Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2016, 04:06   #541

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Reasons to stay "Monohull"

...recently been to a supermarket in papeete or noumea???
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 07:38   #542

Boat: a sailing boat

That's roughly 500 in today's money. See the other thread. Doable depending on where you are and what boat you have.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 03:55   #543

Writen by Carla Schenk. (translatet by app)

Half a hundred arguments for the catamaran

The catamaran offers more security

1) A cat can not sink.

2) Even if the ship has to be left, there is enough time to take necessary utensils that can not be accommodated in the liferaft for reasons of space. monos can sink within a few minutes.

3) A cat sails upright, the ship movements are more comfortable. This reduces the risk of injury and the possibility to fall overboard.

4) At sea, working in the mast is safer.

5) Similarly, work on the foredeck is less risky and more comfortable.

6) The service in the pantry is less tiring and less dangerous on a cat. The Smut does not need to fight against slipping dishes and overflowing boiling soup.

7) Our cat has two engines, which brings double safety.

8) A cat has two oars, if necessary can also be controlled with one.

9) Due to the stable situation, the mental burden for the sailor is lower, on a cat there is less seasickness.

10) When stranded on level sand or mud, the cat will stay upright and will have little problems with rising water.

11) The enormous width of the mast makes it easier to lock.

12) Spi or Genakker are driven without a tree. The sails are easier and safer to set, rifle and retrieve.

13) A cat is faster, which shortens the journey time.

The catamaran is a space wonder

14) Our cat has four self-contained cabins, providing plenty of privacy, especially if relatives, friends or children are on board. (A cabin may be set up as an office or workshop.)

15) For larger Kats there are in the foredeck of the hulls additionally each a room with shelves for spare parts, tools and tools.

16) The large cockpit (2.70 m by 4 m in our case), which I refer to as an "outdoor salon", is an additional habitat, especially in the Mediterranean and in the tropics, where life mainly takes place outdoors.

17) Our cat offers enough headroom in the cabins, in the salon and under the bimini.

18) There is enough space on the Bimini, the deckhouse and the foreship for solar cells. A generator is not necessary)

19) The dinghy can be driven on deck.

20) There is enough space on deck for additional diesel and water in canisters.

21) To realize the size of salon at this ship length with no mono.

22) There is enough space to take paying guests on board.

23) A cat is child friendly. the large cockpit is a safe playground for children.

24) An appropriate foredeck invites you to sunbathe and nap.

25) On a Kat is plenty of storage space.

Comfort as in the luxury hotel

26) Due to the lower draft, it is possible to anchor closer to the shore so that you can row the few meters to land and save the outboard.

27) An anchorage in shallower water in bays is often better protected against wind and swells.

28) At anchorages avoided by Monos because of the swell, catfish are often still relatively calm.

29) Cleaning and lashing of objects is not necessary before departure.

30) Plastic dishes can be dispensed with. Also at sea is eaten by the porcelain.

31) No problem arises when storing dishes and bottles. On the way there is no rattling and no shards.

32) Bottles and dishes stay on the table even in harsher weather, you can eat at sea as well as in the noble restaurant.

33) In light winds, a cat drives against the engine as if on rails, a support sail can be dispensed with, no rolling, no pushing in, no sail beating.

34) The cat rolls relatively little on the downwind course. Even before the wind, there are hardly any sailing hits and impressions. due to the width, the headsail can be better fixed.

35) A cardan stove or table is superfluous on a cat.

36) A cat has no bunks but beds. Sleep at sea is more relaxing, leeches are not necessary, there is no risk of falling out of the berth.

37) If only one engine is used on the way, you can sleep soundly in the other bow without noise pollution.

38) Under the Bimini wet clothes or clothing can be hung to dry, the wetness remains outside the cabin.

39) The cockpit of the cat is relatively high and is not covered by other ships during the stay in Marinas, so it is airy and often offers a nice view.

40) When the heat is high, the space between the hulls is suitable for swimming in the shade.

41) Our cat turns on the plate by simply maneuvering with two machines. A bow thruster is superfluous.

42) For a converted room, a cat is much cheaper to buy than a mono.

43) At the rear there is enough space to mount brackets for stern anchor and outboard motor.

44) Drying is less complicated than mono and above all safer.

45) Kats have a comfortable entrance instead of a narrow decline.

46) The salon looks bright and friendly through large windows.

47) Drains go directly into the water, the risk of clogging is low.

48) TV, video and microwave do not need to be installed. They stay in place even in tougher weather.

49) Through the exit hatch can be fished directly from the salon.

50) If mud and dirt are caught while anchoring, the anchor cleans itself if you drag it between the hulls for a short time through the water. The mono would hit the anchor against the bow.
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 04:46   #544

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Yep. Great boat for people on crutches.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:06   #545
MLC

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 321 32'
Send a message via AIM to MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Cats go belly up if not sailed carefully. For my single handed sailing, wouldn't be up on deck all the time to free the sheets or turn downwind if hit by a gust and/or a rogue wave. Cats are damned expensive to buy and keep in a slip, if you can find one. I don't need or want all that space. Something between 35'-40' gives me all the space I need. With a smaller mono, I can handle sail changes in crappy weather if necessary and do most of the other things involved in sailing and docking the boat.

If my wife was aboard, a few more feet might be nice but not even sure about that. My wife, Labrador and alley cat lived very comfortably aboard our Westsail 32 for more than 3 years. Only the advent of kids moved us off the boat. Any additional space/length would go to better speed and/or storage. Would be nice to be able to stow the bikes in their own locker rather than the forepeak. A knot of extra speed would shorten passages but we seemed to keep up with boats that were larger and supposedly way faster. The multihulls, despite their claim for speed, didn't seem to make significantly faster passages possibly because they were loaded down with cruising detritus.

The idea of buying the largest boat you can afford may work if a Marina is your be all and end all. There comes a displacement and size where you'll no longer be able to handle the sailing of a boat much more than 40'-45'. Everything is fine when the roller reefing functions as advertised, the electric winch/windlass doesn't crap out and the winds stay force 4 and below. It's a whole different world out there when things get messy and you have to muscle that sail down, haul it's heavy replacement on deck, fit and hoist it while the bow is making 15' or more vertical cycles with cold ocean water constantly trying to wash you over the side.
Roverhi, I agree 100% with you. I primarily sail on the Great Lakes but I have also sailed a little on the Atlantic along the East Coast, the Caribbean, the Gulf of Mexico. To me cats are great in the Caribbean where you mostly can use mooring balls or anchor. But finding dockage for cats can be much more difficult and expensive than for monohulls. Cats over 30' are not as nimble as monohulls in my experience. I find tacking and gybing easier in a monohull.
Old 06-11-2018, 23:31   #546

Boat: Hanse 531

We were briefly considering a catamaran (because of superior living space) but decided otherwise because:

- Higher price (a 2017 Lagoon 39 is listed for 340,000 eur, a 2017 Hanse 415 for 178,500 on scanboat.com)
- I've tried twice but actually sailing a catamaran has never felt remotely as satisfying as a monohull.
- Marinas over here aren't really designed for catamarans since there are so few of them over here. (Them being rare might affect resale value also, but don't know in which direction.)

Here are the polar charts for both:

Lagoon 39: https://www.4venti.com/public/lagoon39/polaire_39.pdf
Hanse 415: https://westyachting.be/nl/documents...guide_h415.pdf
Old 06-11-2018, 23:41   #547

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC View Post
....I find tacking and gybing easier in a monohull.
Tacking depends on how the boat is set up. Plenty of cats have self tacking jibs, tacking is as simple as turning the wheel.

Gybing is easier and far safer in most cats. You have a very wide traveller, so not much loose mainsheet, so the boom always stays under control. No deck sweeping, rig demolishing accidental crash gybes.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull