Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 04:00   #1

Questions About Sailing and Boat

I am a current law student deciding to become a sailor! I have 5,000 and live in florida. would either of these boats work to quit law school and learn to sail around the caribbean? I have no idea how to sail, will probably coast it for awhile to figure it out and try bartering for lessons. If anyone has advice would be great- negative advice not needed! I am sailing out!

1978 TANZER 22' SAIL BOAT or 1978 North American Sloop Weekender
-Adjustable swing keel/ kick up rudder and tiller
-21 Ft. fiberlass hull, no leaks or soft spots
jer033044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 03:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hi Jer...
I don't see why you cannot do it in the Tanzer 22... they look to be a pretty solid boat and seem to have a strong Association which is usually a good sign for a boat type...
If I could take a 22ftr and a 21ftr across the Biscay to Spain and Portugal I don't see why you cannot island hop to the Caribbean in your eventual 'new boat'.
As for experience/knowledge... its a steep learning curve and it'll come on you fast... just take it easy and don't push her... you'll do just fine.
Check out this site... you may find it useful..
http://mobyware.com/mobyware/mobyware.shtml
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20062009(001).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	20064   Click image for larger version

Name:	28102008(001).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	20065  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 07:57   #3

Barter for lessons? What kind of lessons?

Perhaps you should finish law school. If you barter for lessons in The Bahamas, or any other Caribbean nation that is not part of the U.S. (assuming you are a U.S. citizen), without first getting all the proper permits and visas (not easy to do), then you will be violating the law and might very well find need of some legal training.

If you are talking about bartering for sailing lessons, then even in the U.S. you will first need to be licensed by the Coast Guard.

My advice would be to stay in school. When you are finished you will have far more options to allow you to sail and see the world.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 08:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer033044 View Post
If anyone has advice would be great- negative advice not needed! I am sailing out!
I would encourage you to take all advice, both positive and negative and build a reasonable set of expectations.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 15:59   #5

Boat: Cal 2-46 Splish Splash
Thumbs up degree first, sail second

I agree with the above, don't give up your dream BUT gut it out and Finish School, then you will have a "fall back" plan for when/if you tire of sailing. In the meantime look around for a good deal on a small day sailer and dink around on weekends to get the feel of sailing. If you could luck out and find a Columbia 26 in good shape (my first boat 40 yrs. ago) you could be fixing her up for cruising as you learn. They are simple, easy, strong, comfortable, and roomy for their size.

Besides, who knows but that during that extra year in school and practice sailing you might just meet a suitable sailing companion who shares your interest and...................
SeaSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 22:51   #6

Boat: Vagabond 42
Why????
I am in school and sailing. I am in school so I will have more time to sail in the future (I am not talking about waiting until I retire). If you hate law (not the school - school is temporary), quit law school. Try something else. Despite the expectations of the western world, you do not have to decide what you want to be when you grow up, and stick with it for the rest of your life. Decide what you want to learn or try and do it. If you don't like it change your mind and do something else. This includes sailing. But don't throw out the baby with the bathwater before you give it a go. You might change your mind. Nothing is for everybody (well there is food, water, . . . ). What I am saying is it doesn't have to be all or nothing, and there is nothing wrong with changing your mind. Just remember to take your nickers when you go cause its always nice to have your hiney covered.
Old 05-11-2010, 00:20   #7

Boat: Traditional 30
Finish the law degree. Sail in the breaks. But finish the degree. Then go sailing as long as you want.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:25   #8

Boat: Peterson 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Finish the law degree. Sail in the breaks. But finish the degree. Then go sailing as long as you want.

Cheers
Oz
Ozzie & I must be a pair of old so & so's, but I agree with him.

Get your ticket. If you dont know how to sail - read a book and then go out and learn!

Get enough confidence before you head offshore.

DOnt give up on it though.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:05   #9

Boat: Westsail 32
Finish law school first, doesn't mean you have to be lawyer, god knows we have enough already. I quit coillege, put on a backpack and hitch hiked home, something I now regret. Having the degree will open up many more options for you whle sailing to make the bucks that our boats like to suck up.

Best of Luck!
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:28   #10

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"
The Tanzer 22 is a great sailing boat but I wouldn't want to live on one very long.Low headroom and small spaces inside.

Phil
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote