Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 03:37   #91

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Reasons to stay "Monohull"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Klaka View Post
Couldn't agree more! The art of problem-solving lies in asking the right questions.
Kim Klaka
Regarding you finding that, on a general basis, cats and monohulls have a similar cruising speed, contrary to what many would suppose, I have been looking at that at several ARC, where there are hundreads of boats doing a cruising transat and an increasing number of cats and reached the same conclusion you have.

Most cats are able to be sailed downwind at bigger speeds than monohulls but for safety they are sailed more conservatively than monohulls so in the end the results are not very different.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:16   #92

Cost of boat, maintenance and fees.
AquaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:46   #93

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Others have already correctly pointed out that it's a personal preference thing. However here are a few of my favourite things about monos.

Dock fees
Styling
Costs
Heeling
Burying the rail (which is different than heeling
View from the cockpit

Ease of single handing

Again, these are just a few of the things I like. I still enjoy cats but prefer the monos.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:23   #94
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Reasons to stay "Monohull"

I like both.. have owned both and deliver both..
I've 'technically' solo'd mono's up to 60ft and Cats up to 44ft..
I say 'technically' as my usual crew are either to light weight or inexperienced for me to risk sending them forward to reef or deal with any deck work that needs doing quickly in anything other than near perfect weather.. they invariably have poor balance, hence less confidence moving about, this I feel places them in as much risk as the task they are required to do.
However they do make excellent watchkeepers allowing me decent rest periods.
But.. on my own boats, mono or cat.. that is not relevant, as if solo my responsibilities have shrunk to 'personal'.. this broadens the 'acceptable risk factor' immensely..
So Yes.. one can Solo a 60-70ft mono these days with bow thrusters and as I've seen recently.. stern thrusters.. and a Cat can.. in normal conditions, be parked in a spot 4ft longer than its LOA using engines only.. so a proficient sailor will have set everything up before entering the marina, fenders hung, lines secured, coiled and ready to throw.. or led midships for the places one knows there'll likely be no shore assistance..
Docking is the hard bit.. out on the sea's the AP does all the work.. and one just sits about waiting to make adjustments..
The better one knows their boat the more it (the boat) will help one..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:29   #95

Boat: a sailing boat

1) berthing cost in the marina,
2) berthing space in the marina,
3) outright purchase price,
4) rigging and sails replacement cost,
5) masochism,
6) close mindedness,
7) beauty.

IMHO cats are the future of the rich cruising crowd.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:37   #96

Boat: H36

How does the caps ratio fit into capsizing. Mow can you compare a mono with a ratio of greater than 1 to a cat?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:39   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadam79 View Post
Greetings,

I'm asking this here vs a more "vs" question on the cat side of things

I am just starting to actually align my life with long distance sailing/living aboard. Whereas in the past few years I have just been dreaming. I plan to attend sailing schools this year into next. Possibly make the serious move to start the purchasing process later part of next year.

Though I have no sailing-by-wind experience, I have been to sea many times and for very long periods. Also I own a mechanical/heavy fabrication business which affords me knowledge in mechanical systems, and the ability to easily learn marine applications.

So my question: what keeps the monohull market so plentiful when you hear all the good "benefits" of catamaran sailing? It seems like everyone would want a cat vs a monohull based on the rants I read? With cost subtracted from the equation please (I do not yet know the extent of my budget), why do you stay monohull?

Thank you so much

Regards,

Adam J
Ignore the ranting on both sides. Cats and monos each have their own pluses and minuses, and in my opinion you have to be pretty stupid to be a passionate partisan of either one to the exclusion of the other.

It really boils down to taste and personal preference, so instead of listening to us, you would be better served by chartering some of both and figuring out what you like. This is very much a matter of taste especially what concerns heeling and boat motion.

What you often hear about the cost of catamarans is a fallacy. You can't compare a vessel with two hulls, length for length, to a vessel with one. They have different widths and so different hull volumes, for a given length. If you compare like for like, you'll find the cost -- and performance -- is similar between monos and cats.

