Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-08-2016, 21:15   #1

Boat: Puma 341
Raising coachroof tutorial

Hi there

I´ve been long considering a Puma 341 sailboat (Holman & Pie, classic IOR) with deck mounted mast. The boat sails incredibly well.
The drawback is headroom is a bit limited and with just 5 cm (2") more it would make a world of a difference. Floor is already quite low.
Does someone know where can I find something similar to a tutorial?
Just like another sailboat where they did it as long as it´s polyester too.
There has to be someone who did a blog with it or something. Even if in other language.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-08-2016, 05:03   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Raising coachroof tutorial

My advice: buy another boat with the desired head room. Increasing headroom with deck surgery will be far more trouble then it's worth. I suspect that is the reason for the dearth of information. It might be possible to increase headroom by removing ceiling panels or adding hatches at particular points, though.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 08-08-2016, 14:10   #3

Well one of the reasons I want such a boat is hull thickness, this is 1" at least, any other 34ft model with enough headroom that I can buy has a lot less.

Another reason is most boats in the 34ft range with enough headroom have a flatter underwater body, they don´t sail upwind with waves as well as they pound much more.

Because they are lighter, beamier and flatter in the underbody the roll acceleration, very related to seasickness, is much worse. The P341 does 0´10 G´s compared to 0.15-0.20 G´s of boats with more headroom.

[IMG][/IMG]

A classic 40 ft is out of consideration because of marina and maintenance costs.

Why is just raising only 2" so difficult if well done? We´re in 2016!
Old 08-08-2016, 14:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-eyes View Post
Well one of the reasons I want such a boat is hull thickness, this is 1" at least, any other 34ft model with enough headroom that I can buy has a lot less.

Another reason is most boats in the 34ft range with enough headroom have a flatter underwater body, they don´t sail upwind with waves as well as they pound much more.

Because they are lighter, beamier and flatter in the underbody the roll acceleration, very related to seasickness, is much worse. The P341 does 0´10 G´s compared to 0.15-0.20 G´s of boats with more headroom.

[IMG][/IMG]

A classic 40 ft is out of consideration because of marina and maintenance costs.

You've done projects like this before, no doubt?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-08-2016, 14:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Chopping and channeling a roadster is also straight forward in theory, but requires a true craftsmen to pull off in practice.

Anything is possible with a boat if you have the money. To complete this project, do you really want to spend $40k (or Euros, as the case may be) when the boat only costs $40k? If you do, go have at it with an experienced boat yard! Or buy a different boat for the $40k.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 14:33   #6

Nope I haven´t.
I know a local profesional who works very well with polyester for canoeing, surfing etc and dinghys.
I don´t know if he´s gonna be prepared for a project like this. But I think in 2016 something has to be known about the polyester resistance (maybe epoxy too?).

Is the polyester used for the coachroof the same than the hull?
If the polyester thickness in the coachroof is increased a bit compared to now why should the coachroof resistance gonna be such a problem? Its just 2"....
Old 08-08-2016, 14:51   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Resistance?

It's not just raising the coach roof. It's bulkheads and other structure too. A metric crap ton of work. None of it is rocket science, but needs to be very carefully executed.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-08-2016, 14:56   #8

Quote:
Nope I haven´t.
I know a local profesional who works very well with polyester for canoeing, surfing etc and dinghys.
I don´t know if he´s gonna be prepared for a project like this. But I think in 2016 something has to be known about the polyester resistance (maybe epoxy too?).

Is the polyester used for the deck the same than the hull?
If the polyester thickness in the deck is increased a bit compared to now why should the deck resistance gonna be such a problem? Its just 2"....

Epoxy or vinyl ester is arguably better for this type of job. You will change the aerodynamics and raise the COG. Design will minimize the former, and construction method the latter. If you're planning on raising the deck I'd suggest it's a total waste of time, effort and money. Maybe viable if you raise the deckhead, but even then...

Tags
ais

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: