Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 09:04   #436
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Reasons to stay "Monohull"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
Why, why do we all feel so insecure about our mono multi hull choice? It is pathetic to fibd CF hidden discussion monomor multi pop up again. Good to see mono hullers love their yacht same for multi hullers, even good to get more info about both options in adult discussion. But I can't buy the emotional behavior involved here. I have multihull now, called denigratingly "cottage on the water" and I really dig my Catalac. So even if you have a multihull it can still be subject of emotional atrack! I don't need to convince anyone it is better or wiser or more beautifull or does or doesnt sail well upwind. Anyone like to get ore info on my viewpoints mail me.
When reading through the thread I find most everyone is very secure in their choice. I don't know what the " fibd CF hidden monomor multi pop up" could be.
Old 05-07-2016, 13:21   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Most people choose their boat based on the available budget. Therefore the reasons to go with one or the other depends on $ for $ comparison.

Comparing a 42' cat with a 36'-38' mono makes no sense to a purchaser unless they are the same price.
I agree, I was just pointing out the fallacy of using payload someone else suggested when talking about a 42' cat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 14:56   #438

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

We are in love with our 57' (62' LOA), 30 ton, mono. The ride is super mellow and comfy. She takes quite a bit of extra wind in stride, so we can be extra lazy at sea and do nothing in squalls without worrying. She carries 600 gallons of diesel and can motor 2-3k miles at >7 knots, depending on if we are going up or down wind. We had the same Galapagos-Marquessas time (20 days) as the 44' cat who shared their numbers here, a boat that probably cost about as much as ours, but I'm guessing we worked a whole lot less. It's hard to imagine working less than we do.

A >50' Chris White catamaran is in the marina with us. It's a beautiful boat that also makes my heart go pitter patter. But, when I looked up sisterships on Yachtworld, for the ~$1.5m she cost
, I think an ~80' monohull would make my heart beat even faster.

This is our choice, and I respect other people's choices. I can easily see choosing another kind of boat and don't judge. Everyone does this to have fun, and the boat is just a tool to enable experiences.
Old 05-07-2016, 16:19   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Jadam79,
Jim and I are living proof you can sail a monohull into your latter 70's.

Ann
That sentence made me very happy.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 18:39   #440

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
-----
Over loading. Whether it be a mono or multi, easy to do. I travel a lot and take only one cabin bag. 7 shirts, 7 underwear, 7 pairs of socks, 3 pants, 1 coat -----
weavis! What in the world do you do with 7 pairs of socks? Move to Florida before it's too late.

Actually, I do know what to do with 7 pairs of socks.
You use them to cushion the wine bottles from banging against each other.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:30   #441

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...then you'll be where all the 7'-drawing monos are - & what is your shoal draft then for?
again: on the cat we (comparatively) often had advantages from our shallow draft, dried out for antifouling, went into shallow rivers in Oz, anchored in shallow lagoons in French polynesia, etc. etc. - BUT in retrospect the advantages of the monohull far outweighed those of the cat, e.g. far less soul-searching about the right amount of sail to carry in heavy air...
So because you have shoal draught, you MUST use it all the time? What strange "logic". I suppose now you have a mono you MUST always sail upwind?

Anyway, one reason to stay mono _ you never HAVE TO anchor in terrible mosquito infested dumps like this:

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 02:30   #442

Boat: Roberts 45

44'crusingcat you've an evil sense of humour :-) . I think it's a matter of the duty you want for the boat. But no matter what you buy there're advantages and disadvantages depending on where you're going and what you've up to. I think this cat vs mono argument is inane. We are all sailors and we need to be sharing both the frailties and strengths of each choice. Alas I don't read enough of the failures and learnings and I will bet my dogs dinner that there are just as many 'oh sh*t' moments with both monos and cats. The theme here is to be expert in all possible conditions with what you have. That's seamanship.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Velella99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 08:06   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velella99 View Post
44'crusingcat you've an evil sense of humour :-) . I think it's a matter of the duty you want for the boat. But no matter what you buy there're advantages and disadvantages depending on where you're going and what you've up to. I think this cat vs mono argument is inane. We are all sailors and we need to be sharing both the frailties and strengths of each choice. Alas I don't read enough of the failures and learnings and I will bet my dogs dinner that there are just as many 'oh sh*t' moments with both monos and cats. The theme here is to be expert in all possible conditions with what you have. That's seamanship.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Your asking too much. By and large sailors, like most people are tribel. It even shows up on the water. We were with a large group of sailors for a few months and while everyone got along the cat guys liked hanging around with other cat guys and similar for mono guys. You see this in all walks of life.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 08:40   #444

One needs to consider the circumstances that lead to someone getting a "new" boat. What drives this decision?

Is the one you have too.....small, slow, old and expensive to maintain... wet to sail, draft too deep, under powered needs lots of new stuff? Is the family crew growing or shrinking?

In my case changing boats means a lot of new projects... projects that I've already done to make my present boat fit to my sailing, cruising and lifestyle needs. I am pretty sure I'd have to make a lot of mods to any new boat. At this point I'd rather sail, relax and work on what I have... which like all boats needs constant care, maintenance and even upgrades. A bit more space would feel luxurious perhaps... we'd grow to fit it... but we are far from uncomfortable with the mono we have and the way we use the boat. No need to change to a cat and no need to go bigger or smaller. Present boat is works!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 11:03   #445

Isn't that so true, it usually takes close to 2 years to get your boat properly outfitted...who wants to start that process over?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 14:15   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Isn't that so true, it usually takes close to 2 years to get your boat properly outfitted...who wants to start that process over?
Someone with a lot of time, money, technical skill and energy.
Old 20-07-2016, 15:52   #447

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Rob,

It is not so true.

We got ready in about a month. I know people who were getting ready for 10 years, only to abandon some 10 days from departure.

Possibly, there is no specific time, nor any telling average on how much it takes to get ready and how much time in the preps is too little or to much.

For getting ready only marginally depends on getting ready, largely on being ready.

The way I see it, you need to take on water and maybe some diesel. Some food too. Even if you chuck in a new coat of antifouling and a small sail repair, this will be weeks, maximum months. The rest of the two years may be time wasted, procrastinating.

;-)
Love,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 16:06   #448

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Rob,

It is not so true.

We got ready in about a month. I know people who were getting ready for 10 years, only to abandon some 10 days from departure.

Possibly, there is no specific time, nor any telling average on how much it takes to get ready and how much time in the preps is too little or to much.

For getting ready only marginally depends on getting ready, largely on being ready.

The way I see it, you need to take on water and maybe some diesel. Some food too. Even if you chuck in a new coat of antifouling and a small sail repair, this will be weeks, maximum months. The rest of the two years may be time wasted, procrastinating.

;-)
Love,
b.
Depends what you need to do such as:

install a below decks AP
Install a radar
Install a windlass
Install refrigeration
assemble complete spares and tools
install a staysail track
install an inner forestay
possibly replace standing rigging
possibly replace nav lights
install AIS
install a HF radio
get storm sails, drogue
install heating
install a water maker

and so on
Old 20-07-2016, 16:28   #449
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post

install a below decks AP
Install a radar
Install a windlass
Install refrigeration
install a staysail track
install AIS
install a HF radio
get storm sails, drogue
install heating
install a water maker

and so on

At least 50% of the items you mentioned are not needed for a capable boat but more things that are on the want list.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 18:06   #450

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post

install a below decks AP
Install a radar
Install a windlass
Install refrigeration
install a staysail track
install AIS
install a HF radio
get storm sails, drogue
install heating
install a water maker

and so on
Yes.

You are talking about building floating condos. I am talking about getting a boat ready for a sail.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull