

Thank you so much...
Bill
Old 10-06-2013, 08:47   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Pretty much anything made in modern times from the mainstream manufacturers (Beneteau / Hunter etc) around the 40 - 45 foot mark. They all make varying layouts (with different cabin numbers - albeit definition of cabin may be a bit generous!). I think they all have "Sugar Scoop" transoms nowadays.

Think Sunsail charter boat in style / design.

Different boats, but all much the same

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:41   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Lagoon 380 catamaran would work. So long as your Lab can teach himself to climb ladders like Balrog did
Attached Files
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:44   #7
Marine Service Provider

In the gulf coast draft is of the utmost concern... An ex charter boat is a good deal, but the moorings/sunsail boats over 40fy have 6+ft drafts...
Old 10-06-2013, 10:06   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
In the gulf coast draft is of the utmost concern... An ex charter boat is a good deal, but the moorings/sunsail boats over 40fy have 6+ft drafts...
Most Beneteau cruisers up to 43 feet have a draft of less than 6 feet.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I cant see a Lab and a sailing boat being a good mix at all.

dave
Old 10-06-2013, 10:43   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum,

Just a bit more information might help get you better answers. Main question is budget. For a couple million or so you could have a custom built cruiser with a hydraulic dog lift on the stern and private cabins for all in the family.

I'm guessing this is not what you're looking for but seriously the answer will be very different if you want to spend $20,000 or $50,000 or $100,000 or $200,000. You know of course with boats there is generally a minimum cost to get started but no maximum. Basically you can spend as much as you like, even for a smaller boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:57   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
The lab can learn to board most anything with a scoop transom. I myself would lean toward a cat with the limited info you put up. As you start to sail away when the kids get older the aging dog will be more comfy without worrying about going up and down the companionway ladder. The companionway has been a larger problem for my dogs over the years. Getting them on board is the easy part

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:00   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Having helped a friend with his lab and a sailing boat, the damm dog has spent more time falling off it ( or the dinghy) then he has in it. Its a damm big heavy mut to lift when hes wet and terrified.

Not withstanding the fact that the lack of movement space drives him mad.

Im a dog lover, I hate seeing dogs shore-horned into situations best suited to its owner rather then the dog.

Dave
Old 10-06-2013, 12:12   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Take a look at some catamarans. I'm not good on knowing catamaran makes, but I've definitely seen a lot that are "big-dog-friendly" both for getting aboard initially and having no companionway to negotiate (as well as much less heeling). A catamaran will have much better on draft for the gulf and you'll be able to find some family-friendly layouts, too.

And by the way, I know TONS of dogs of all sizes that love living on a boat, so it's more about the dog's personality and style than "all dogs love it" or "all hate it."

The Boat Galley - making your boat life better with a weekly newsletter, free and low-cost courses, handy references and document organizers
The Boat Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:34   #14

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat

We have a catamaran, and two Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. Granted, we don't have scoop transoms like Monte's Lagoon 380, but we make due.

Water dogs are happy on the water, and my dogs love it. My dogs would rather swim, and I am sure that your Lab is the same... so exercise is not a problem! 20 minutes swimming after a tennis ball keeps them tired out all day! A little fresh-water-wash-down, and they're out on the back deck, drying off and napping!

I will say that a monohull is harder with a companionway... we had one dog when we owned our 30 ft monohull. He jumped onto the quarter berth, and then to the floor.... same thing to get out and into the cockpit.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and you will figure out a way to get your dog aboard if you need to. We've been creative, and we still have a couple of ideas we are going to try.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Octopussy

Follow the adventure at S/V Octopussy
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 14:38   #15

Thanks again for everyone giving me a lot to think about.... I will still try to provide a bit more info. To be honest, I am not worried about the Lab. We and she will adapt! I am more worried about getting what my wife will be comfortable with. My budget at this time is $50 to $80K. That could change with time during this year. Most likely will be ready for purchase in the fall. Remember we live in LA...Lower Alabama, THE redneck Rivera !!! And boating can be good in late fall up to December, if we don't have Hurricanes.

Keep it coming and thanks for the help with this new sailing family. I think this summer we are going to try and get some sailing time on some smaller boats in Pensacola for day sails..