Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2014, 04:39   #31

Boat: Swan 432
Re: Rate That Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
ok no knowledge of any but own all, they all sank, i think the keels fell off because i cant see them, at 1 time or another but re-floated them and still pay for them in a marina but don't use them so i have knowledge of them but not practical knowledge using them , like the head room but haven't actually stepped on them, they are all live aboard because i am sure things are living on them ie all the spiders webs that are on them.. i think they may not be made well but dont know how they are built so will go with what my neighbor said because he owned none but is smart, they must be Water boats">blue water boats because they sit in blue water, but also brown at time so also brown water boats. label them the way you have them there or the other way works also. Oh yea and don't buy a swan there crap..
Huh?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 05:03   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

1. Sabre (my wildest guess)

2. Hunter
2. Benateau
2. Jeanneau

Some better some worse, some keels fall off, some rudders break off, etc.

3. Delphia

(A Poland built incarnation of the Bene / Jeanneau / Hunter crowd).

and North to Alaska?

None of the above. I would buy a strong boat for this.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 12:11   #33
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Cheechako got the order right and EX-Calif summed up this thread. I too thought the production boat owners would be at each others throats by now.

What a disappointment and missed opportunity to have some fun.....

BZT
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 13:05   #34

If I were you I would canvas the hell out of the local sailors in your area and find out what kind of production boat they like and then as long as I liked it I'd probably buy that type as I would be thinking about selling it one day and if a boat has a following in the area it sure helps.
I remember when I was in Australia some years ago I was talking with some local sailors and all I heard was what a great boat the Beneteau was, they talked about it like we talk about Swans or Baltics. Sure enough a friend brought one in and sold it in Aussi and did really well. Never knew what to think after that because we saw it as a entry level production boat.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 13:21   #35

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post
Cheechako got the order right and EX-Calif summed up this thread. I too thought the production boat owners would be at each others throats by now.

What a disappointment and missed opportunity to have some fun.....

BZT
See and I thought all the old people with old boats would be..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 14:05   #36
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
See and I thought all the old people with old boats would be..

Who are you calling old? 60's are the new 40's. As for my boat, I'll have to ask her. But just between you and me..... she can handle more than I can.

BZT
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 14:10   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post
Who are you calling old? 60's are the new 40's. As for my boat, I'll have to ask her. But just between you and me..... she can handle more than I can.

BZT

Old 15-08-2014, 14:39   #38

Sabre? Really?

A friend's friend bought a Sabre 42 a few years ago.

His keel fell off!!!

The Sabre guys disclaimed ALL responsibility, since the manual said "tighten your keel bolts after 50 hours of use."

Absolute HS.

Sabre had built a good rep based on many "perceived" advantages, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how a sailboat is "better" because the interior woodwork is a tad nicer. More utter HS.

This is from our Catalina 34 website:

Buying a C 34? "See what other owners have to say!"
We bought Air Goddess in 1994 and it was our first boat. We were comparing the C34 to a Tartan 34 and a Sabre 34 - all were the same vintage and in equally good condition. The C34 was $50K, the Tartan was $65K and the Sabre was $80K.
Even to my untutored eye the Tartan and the Sabre were superior boats from the point of view of fit and finish - the question became was superior fit and finish worth all that extra money. Our brokers advice was that the C34 would be a "lot of boat for the money" and would hold its resale value at least as well as the other two.
We took his advice and find that, 6 years later, we could probably sell Air Goddess for more than we paid for it and do so very quickly if needed. I don't know how the Tartan and the Sabre have fared in the used boat market but I could not be happier with what has transpired with the Catalina. Plus we have enjoyed the ownership experience - what more could we ask???

Sabres simply aren't worth that much more and are not necessarily better boats. A Catalina 42 is, in my mind, a better boat for that trip than a C34, for example, so the SIZE does matter.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 15:55   #39

And you all seemed confused by my post see all keel fall off..

Old 15-08-2014, 16:37   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rate That Boat

Jeneaus willout sail a Beneteau any day but a Bene has the better accomodation.. Hunters are Ok... depends on the type of sailing you plan to do.. Sabres..? a bit dated but a good boat..
Go with what gives you a hard on....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 17:14   #41

Hey, I'm really glad this question was asked. I wrote up a little piece of software to help compare these boats, so that we can finally know which is the proper order. Into the algorithm I factored build quality and materials, proven race and seaworthiness, cost, country of origin, color, owner temperament, boat aura, and a host of other minutia that I won't bore you with. The program runs each manufacture through a gauntlet of tests, and then outputs an indexed score between 0 and 100. Here were the results:

Catalina= "NaN"
Hunter= "purple"
Benateau= "Huey Lewis"
Delphia= "e^i(pi/2)"
Jeanneau= "rosemary"- (*note- I'm uncertain if this is the name or the herb)
Sabre= "deuterium"

HTH!
hyperfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 17:47   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperfine View Post
Hey, I'm really glad this question was asked. I wrote up a little piece of software to help compare these boats, so that we can finally know which is the proper order. Into the algorithm I factored build quality and materials, proven race and seaworthiness, cost, country of origin, color, owner temperament, boat aura, and a host of other minutia that I won't bore you with. The program runs each manufacture through a gauntlet of tests, and then outputs an indexed score between 0 and 100. Here were the results:

Catalina= "NaN"
Hunter= "purple"
Benateau= "Huey Lewis"
Delphia= "e^i(pi/2)"
Sabre= "deuterium"

HTH!
Fascinating, and quite informative as well! I note that the Sabre's rating of Deuterium is consistent with all the folks who believe that it will endure heavy weather (heavy water?). Thank you for the first objective inter-boat rating system ever devised. Will you be writing an Andriod app for your system? It would sell well at boat shows...

Cheers, and welcome to CF.

Jim
Old 16-08-2014, 09:17   #43

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperfine View Post

Catalina= "NaN"
Hunter= "purple"
Benateau= "Huey Lewis"
Delphia= "e^i(pi/2)"
Sabre= "deuterium"

HTH!
You have a bug in your algorithm. NaN is Not A Number. So all the other results are also questionable.
Old 16-08-2014, 10:40   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You have a bug in your algorithm. NaN is Not A Number. So all the other results are also questionable.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaN

In computing,*NaN, standing for*not a number, is a numeric data type value representing an undefined or*...

I thought that's why I was on top

Old 16-08-2014, 19:28   #45

Ok All,

First impressions are lasting ones. I would remind some of you that checking forums is a great way to, "do your homework." Many of your answers give me the initial impression of, "holier than thou attitudes." Seriously, this should be a place that relative newbies can come in comfort.

All this being said, I agree that I may not have provided enough information....soooo:

As some might have seen in my recent welcome post, I am a retired Navy guy. As a young man, I enjoyed weekend racing with. the Everett Yacht Club in Everett, WA. I primarily raced on A friend's Thunderbird and Tanzers owned by my father's sailing club, but I did get some limited opportunities on larger boats.

Well, after 26 years in the Navy and 10 more of civil service, I am finally in position to fulfill my dream and purchase my own boat. My intent is to sail weekends and short trips to the San Juan's for now but I dream of doing the Alaska thing when I retire in about 6 years.

All this being sail, I have determined through some looking around and one failed survey that a 30-38 foot boat is what I am looking for....but closer to 30 would be my preference....hence my initial interest in A Nonsuch 30...lots of room but not too much length.

Final specification...and an important one...my wife is a die hard power boater with limited sailing experience. Comfort below decks is important to her. A pilothouse like a Nauticat would be nice. Trying to stay well below $100k but will go higher for the right boat.

Hope that's enough info. Questions welcome and encouraged. However, if your intent is simply to point out how stupid my question is, please feel free to move on. Thanks to you all for your comments!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Panamax. is offline   Reply With Quote