Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-05-2013, 12:11   #46

Re: Questions for Younger Cruisers

I'm 33 too...

I can't tell you how to do it, because I'm not... but I can tell you how NOT to do it.

Don't buy a big house
Don't buy an expensive car
Have a wife willing to uproot her life to join you on this adventure

As much as I'd like to sell everything and take off tomorrow, there's too much about my lifestyle that I wouldn't want to give up right now in order to do it. Yes, a large portion of that life has to do with 'things' and 'stuff', but it's also why I know living full-time or for extended periods on a boat may not be for me... at least right now.

I do say that if it is something you want to do and your family is up to it... then do it! There's no telling where you will be next year... heck, there's no telling where I may be.

Old 29-05-2013, 12:26   #47

Boat: Cal 2-27

I sell houses for a living. Do pretty well. Funny, everyone works to pay the house off and save enough to get by after they stop working. I want to LIVE differently as I am very fast paced high stress and want/need a break and change of life to focus on the stuff in life that is important to me. It was at one time money, but I got that and found that I only wanted more, because you can never have enought. Then as i got older, I realized it was time that is important. Time to do what you want, to be where you want, with who you want. Relationships. Can't put a price on that. At the end of the day, if you have lots of money or little money, you still eat, sleep and die, the only quetsions is what you eat, where you sleep and when you die. I just want to eat good and sleep comfortaable. I want to have the time ...time is priceless...to do the things i want before i do that third thing we all do...die....make the most of it

Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.
~ Carl Sandburg

Waste your money and you’re only out of money, but waste your time and you’ve lost a part of your life.
~ Michael LeBoeuf

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” – Steve Jobs

....my old business coach was a friend of Jim Rohn....really great perspectives..you can even download some of his stuff online for free if you want..
“Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money, but you cannot get more time.” – Jim Rohn

My shift over the last 5 years has been big. I wanted to be "successful"! What is that? Most people I know think that I am. Is success how you feel or how others perceive you? I feel less successful now that 10 years ago when I had a great focus on what was actually important in life. Fortunately, over the past several years, I have managed to figure out for the second time....I'm going to get a second chance....what is really important and I can tell you that it is not what I have been focusing on for quite some time..at least we have the ability to change our outcome should we choose to change it and focus on something else with the time that we have left.

Old 29-05-2013, 12:30   #48

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

To answer the original question: if you're like some of my siblings, you get your demented mother to sign power of attorney over and then "take charge" of her assets. Very simple, effective, and lucrative. And when it gets reported, you just pay off the SOB who should be helping prosecute you.
Old 31-08-2013, 01:21   #49

Boat: none yet
Send a message via Skype™ to Monboddo
One step closer! Wife quit her job after 15 years in the same position in a bank, worked her last day yesterday, we started her online business much earlier than anticipated and we made $1500 in our first month! The plan is to build it up and grow it to a point where we can make $5000 a month from anywhere where we have internet, kill our "stuff debt" and then start saving for a boat. (were 33 with kids aged 1 & 3). My business still needs me to see clients occassionally but i'm moving towards more and more remote work and subsription services. Can highly recommend getting going on http://www.appsumo.com/?r=ao0E , there are tons of ideas, Free & discounted tools. Set up by from young people who make serious money online. Not schemes and systems, selling real products and services.

We are so excited , this morning the vibe in our (rented) home is calm, stress free and a huge sense of confidence and freedom in our lives. The fat we are now self employed opens up so much, we will be holidaying in durban n a couple weeks (where i'll present a seminar on the first morning covering the whole tips expenses) and checking out boats. Came 2 hours late on buying an abandoned ferro 50ft ketchon the hard for $1000. Would have needed about 4 years work (one weekend a month) and $5000 to get it comfy and clean. Focusing now on getting my wife used to sailing and building our skills, will hopefully buy a 22 ft viking bilge keeler as a starter day boat for that purpose. Will keep you updated.
Old 02-09-2013, 15:18   #50

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monboddo View Post
One step closer! Wife quit her job after 15 years in the same position in a bank, worked her last day yesterday, we started her online business much earlier than anticipated and we made $1500 in our first month! The plan is to build it up and grow it to a point where we can make $5000 a month from anywhere where we have internet, kill our "stuff debt" and then start saving for a boat. (were 33 with kids aged 1 & 3). My business still needs me to see clients occassionally but i'm moving towards more and more remote work and subsription services. Can highly recommend getting going on http://www.appsumo.com/?r=ao0E , there are tons of ideas, Free & discounted tools. Set up by from young people who make serious money online. Not schemes and systems, selling real products and services.

We are so excited , this morning the vibe in our (rented) home is calm, stress free and a huge sense of confidence and freedom in our lives. The fat we are now self employed opens up so much, we will be holidaying in durban n a couple weeks (where i'll present a seminar on the first morning covering the whole tips expenses) and checking out boats. Came 2 hours late on buying an abandoned ferro 50ft ketchon the hard for $1000. Would have needed about 4 years work (one weekend a month) and $5000 to get it comfy and clean. Focusing now on getting my wife used to sailing and building our skills, will hopefully buy a 22 ft viking bilge keeler as a starter day boat for that purpose. Will keep you updated.
The small day boat it's a much better idea than a fixer upper. Most never get fixed up. You need to actually sail it to learn and keep the fun alive. You also seldom save any money in the end
Old 02-09-2013, 18:29   #51

Boat: Bristol 38.8

If I were in my mid 20's to mid 30's and planning on a cruising lifestyle the first thing I would do is have a vasectomy.
Old 02-09-2013, 18:44   #52

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Surgeons will not perform a vasectomy on you, if you're in the age bracket 20-30 AND have no children. They might refer you to a shrink, though!

Mauritz
Knows and sees all...
Old 02-09-2013, 18:58   #53

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Surgeons will not perform a vasectomy on you, if you're in the age bracket 20-30 AND have no children.
Sure they will. I know several men who had vasectomies in their 20's. They put your sperm in a sperm bank in case you change your mind and want to have children with your genes.
Old 02-09-2013, 18:58   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Questions for younger cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubeJ View Post
I have to disagree fully here due to my situation. My child is in preschool and one on the way. You do qualify! I am slowly getting there. I am enjoying my minimalist life style.

If I was single...that would be the way to go. I am one of those who "finally got it" in my 30's, and wasn't too bad in debt to climb out. We got rid of 70k in debt (includes my BA, MS) and all...

Thanks everyone, sound and solid advice...I think the "seabatical" is my new goal...save up and just go. I can always come back and get another job. My wife hates sailing, so she can stay at home and work, hahahaha. Her turn anyway!!! "jokes, dont tell her i said that" haha
He also forgot to mention getting deported from commonwealth countries and begging local sailors for money to repair is boat so said deportation could occur.

Not the best way to go....
Old 03-09-2013, 09:23   #55

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Oiy! so many possibilities.
I've had the experience of helping an older gentleman who ended up in the boatyard I used to be at make the transition to life ashore, mostly i helped spiff his boat enough to get someone to buy it since it was in pretty rough shape when he got to that point.
His biggest issue was lack of funds, in general, including any type of retirement money, he had no immediate family and no funds at an advanced age, not a pretty picture at his age (mid 70's), his transition back to life ashore was not smooth. Some in the cruising community are lucky in that they can write or have a source of income not reliant on their physical health or ability, not all do, and none of us can predict the state of our health that far in the future. Most of us think that will never happen to us, but eventually we all end up there.
If you think you want to do it for a lifetime then you better be creative and gain skills that will allow you to make a living that would carry over into your senior years, otherwise you are going to have to invest in retirement funds during your productive years to cover you in your later life. The economy in the US is not kind to seniors these days, from the limited funds available from social security to even trying to get a job if your over 50, no matter what your skills or ability is just getting uglier and I don't see it changing.
Going cruising is a very personal decision, I agree that if you want to do it then make a plan and make it happen, how you make that happen is as individual as why you want to do it, I wouldn't even begin to try to tell you how.
In my case, my wife and I make enough to qualify in the upper 2% income range but you wouldn't know it from our appearance, I drive a car with 285,000 miles on it, it runs great and is paid for. We don't need status symbols, our life is simple, we own rental properties, we live in one of them, it allowed us to buy a solid boat within our means in cash, it allows us to save a great deal and invest in retirement. It's not for everyone, but living a simple life which does not require a great deal of cash to support allows us to do what we want in our cruising life. We also have two small children who will be going with us. Our plan is to leave in 4 years and keep going as long as we can, in the mean time we cruise when we can and do what we need to do to make it happen.
Make a plan, stick to it, buy within your means, learn to fix it yourself or don't have it on your boat, don't think you need everything everyone else has they're probably trust fund babies so you'll never keep up with them, don't worry about it. I've had simple boats and I've had boats with every imaginable comfort and system on them, we own a boat that's somewhere in the middle of that range now and are quite happy with that. I'm lucky that I work in a technically oriented field so I can fix everything on the boat without having to pay someone else to do it but still, those systems will eventually need parts, which are expensive, so pick wisely and go with the minimum systems you feel comfortable with to keep it cheap, then you'll have more money for the cruising kitty.
A friend of mine just moved into a larger boat from dinghy sailing, he was paranoid about doing some coastal cruising since his radar was not working at the time, after spending two hours on the phone with him trying to diagnose it I finally told him to just go without it. He was aghast, until I let him know that out of 35 years of sailing I had only had a radar on a boat for the last 5 years and didn't feel it was a must have, it's really nice, it makes me feel better in the fog, but if I didn't have it I wouldn't panic. Figure out what you really need and go from there, you might need a lot less than you think.

Tags
paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: