Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-11-2014, 09:11   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Really need advice, with this Dory meet our needs?

Here's a couple of boats you might want to check out.

southern cros sailboat

Cape Dory 28 Sailboat Family & Cruising

Scout 30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 12:05   #17

Boat: Still Searching for Her

I looked at your linked boat after reading your original post.

At first, I thought the price sounded high for that year, that size, that brand.

Then I looked at the other CDs on sale at similar size and age.

The one you linked looks much better in appearance, condition, and as it comes with recent updates to systems and interior and has some pluses such as air and heat

CruiseAir Reverse Cycle Aircon
Autohelm ST 3000 Autopilot
Raymarine A65 Chartplotter
St Croix Davits
New mainsail cover
Recently re-upholstered (Ralph Lauren Fabric) settee cushions and V-berth mattresses
Newport cabin heater
Cockpit cushions
New starter motor 2013
New batteries 2013

I would choose this one over the others currently available.

Of course you should negotiate what you feel is a fair price. But this boat would appear to have some value in gear that is already installed, saving you time and money and hassle. That boat looks comfortable and one that would make an owner proud.

For your intended purpose of a couples boat to cruise Florida and Caribbean, it looks like a nice choice too. Shallow draft compared to some other boat, good brand history, and good condition are desirable.

And I like the settee upholstery too.

Ahoy All Sailors! I love traditional sailboats of all kinds (e.g. gaff rigged, schooners, cutters, smacks, woodies, etc.). See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details.
Steady Hand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 12:52   #18

Boat: Robinhood -- 36

As much has already been said, and as you well know, everyone who sits behind a keyboard is an expert (ex = has been & spert = drip under pressure)! With that as a premise, I would like to just give you some personal observations. Having owned a Columbia, Hunter, O'day, Pearson, Tartan, and my present Robinhood (Cape Dory)36, and having 30 years sailing the Great Lakes both cruising and racing and 20 years sailing and racing on the Atlantic seaboard, including many years in florida, I naturally have some opinions. Knowing opinions are like certain body parts, we all get one, here goes!

The Cape Dory hull will give you a softer and smoother ride than the others above. The quality of construction is superior to all with the possible exception of the Tartan. The character of the boat will make it a standout in most harbors, as long as the teak is maintained. When the "shtf" you will be very glad you are in the Cape Dory with its quality of ride, construction, and variation in sail plans available, (cutter rig).

Don't be concerned about your lack of ocean sailing experience, you will very quickly find out that the ocean is much easier to sail on than any of the Great Lakes, especially Lake Erie. Also, because the season up north is so short, you have likely sailed in weather that the typical ocean sailor would have stayed in port for.

The boat you are looking at looks to be in pretty good shape, and upgraded fairly well, as much as you can see from photographs. Take a look, do your research on value and price, make a decision, and get sailing. Whatever you pay, when you amortize it over 10 years and then include the resale value and demand, the cost becomes much less significant. Life is only so long, and time wasted ashore does not increase your life span.

Good Luck!
Miker1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 12:53   #19

Boat: Tom Colvin, Custom 63'

I have a perfect cruiser For $50,000. 52' steel schooner. Tom Colvin Pipistrel ready to take you around the world if you wish.
William King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 19:48   #20

Boat: 1979 Hunter 30 Cherubini

Geez Nova, If you think that CD is a dog, I'd like to see your boat~

I coming to LA at Christmas...
Sea7King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 23:09   #21

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

You inviting yourself for an inspection?

For the reasons I gave, I consider this boat a fixer-upper, due to the impression of neglect left by the photos.
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 19:46   #22

Boat: 1979 Hunter 30 Cherubini
Re: Really Need Advice, Will This Dory Meet Our Needs?

My wife and daughter are antiquing so I have some down time. What marina?

Sea7King is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: