Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2003, 14:47   #1

Ranger 26

Hello everybody,..I am new here and I have a question to post. I have recently purchased a ranger 26 (the ones built in Kent Washington not the Gary mull design). The boat seems to be very well built and looks very salty. I am interested in knowing to what extent this boat is suitable for offshore sailing and if somebody is familiar with the design.
Thank you very much for your response and help.
Ovidio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2003, 06:59   #2

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Ovidio,

Welcome aboard!

I'm not familiar with your boat, but I'll take a stab at answering your question since I have a 26 foot boat that I've taken offshore single-handed,several times. I tried to run some numbers on your boat, but I wasn't sure if the info.I had was for the Gary Mull design, or not. Regardless, it looks like your boat is a little heavier than mine, and has a deeper draft. My boat weighs in at 4300lbs.,with a shoal draft keel of 3'2".IMO, taking a 26 ft.boat offshore is a question of the skippers experience, boat systems,and back up systems.I've got some good experience under my belt, and my boat is equipped as well as any larger offshore capable boat. I carry all USCG recommended safety equipment, the boat has an autopilot,GPS chartplotter,and hand-held back up GPS unit.I plot my boats position on a hard chart every hour. I've modified the boat to carry 43 gallons of fresh water, and can use the outboard off my dinghy for a back-up power supply should my inboard diesel give problems. When crossing the Gulfstream, I rented an Epirb. I constantly watch the weather.Even with all these precautions, I've been hammered severly twice by unforcasted low pressure systems. The boat has taken 62 mph wind in a storm, and faired o.k., but I know if I get caught in anything more, the results may not be pretty. It's an acceptable risk to me though. In summary to your question, I would say your boat could safely be taken offshore, if both you,and the boat are properly prepared, watch weather patterns religiously, and not push yourself to meet any kind of set schedule.
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ranger