Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 13:56   #421

Re: Reasons to stay "Monohull"

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
& how would the 42' cat compare costwise to the 36-38' mono...?
The mono would certainly be cheaper but unless you are hauling bulk cargo who cares what the payload is? At that size, it's a data point that is irrelevant to the decision process. (As cats drop down near 30' it does come into play.)

The 42' cat similarly loaded is likely to be faster, more comfortable and more spacious.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 15:34   #422

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Most people choose their boat based on the available budget. Therefore the reasons to go with one or the other depends on $ for $ comparison.

Comparing a 42' cat with a 36'-38' mono makes no sense to a purchaser unless they are the same price.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 15:39   #423

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

cost wise its more likely to be a 42ft mono with a 35ft cat..

and still the mono will be cheaper to run..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Most people choose their boat based on the available budget. Therefore the reasons to go with one or the other depends on $ for $ comparison.

Comparing a 42' cat with a 36'-38' mono makes no sense to a purchaser unless they are the same price.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 20:56   #424

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

The goal in cruising is to minimise your amount of stuff, to simplify your life and "leave it all behind", but of course the reality is that you will take as much stuff as space allows. It must take an extremely disciplined captain and crew to resist filling all the extra space a decent sized cat offers.
I own a mono hull and know that I can only fit so much, but boy, if I had more storage space.....Oiy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 20:59   #425

Maybe that's why my present boat "gained" close to 4000 lbs from the time I bought it and the present day. 1000 is water and fuel, but still, it's a problem for both mono and multi hull sailors.

Old 03-07-2016, 22:03   #426

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I bought my Cat for the simple reason I can park on the beach when the the goes out and leaves me high and dry, but still level,
It also has a two foot draught, I can go where Mono's cant,
I also like to put my coffee cup down and it stays where I put it, Not over the side, hahhaha
Down wind in any storm, My cat sits level, I sit back and let the Auto steering do its thing, I just enjoy the ride, I dont do any thing but keep watch,

Every three days or so, you get the wind following you for a couple of days, So driving the boat into head winds is totally unnesessary, And it is hard on the boat and rigging,
My 34 foot Cat is equivelent to a 60 foot Mono, if you stick both hulls end to end,

How many sailors, Mono or Cat actually race their boats,
Just cruising, I get between 4 and 9 knots, depending on the wind, I can go faster, but I am not in a hurry to get any where,
I need 3 knots of wind to get me moving,
The faster you go, the more chance of some thing breaking, That costs big time,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 00:15   #427
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

The choice of mono or multi is individual. I have two monos. I prefer a multi. I havent yet got the multi because my location is not settled, and if the truth be told, I am not sure whether to get one for living on or for day/week sailing. The difference will be size and price.

One of the common comments is that there is more room on a multi size for size yet in reality, the square footage is what counts. For me, the advantages are stability, privacy, width space and motion. Some dont like the multi wave action, however I do..

Over loading. Whether it be a mono or multi, easy to do. I travel a lot and take only one cabin bag. 7 shirts, 7 underwear, 7 pairs of socks, 3 pants, 1 coat and assorted electronics etc. Less than 20lbs.

On the boat, the main 'heavies' are food, gas bottles, spare sails and tools. I keep everything as low to the centre line as I can. Everything I buy is on price and weight. My cupboards for linen only have two of everything and lightweight. I dont carry dive equipment or stuff I 'might' use.

Answer to overloading... stop it!
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 00:20   #428

Boat: no boat any more

I'll be watching you on a circumnavigation with 20lbs of "cabin luggage"!
taking advantage of the shallow draft & anchoring close in very often is a tribulation because of the mosquitoes...
as written before: done it three times, once on a cat, twice on a mono the conclusion is: $$$ enough for a cat 45' or larger: go for it! if otherwise the mono is very likely going to be the better choice (at least for serious bluewater voyaging)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 00:24   #429
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
I'll be watching you on a circumnavigation with 20lbs of "cabin luggage"!
taking advantage of the shallow draft & anchoring close in very often is a tribulation because of the mosquitoes...
as written before: done it three times, once on a cat, twice on a mono the conclusion is: $$$ enough for a cat 45' or larger: go for it! if otherwise the mono is very likely going to be the better choice (at least for serious bluewater voyaging)
lol it was an example for frugality.. on the boat I have wetsuits and jackets too.

