Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 20:56   #1

Recommendation for a good GPS Chart Plotter

Hi all,
I have a 30' used sailboat, and I like to add a simple GPS that has a chart plotter map in it that shows depths too. ( i don't care about the fish finder option).
Any recommendation for a simple system that I can buy with readable size screen in the neighborhood of 4400-$600, and are the ones for sailboats different than the ones for power boats, or they are the same?
- Also is installing the transducer is something expensive?

Thanks,
andrew
openseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 21:19   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: recommendation for a good GPS Chart plotter

Does your boat already have depth and speed instruments? If so, what brand and model?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 21:34   #3

Most common brands available in marine stores are good. Depth transducers can be glued to the inside of the hull; no holes. GPS receiver can either be in the unit or attach to a rail. Some struggling to pull wires through, some figuring out power supply and you're away. Research charts cost as they can be expensive. Mount it at or near the helm, some charts have great information about the ports you enter but also the data is helpful for safety and trim. Consider accessories: autopilot, ems wind.
Carry a phone or tablet with backup navigation software.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 23:44   #4

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by openseas View Post
Hi all,
I have a 30' used sailboat, and I like to add a simple GPS that has a chart plotter map in it that shows depths too. ( i don't care about the fish finder option).
Any recommendation for a simple system that I can buy with readable size screen in the neighborhood of 4400-$600, and are the ones for sailboats different than the ones for power boats, or they are the same?
- Also is installing the transducer is something expensive?

Thanks,
andrew
Deals can be found across the web for the Garmin 740s. They might be a few hundred beyond what you are hoping to pay though.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 23:53   #5

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb

hi there open seas
I have a Irwin 28...did research on gps systems...I went to gps store on internet and picked up a garmin 441 and a ais combo for cheap than anyone else...check it out....pdjb
pdjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Does your boat already have depth and speed instruments? If so, what brand and model?

It has the factory depth gauge which is 34 years old, and speed gauge is not working
Old 02-06-2014, 23:54   #7

Boat: kuiper 32

I like my garmin 441 nice small unit,have heard that touch screens are useless when wet so beware
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:59   #8

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by openseas View Post
It has the factory depth gauge which is 34 years old, and speed gauge is not working
Ok. So they're not NMEA2000 Compatible. In that case, you're also going to have to replace your depth and speed instruments if you want to tie everything in together.

Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:38   #9

Re: Recommendation for a good GPS Chart Plotter

I've said it before, and most likely will get to do it again, 'cuz for some new boaters they don't understand the difference. IMHO, a basic handheld GPS with charts on it, which almost ALL OF THEM HAVE TODAY, IS simply a small chartplotter - same info.

Your boat, your choice, but I have found our handheld works just great unless your eyesight needs a 42" widescreen...

If you want something more sophisticated, then as suggested read the Garmin website.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:47   #10

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

If all you are going to do is daysailing with an occasional overnighter, then buy a Nexus 7 for about $200 and download MxMariner and the NOAA charts for your region. It works perfectly fine for that purpose. And you can use the Nexus for other things ;-).

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:03   #11
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I must be losing my vision. I thought he wanted position and depth. Not integrated with wind instruments. The phone won't do depth. NOAA charts are only near the USA.

If looking for a useful device that will give you GPS and a chart, look into an iPad with GPS chip and run Navionics software. Their database is working fine for us here in the TCI.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:17   #12

Look at the Garmin line, great products and you can buy the largest screen for your budget. Or you can get an iPad and a water proof case with Navionics or Garmin app and that would be great as well.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 20:34   #13

I stopped by West Marine today, to look in general. The guy there talked about a Garmin 741sx with a large tough screen, and many features. The instrument has $200.00 off now and is for $1300.00, but he also talked about an extra chip to buy for $300.00 for the Eastern coast.
He asked me where you want to put the transducer on your boat, and I had no clue what to answer.
Is this model something worth the investment?
Andy
Old 03-06-2014, 20:59   #14

Boat: Privilege P43

Defender.com is offering a SiTex integrated WAAS GPS chart plotter, external antenna, 5" "daylight readable" color display with Fathometer/fishfinder and your choice of NT charts for less than $300 in their clearance section.
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 21:09   #15

Boat: Newport 28

They are nice, but you have to ask yourself what you really want or need. And, also check to see if you need to purchase the transducer separately (which seems likely). And another thing is to check to see if you need one of the sonar boxes to decode the transducer to give you your depth.

I went through the same with my Standard Horizon stuff. Bought the transducer thinking it would plug into the back of the unit, but turns out I needed the fish finder box anyway, because it has to decode the transducer signal into something the plotter could read. So that $1300 chart plotter, could very easily run you into more like $1800 by the time you're said and done. Not counting the chart chip, though I see there's a $200 rebate back with that if you get them both, so it's only an extra $100 at the end of the day. Still, you're quite a bit above your budget from 4-600 at that point. Are they nice? Very. Just decide if it's going to be more than what you need, or if it's worth it to you to invest into that now, for the future use.

To answer your transducer question, btw... it depends on how comfortable you are with the various installation options. There's the thru-hull design, which requires you to either replace an existing one with a new one for the unit, or drill a new hole and install the new one. Ideally would require hauling the boat, it's risky to do that without a haul. Doable yes, but... not for the faint of heart.

Or, there are in-hull designs, like this:
http://www.westmarine.com/transducer...-pin--13178512
They have a ring that mounts inside the hull, under a seat, locker, or somewhere ideally along the front of the keel somewhere, and as close to center as possible, but wherever. That ring is then filled with a fluid (a few options) and the transducer locks into place. That saves any holes in the boat, can still be quite effective, and the hardest part is just where to put it, and how to run the wires.

From what it looks like, the Garmin would have to go through a Sonar Module for that. And they are $500 + on WM. I would definitely get a full quote from the salesman, who seems like he may have left out a few required bits that are going to rack your total up.

ALLLLL that aside, there are still plenty of them out there, like emcmia mentioned, that are smaller, 4.3 - 5 inch models, that come with transducer and chartplotting capability for where your original budget sits, or a little higher. Most of the time they're listed on the sites as fishfinders/chartplotters, so look at the fishfinder section, and see what you find. Even without using it for fishing, that is what's adding the depth capability and most will add charts too.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...741&id=2299272

For example, 5" screen, including transducer and free (after rebate) maps for it. Not too shabby. Lots of options to explore, don't let the guy talk you into more than you, a) want/need and b) need to spend.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, men