Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2013, 06:44   #1

Raw water pump

Hi everyone I have a 38 year old Arona 185 Diesel engine in my sail boat it has an original impeller pump belt driven with a brass impeller, it has a grease nipple and the shaft is spun through a fibrous packing I have been told that the pump is meant to leak as the water flow cools the spindle and other moving parts. I have a couple of questions 1. what grease should I use? (I was going to try lanolin grease ) 2. are these brass impellers meant to last the life of the motor?as I have been told you cant get any spare parts for the pump) 3. Should I be able to get a modern pump to do the same job as the old pump? ( I have been told no ) 4. Should I grease the impeller before I install it back on the motor and run it for the first time? ( I have pulled it apart and cleaned it ) 5. What is a good emergency procedure to get water to the engine in case of pump failure. 6. Would I be right in thinking that to much water flow to the engine would be worse than to little? Thanks for any help Vistech1
vistech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 07:08   #2

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch
Re: Raw water pump

3. yes, you should. You can try to retrofit any of jabsco pumps jBronze Engine Cooling Pumps / Pumps / Marine / Xylem JabscoShop - Jabsco & Rule Pumps and more - from the experts , or similar
or you can install electric pump, mounted on a bulkhead.
5. Use any pump available = bilge, water system pressure pump, spare fuel pump (it probably will not deliver enough flow).
6. Somewhat. Water flow is restricted by diameter of hoses, fittings and thermostat, and ability of exhaust gases to carry water out. Theoretically, I think, you can create too much pressure to blow a hose or gasket or create strong backpressure in the exhaust system. But it is unlikely. you can make a bypass circuit if you concern about pump being too powerful

Besides, engine manufacturers use pumps made by someone else and there is a chance that your pump is still manufactured.

edit. Did you see this site?
http://people.plan.aau.dk/~poul/Arona/additional.htm
CrazyRu is offline   Reply With Quote