Personally -- and that's what you asked -- I am attracted to certain aspects of catamarans, particularly the easily driven hulls and no ballast, which makes them superlative motor boats, but also makes it possible to make them very good performing under sail if you can keep them light. Other clear advantages include much better dinghy storage (a horrible problem for long term cruisers), and very nice view from the main salon which is entirely above decks. Another big advantage is lack of heeling, which is very tiresome on long upwind passages. Yet another advantage is redundant propulsion. Drawbacks for me personally include motion which I find much less pleasant, and to my eye they are ugly. Also, catamarans are very sensitive to loading and cannot carry as much without losing performance. Everything, you see, is a tradeoff.

I am not, personally, attracted to condo cats which tend not to sail all that well, particularly not the ones with enormous freeboard and slab sides like the side of a battleship, but I really like more performance oriented cats like the Chris White Atlantic 57. The dagger boards are a key feature, without which I would probably not consider any cat. A well set up cat with dagger boards and not overloaded can go upwind as well or better than a similarly set up mono -- contrary to popular opinion. I don't like smaller cats very much because the accommodation inside the smaller hulls (for a given length) gets to be very cramped. The accommodation in cats works much better, as they get larger, especially over 50 feet.

I've got no concrete plans to switch from monos anytime soon, but I do think about that Chris White Atlantic 57 from time to time, which ticks a whole lot of boxes for me.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:43   #98
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadam79 View Post
Stumble,

My eye is trained on the Lagoon 42 or 52, along with the Outremer 5x. My concern arises when having to handle the vessel alone as I may be a solo nomadic sailor... I am 36 and very fit (at least I tell myself that). A concern is to be on a cat of mentioned sizes alone; seems I may feel swallowed by all the space. I am experienced maneuvering twin screw small craft in tight spaces though FYI.
All good points only why would you need such a large cat, unless you want tomoperate charter of course! I have and live on 34 feet Catalac and it is as large as a 45 monohull inside! And a breeze to singlehand.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:48   #99

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Ignore the ranting on both sides. Cats and monos each have their own pluses and minuses, and in my opinion you have to be pretty stupid to be a passionate partisan of either one to the exclusion of the other.
Yes. Let's be happy that we have two (or more) popular but quite different approaches to choose from.

Quote:

... and very nice view from the main salon which is entirely above decks.
Also pilot house monohulls can do that. In monos you can have anything from no view to 360° panorama. (I guess the same applies to catamarans, although most of them do have a nice view.)
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:59   #100
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
How does the caps ratio fit into capsizing. Mow can you compare a mono with a ratio of greater than 1 to a cat?

That's nothing to do with Capsize..
That's to do with the ratio of caps you lose coz your going so fast..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 04-04-2016, 10:27   #101
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I always wonder why it is so to important to people what type of boat others want.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:36   #102

And why they care what other people think of their boat choice.

Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:57   #103
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Forget the rest.. get the best..!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tiki-38-02.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	122004  

Old 04-04-2016, 10:59   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
. . .Cats a European preference? Hardly - there aren't many around. Most of them are probably in the Med, which is a very small part of the Europe.
. . .
On the European Atlantic coasts, at least, catamarans are so rare as to be exotic. They are rarer than Open 60's for sure.

Less than 1% of the fleet, maybe less than 0.1%. You see a few older smaller ones, like Geminis and Catalacs, and occasionally a giant Lagoon (I berthed next to a Lagoon 64 last week in Poole), but almost none of the types of cats you see in the Carib, that is, 40 to 45 foot condo cats.

In the Baltic, must be nearly zero. I've never seen a single one in two summers in the Baltic, although I know we have a member here who sails a Lagoon (I think) in Finland.

I don't know about the Med, but also very few catamarans in the places I've been.

So absolutely not a European thing.

They are very common in the Caribbean, and you see quite a few in U.S. waters. I have the impression that they are extremely popular in Australia.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:12   #105

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I know the vast majority of people buying new boats prefer light weight/high performance. But a quite a few of people still prefer 'battle ship' type of vessels and it is much more feasible to have thick/heavy hull scantlings in a monohull.

Even the mono's with very light scantlings have the advantage of many thousands of pounds of lead, iron, or concrete in the keel acting as sort of a 'bumper'.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull