Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-09-2008, 12:04   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I suppose they have more windage if beating to weather. Not sure of your location, but they are popular in colder climes. On the other hand every catamaran probably has a lot of windage and inside nav/visibility also. In my Rawson 30 going down the west coast to Cabo, I would have loved to have an inside station! Might depend on if you are more of a hard core sailor or cruiser. Personally if I cant beat to wx over 4 knots near the rhumb line I motorsail anyway! (charge batteries, make water, freeze food, arrive earlier!)

Old 17-09-2008, 12:06   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
You're going to spend more time sleeping on the boat than standing inside. It seems to me the important question is about how long a berth is, and how much cramping you can stand.

Old 17-09-2008, 12:25   #18

Boat: 1978 CSY 44 WO
Rawson 30

We have a 1969 model Rawson 30 sloop--not a pilothouse. Love it! For a great account of Rawson 30's capabilities check out Jamie Bryson's book, First Time Around detailing his circumnavigation.

I don't know the condition of the Rawson pilothouse for $17k but that is CHEAP for a pilothouse Rawson.

We had an offer on a Kadey Krogen 38 but did not get it--$78k and a boat loan. It was too much boat for me.

I feel like a rich man with a Rawson 30 and NO loan!
Old 17-09-2008, 14:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
You're going to spend more time sleeping on the boat than standing inside. It seems to me the important question is about how long a berth is, and how much cramping you can stand.
short sleeping quarters are not a big deal as i can pretty much sleep in any place so that is not high on my priority list. thankfully i have 1 thing i dont require!
Old 17-09-2008, 14:41   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

6' 4"? No idea.......I was thinking my 30' Seadog has "good" headroom in the saloon - I am 5'11 and plenty of room. I should know the specs, but I don't .........but got me thinking .......... someone could probably steal a couple of inches by reworking the headlining and / or the cabin sole (at least in the centre of the saloon - after all you sit down elsewhere!)....and if that approach could work on a Seadog, maybe could work on another boat? so you are not only looking for good headroom but a boat which you could modify to steal a few more inches?.....might increase your options?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 14:50   #21

dougpad: thanks for the book tip, i just reserved if from the local library, always looking for book suggestions

re: 1977 Rawson Pilothouse Boat For Sale for 18K- it does look like a great deal. i have read the add a few times, and here are the things that might have brought the price down: one of the two 40 gallon water tanks leaks, dont know if that is a big deal but may affect ballast?? it says repair would be difficult given location of it. it also says they added some lead to the keel after replacing the old motor with a new one because the new one was lighter. that and the sails are old, but serviceable. none of these would be deal killers for me especially for the price. new sails would be about 10K i would bet on a boat this size, dont really care about two 40 gallon tanks unless its a balast issue. the real deal killer is that the boat is in new york and i live in portland, OR. hmm...

what kind of headroom does the rawson 30 have without a pilothouse?
Old 17-09-2008, 14:55   #22

Awesome headroom 6'4" throughout. I read the comments on sleeping, too. But as for me, one of the best selling points to the Rawson is the very room v-berth.

Oregon is a great place to look for Rawsons as they are a west coast boat. I don't have a clue how mine made it to NC. The yahoo group is a great source of info. And there may be some for sale there, too.

Check out this review: Through the Cracks - SailNet Community
Old 17-09-2008, 16:04   #23

dougpad: you rule man that boat is looking to be a possible winner...ill keep my eyes open for sure.
Old 17-09-2008, 18:19   #24

Maybe I'm wrong, but from some of the pictures of the cockpit, it appears that the Rawson has no bridge deck.
Old 18-09-2008, 06:23   #25

True enough. Some have glassed in a bridgedeck. It is an easy retrofit with the way the cockpit is made. On the photo section of the yahoo group are pictures of this.

For me, I just keep a bottom board on the companionway. Not ideal but...what is?
Old 18-09-2008, 08:21   #26

First off, 33 feet is not a pocket cruiser. It's more like what you ought to be sailing if you don't have a crew. I like stand up headroom in my boat, but I sometimes wonder if demanding stand up headroom on a boat isn't much like demanding it in your car. Herreshoff said most of the sailors he knew liked to sit down to eat and all of them liked to lay down to sleep. I believe it was Uffa Fox that said, "if you want to stand up, go up on deck."

I have what I believe to be practically to perfect pocket cruiser: a Westerly Pageant. Everything you need with 6' of headroom, under 3' draft, 23' overall length. There's only one problem. She's so doggone homely. That's the price you pay for headroom on a small boat.

I like the Rawson Pilothouse.
Old 18-09-2008, 09:17   #27

keelbolts: i realize 33 feet is not a pocket cruiser, hence my original post clarifying what size boats i was talking about and that it did not meet the criteria of pocket cruiser.

the westerly pageant was one of the boats i was originally looking at. a bit homely, true, also a boat that seems to hold her value pretty well. How does she sail? slow as a flicka or not so much?

thanks for the reply
Old 18-09-2008, 09:44   #28

Boat: Mariner M31 Ketch
Headroom

Hello Kafka,

The Fuji/Mariner 31 or 32 has the headroom you are asking for, they sell cheap and have been all over the world. There are a few folks on this site that sail them, including myself; I'm 6'2" and have room to spare. Here's a site that sells them:

Mariner Yachts - Home of the Mariner Owners Association

Happy searching

Steve
Old 18-09-2008, 10:08   #29

BluesTraveler: another fine looking vessel at a decent price. I see you are not too far away, hit me up if you are ever in need of a sailing partner.
Old 18-09-2008, 11:51   #30

kafka,
I've only sailed my Pageant in light airs and she is not amazing. She's heavily built and ballasted and I've read that she is good in a blow. Her twin keels allow her to be dried out for painting & zinc replacement which can be convenient and less expensive than having to take her to a yard. That alone is a strong recommendation for her.

Rant to follow:
Before the housing bust, developers seemed hell-bent on buying up all of the working waterfront around where I live. I'm afraid that the more they succeed in turning our shores into one damned big condo development, the harder it will be to find a yard that will let you do your own work and the more expensive it will be. Find a place with a good bottom, little wave action, and few wakes and when the tide leaves you standing on your built in stands, paint your boat's bottom.

She is undeniably homely, though I prefer to describe her a "purpose built", but she has everything you need in a 23' package. For years, her previous owner sailed her from the Chesapeake Bay to the Bahamas, where he whiled away the winter in the islands. My other boat is a 32' ocean racer & the Westerly has practically as much useable space.

Tags
headroom, pocket cruiser

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: