Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 21:37   #46

Boat: Faurby 396
Re: Questions About Buying an ETAP

Olianta, I'm stoked by your great experience with your 21/22 - do you tend to single-handed or take crew?

Selena, I usually sail it single or with my wife, whom I would not qualify as crew.

n pro/conning the 22 vs the 26' for offshoreing the 26 is obvy the smarter choice - more stable, more storage so it is the one I'm going to aim for instead of the 22 *sniff*

The Etap 26 was actually my first choice but it weigh 1,8 ton and together with the trailer more, so it needs a more powerful towing vehicle, which I do not have. The 26 has an anchor bow locker and besides has a separate cabin at the bow. This oiat is a confortable weekend cruiser also for a family of 4.
olianta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 10:02   #47

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Questions about buying an ETAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
<Snip>
Alain, in your opinion do you think the lifting keel could be handled by a woman (ie: me)? My upper body strength is pretty good. My concern with using an electric winch would be if the power was down. I'd like to have a manual back up.
<Snip>
Serena,
I have been away at sea for a few days, so the delay in answering.

Yes, I think a woman could handle the lifting keel of an Etap22. Anyway, a longer handle could be adapted.

In fact, one big point is the boat size: my father wanted a trailerable boat. It is possible to transport an Etap22 behind a car. The disadvantage of such a small boat is reduced space inside (but still sufficient for 2 people cruising along the shore in summer) and limited seakindliness.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 03:29   #48

Thanx Olianta and Alain

Olianta - I'd be willing to go up to a 4WD to tow a 26' but I suppose the other question is also storage. May I ask, where do you store your 22'? And what kind of car have you tended to tow her with?? (ie 4 cylinder?)

Alain - no worries about delayed response! Thank you for taking the trouble to write. Yup, the storage has been on my mind...22' may be too small, 26' might be just right.

I'm still blown away by the German couple who apparently sailed around the world on an ETAP 21' with their toddler. It took them 3yrs. I can only presume they had dozens of stops b/c storage/provisioning for 3 people on a 21 footer is truly mysterious to me.
Old 16-12-2011, 14:10   #49

[QUOTE=Serena;839250]Thanx Olianta and Alain

Olianta - I'd be willing to go up to a 4WD to tow a 26' but I suppose the other question is also storage. May I ask, where do you store your 22'? And what kind of car have you tended to tow her with?? (ie 4 cylinder?)

The 4WD car, in my opinion, is a must. 6 cylinder is preferable. Actually, each car has a quoted max towing capicity. My car is a 6 cylinder 4WD but has a quoted capacity of 1,5 tons. It is not only the power of engine and 4WD that matters when towing. The vehicle must be conceived for towing a higher load trailer and to be heavy enough as well. Besides, towing a 26' boat needs definitely a 2 axes trailer which in Europe requires a B+E cathegory driving licence, i.e. you must upgrade. You should check your local laws about this. A 2 axes trailer is more stable on the road, however, more difficult to manouver. Difficulty of launching and retrieving a bigger boat and the rigging time is another issue to consider. You should decide whether you need a trailerable boat at all. It would be preferable if you don't have much time to sail your boat to distant sailing areas that you would like to visit, which are easier to reach by road. Besides, people prefer sailor trailers to avoid marina fees and craning costs. If you are going to spend more time offshore, I would recommend a bigger boat, bigger than 26'. It will be more comfortable and seaworthy. Etaps have bigger models as well. A 32' would be perfect. On your question - for the time being I keep my boat in the local marina. When I get bored with the sailing area, may be next or some other year I will tow it to some Greek mediterranean marina. Etap 22 is a boat that many people in Europe also sail in big lakes and because of its easiness to be towed, launched/retrieved and rigged (apart from its sailing qualities).
Old 16-12-2011, 15:04   #50

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi,

My friend sails a 37' and another guy I met sails a small thing (23 perhaps). Both are good boats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 18:42   #51

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

[QUOTE=olianta;839591]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Thanx Olianta and Alain

a 26' boat needs definitely a 2 axes trailer which in Europe requires a B+E cathegory driving licence, i.e. you must upgrade. You should check your local laws about this. A 2 axes trailer is more stable on the road, however, more difficult to manouver. Difficulty of launching and retrieving a bigger boat and the rigging time is another issue to consider. .
Actually a 2 axle trailer is much easier to reverse than a single axle trailer and no extra endorsement on licence in Aus. that being said a 26ft boat on a trailer is large and requires a largish towing vehicle.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 01:48   #52

Downunder, you are absolutely right about the reverse better tracking of the 2 axle trailer. If you don't need a license, one should opt for a 2-axle because the boat lies more stable on it. Turning is more dificult but as you said in reverse it is a priority.

Tags
buying