I was on a friends Princess motor cruiser a week or so ago.. he was telling me his fuel consumption had increased even though he keeps the hulls clean....

I laughed and told him that in one year since I was on the vessel last, he had got married and the boat was now full of her stuff.... I mean full.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:30   #430

Quote:

Because of course, you can't move further out, can you?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:30   #431

Boat: no boat any more

...then you'll be where all the 7'-drawing monos are - & what is your shoal draft then for?
again: on the cat we (comparatively) often had advantages from our shallow draft, dried out for antifouling, went into shallow rivers in Oz, anchored in shallow lagoons in French polynesia, etc. etc. - BUT in retrospect the advantages of the monohull far outweighed those of the cat, e.g. far less soul-searching about the right amount of sail to carry in heavy air...
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:45   #432
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Reasons to stay "Monohull"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
The goal in cruising is to minimise your amount of stuff, to simplify your life and "leave it all behind", but of course the reality is that you will take as much stuff as space allows. It must take an extremely disciplined captain and crew to resist filling all the extra space a decent sized cat offers.
I own a mono hull and know that I can only fit so much, but boy, if I had more storage space.....Oiy.

Each person's goal in cruising is different. Leaving it all behind doesn't enter my mind. As a matter of fact just the opposite. My husband and I came upon the idea of cruising because it allowed us to take it all with us -- we were traveling via bicycles or canoes or backpacking and we were tired of the inconvenience of having nothing familiar with us. Lol. On our sailboat we have bikes a canoe and packs all with us all the time for little side trips if we want them.

Many people go with a multihull simply because they don't like heeling. I've heard enough multihull owners say this for me to believe it. The rest of us who don't have that particular issue can just stick with a monohull.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-07-2016, 06:00   #433
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
.......................................... Over loading. Whether it be a mono or multi, easy to do. I travel a lot and take only one cabin bag. 7 shirts, 7 underwear, 7 pairs of socks, 3 pants, 1 coat and assorted electronics etc. Less than 20lbs.

On the boat, the main 'heavies' are food, gas bottles, spare sails and tools. I keep everything as low to the centre line as I can. Everything I buy is on price and weight. My cupboards for linen only have two of everything and lightweight. I dont carry dive equipment or stuff I 'might' use.

Answer to overloading... stop it!
I'm aligned with Weavis regarding the addition of items by price and weight, but we seem to have quite a good amount of stuff.

....two sails below other than those that remain on the rig, two bicycles, tools & spare parts, an air compressor, some dive equipment, more clothes than those on Weavis' list, two kayaks, an RIB, food, fuel & water tanks, TV, computers, miscellaneous stuff and a few musical instruments,- and still we have four or five empty lockers on our 41' boat.

I could do very well on a catamaran, but I'm well suited to my current draft, speed and space. We're "staying monohull" because the only thing we'd gain with a multihull is higher costs.

We lived aboard an 8.5' beam 30' sloop first and then a 33' sloop with our two children. How could we not have extra space with just the two of us on a 41' monohull?
Old 04-07-2016, 07:43   #434

The nice thing about this whole discussion is that we all do have choices. No matter what your preference in style, size, mono or cat, there's a boat that will suit just about every need and price point. Actually the hard part is actually settling on one, buying the "perfect" boat, that often changes as you cycle through boats as your needs change over time. I would never even try to predict what choice I'd make once my boys are grown and have moved on. Hmmmm, mono or cat? Oiy, my head hurts from thinking too much.
Now, how'm I gonna pay for that next dream boat?

Old 04-07-2016, 08:32   #435
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Why, why do we all feel so insecure about our mono multi hull choice? It is pathetic to fibd CF hidden discussion monomor multi pop up again. Good to see mono hullers love their yacht same for multi hullers, even good to get more info about both options in adult discussion. But I can't buy the emotional behavior involved here. I have multihull now, called denigratingly "cottage on the water" and I really dig my Catalac. So even if you have a multihull it can still be subject of emotional atrack! I don't need to convince anyone it is better or wiser or more beautifull or does or doesnt sail well upwind. Anyone like to get ore info on my viewpoints mail me.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull