Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2010, 18:41   #1

Recommendations for Family Boat

Hello all. Have read,been entertained and educated by the forum for years so thanks. Will once again ask a question that has been been answered indirectly on several occassions but needs updating. What boat best fits my needs?

I have mostly book knowledge and little practical so I need some help in picking out the next family boat. I've sailed mostly mississippi sound on hunter 32 until katrin a took her and now have a 26 water ballast macgregor on a small lake 10 mins from home. Not a bad ride for a quickie by the way. Both of these had/have Spartan accommodations and therefore not conducive to family sailing(kids 14,8,6 and a wife that does not camp out)

In addition I'm mid career with only a few 4day weekendsnand a couple weeks a year to sail so little time for a fixer-upper (sounding like a new production boat with some room maybe 50 ft with generous beam)

Most of my sailing will be in gulf of mexico with occasional trip to key west but would like ability to cross gulfmstream and sail carribean shorthanded( coastal cruisernwith shoal keel)

I enjoy sailing and do not want to sacrifice performance at all costs but efficient and easy sail handling helpful (in-mast furling and electric winches could be helpful) as maybe sailing with minimal crew.

In short, there is no serious blue water in my future and do not want to wait to enjoy the sailing life until I can afford an oyster (maybe never)

I have a short list and am going to annapolis in the next couple of weeks to have a look. They are in no certain order the jeanneau 53, beneteau 50sense(the polars are crazy fast and the 50 first may also be cost prohibitive),Bavaria 55, hanse 545, and dufour 485.

These manufacturers have all been covered ad naseum in this forum but would like some opinion on these newer models.
Lr582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 03:10   #2

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop
These are all relatively flat bottom, production quality boats. They would sail and care very differently than an Oyster. I'm not a fan of the larger Bendy Toys or Jeanneau. They tend to be built for people who like interiors but not sailing. I fear that the veneers might not last more than a few seasons in family use as well.

Given you might find yourself in open water and bad weather, I'd think about buying something 2-3 years old (but of higher quality) in that size. Its likely the same money but a better boat. Like a Hylas 49 or 54, a Moody 54, a Passport 485 or something like that. I'm biased to be sure, but getting caught in the wrong weather in a light boat with your family makes you think about safety.

FWIW

Rick
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 07:50   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr582 View Post
I have a short list and am going to annapolis in the next couple of weeks to have a look. They are in no certain order the jeanneau 53, beneteau 50sense(the polars are crazy fast and the 50 first may also be cost prohibitive),Bavaria 55, hanse 545, and dufour 485.

They are all fine boats, well build using quality modern production techniques. They will all last the distance both in time and location. All are quite fine to go around the world.

If I was buying an upgraded boat to mine I would be looking at this list.

Have fun.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote