Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 11:23   #61

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Reasons to stay "Monohull"

"what keeps the monohull market so plentiful when you hear all the good "benefits" of catamaran sailing?"

There have been many, many more monohulls made. I imagine 20 years from now the used market for catamarans will have many more lower priced options.

For any given length, catamarans are of course more expensive to build as well. That also affects design. A catamaran under 30 feet with standing headroom in the salon would be incredibly out of proportion.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:36   #62
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadam79 View Post
Honestly, on looks alone, I've fallen for the Oyster 46/475 line
That's understandable.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:52   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
There exists only one reason to choose a boat: it's the one you like best.

Everything else is just rationalizing your choice to convince others.
Yes this it entirely true. What is perfect for one person can be entirely wrong for someone else. Doing your own research and going with your own preference is key. Unfortunately, many people along the way will try to "sell" you on their version of the perfect boat. Dealing with all those opinions can get a little tiresome.

Best of luck to the OP in finding the perfect boat -- whether it's a mono- or multi- hull.

Both my husband and I are true technophiles who love having new, new, new things. We also just so happen to like antiques and very old things as well. That makes us like pre-WWII boats as well as very modern multi-hulls too.

When we began looking for the perfect boat, we decided we'd end up in the poor-house following either of these natural tendencies of ours. Either constantly buying the latest and greatest or conserving and restoring a classic yacht. We decided that there was some redeeming societal value on restoring and conserving a historic vessel whereas if we were constantly getting the latest thing, it would just be one of those self-centered bits of life. Thus, we limited ourselves to pre-WWII boats built for cruising way back then (rather than converted race- or work- boats) and ended up with a 1931 schooner owned by one of the early commodores of the Cruising Club of America.

The point being, once you think about yourself and who YOU really are, what YOU really want, you'll hone in on the fact that we all come up with our own reasons for what we do--and then just do it.
Old 03-04-2016, 13:05   #64

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Buy a book into the History of yachting
Study the designs by the likes of Alden, Mylne, Rhodes, Illingworth, S&S, not to say Herreshoff and Burgess.

It is the result of a millennial evolution, which also includes canoes, purists, trimarans (for light fishing)

The debate goes beyond the form vs ballast stability issue.

Tastes are personal... but one thing I deeply distrust in any cat is the torsional stress on the connection between two hulls, mainly in short-rough seas. NO JOINT has infinite rigidity...

Also, i dontlike staying in one hull, you forget the other half of the boat....

Other things, are well known....
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 13:24   #65

Boat: Beneteau

For me owning a travel lift that can handle a max beam of 21 feet would be a factor and I think should be a factor for many. A friend called me about storage after buying his cat. He'd stored his mono with us for one winter prior to. Sadly his 26 foot beam was more than we could handle.

I'd also think that despite claims to the contrary cats are more expensive given two hulls with two engines because companies, ours included, generally don't ascribe to the something for nothing policy.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 13:45   #66

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Snooc,

If you don't mind; what constitutes a true blue water mono? Oyster, Discovery, etc?? It would help me from looking at brands that don't relate to my plans of sailing all latitudes. Thank you!
Cruising oriented monos tend to be strong and stable (not necessarily cheap, light and fast). And of course well equipped, easy to handle in rough weather etc.

Since you plan to sail all latitudes, I note that one reason people buy monos is that they are warmer in cool climate. Multihulls are more numerous close to the equator (warm trade winds) than when approaching the poles (cold and stormy).

In a cold climate pilot house boats could be of interest. I made that choice because of their all weather nature and because of the 360° views of my boat. If you get interested in solid all weather pilot house boats, check also the Nauticats.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 14:01   #67

[QUOTE=boatman61;2087822][quote]why do you stay monohull?
Quote:

I like them...

Plus I have one I love and can't afford anything else.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 14:06   #68

Quote:
Stumble,

My eye is trained on the Lagoon 42 or 52, along with the Outremer 5x. My concern arises when having to handle the vessel alone as I may be a solo nomadic sailor... I am 36 and very fit (at least I tell myself that). A concern is to be on a cat of mentioned sizes alone; seems I may feel swallowed by all the space. I am experienced maneuvering twin screw small craft in tight spaces though FYI.
There was a thread here within the past few months about singlehanding cats.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 14:21   #69

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Mrs. Schooner Chandlery wrote,
Quote:
The point being, once you think about yourself and who YOU really are, what YOU really want, you'll hone in on the fact that we all come up with our own reasons for what we do--and then just do it.
I would only add, that for some, if you just go ahead and do it, the reasons for the decision will become clear as you continue following your path! You don't have to understand it first -- though that may be more comfortable -- all you have to do is get enough information and listen to your feelings. It really is irrelevant to understand why, the feeling is enough in itself. Understanding why, though, gives you the ability to self-disclose the reasons, and that can help others.

Ann
Old 03-04-2016, 14:54   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
For me owning a travel lift that can handle a max beam of 21 feet would be a factor and I think should be a factor for many. A friend called me about storage after buying his cat. He'd stored his mono with us for one winter prior to. Sadly his 26 foot beam was more than we could handle.

I'd also think that despite claims to the contrary cats are more expensive given two hulls with two engines because companies, ours included, generally don't ascribe to the something for nothing policy.
A Lagoon 400 has a LOA of 39'3" and a bean of 23'9" for a total square footage of 932.18 sq foot.

A Beneteau 57 has a LOA of 57' and a beam of 16.33 for a total square footage of 930.81 sq foot.

So what are your prices for a 40' cat versus a 57' monohull?

Sure the cat is more than the monohull, and it should be. But that doesn't mean relative to their size they are that much more.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 17:00   #71

A fairly objective analysis of some of the differences between monos and multis at
http://www.fsc.com.au/cproot/2931/3/...20monohull.pdf
Kim Klaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 17:57   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Klaka View Post
A fairly objective analysis of some of the differences between monos and multis at
http://www.fsc.com.au/cproot/2931/3/...20monohull.pdf
A great article, Kim. One that shows your professional objective overview without the emotional elements. After all, how can you have a meaningful discussion starting with "I just don't like the look of them."

One point that you didn't directly address was the oft stated argument against catamarans that has already come up on this thread that goes ; "Catamarans aren't safe for blue water passages as in they aren't self righting, monohulls are." Your article touched on capsize, stability, sinking etc. but I'd be very interested to know how many monohull cruisers could actually survive a roll versus how many would fill up through a companionway or hole caused by rig failure, etc and plummet towards the bottom.

You are the expert Kim, but my assessment is that I would prefer to cling to my upturned cat than ride a lead keel all the way to Davy Jones' Locker.

BTW. Please make more contributions to that Cruising Mag; it really needs it's standard improved!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 18:05   #73

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

I live on the Australian east coast where the Pacific is not so pacific.
I love cats but own a mono.
Cats in big seas pound as the waves hit the bridgedeck underside.
They also get very slow when filled with all that clutter we gather while cruising. (Water, fuel, people).
They are wonderful for accessing those shallow inlets and gunk holes where one can sit out a cyclone. (assuming they are built to sit on the bottom).
They are very roomy and make great houseboats.
In Moreton bay, I see them every daily, motoring (even down wind!!!!). This appalls me.
I like to sail.
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 18:15   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'm pleased at how reasonable this thread remains when I think back of some former topics comparing monohulls to multihulls and how at other times some people become very emotional about their position and the significance of the debate.

I carefully read Kim Klaka's article above considering the "true and false" responses to some common traits used to compare monohulls and catamarans. I like the objective analysis of each question, but then for many of us these questions start to sound like, "Do you ride the bus to work or pack a lunch box?"

Let me apologize to Kim Klaka in advance as I'm about to make fun of these questions from the article and I'll repeat,- If you have a serious interest in these questions, then the article is very good.

True or False:

1. Catamarans capsize, monohulls don't.
2. Monohulls sink, catmarans don't.

Sailboats can be operated in a conservative and safe manner or with reckless danger. People can succeed with safety or suffer catastrophic loss with any sailboat.

3. Catamarans are more expensive than monohulls.

There is no limit to the amount of money that people can be subject to spending on their attempts at maintaining a boat! By luck or skill some people tend to get by with far less than others on board any choice of vessel.

4. Catamarans are faster than monohulls.

Jet planes and rockets are fast. Sailboats a slow. Everybody knows this!

5. Catamarans make you seasick.

Some people suffer from motion sickness riding in a car and some people don't have motion sickness in cars, boats or carnival rides.

Yes, the whole monohull vs catamaran question remains a little silly to me.
Old 03-04-2016, 18:24   #75

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I like both monohulls and multihulls. I would be happy with either. My wife does not like for a boat to heel over, and so we went with a catamaran.

The number of hulls don't matter to me as long as the boat is affordable and seaworthy.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull