Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2015, 17:56   #1

Quality seaworthy PNW cruisers

Hi, are you getting sick of people asking for boat recommendations yet? It's fun isn't it??

Well if so, then here's your chance to press the back button.

What quality makes/models would any of you suggest for the PNW within the following criteria?
I'm interested in a cruiser that is seaworthy but not a slug. I'm just shy of 6'4", so cabin height is an issue.
Here are some other details to narrow down your suggestions -
- 27-32'
- fiberglass
- bermudan or cutter rigged sloop
- skeg or keel hung rudder

I've recently been researching the Alberg 30 and the Albin Vega 27. What do you think of these and what others would you suggest looking into? What other details might narrow the suggestions?
Evanallmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 18:18   #2

Boat: ORSO 1983 Nordica 20, PUFFER 1983 NORDICA 30
Re: Quality seaworthy PNW cruisers

Love the vega but if headroom is an issue for you, cross it off your list. It has 5'-8" at the highest. You will gain maybe 1 inch if it has no cabin liner. The ballad has 6'-0" I believe. Both have a great following and tons of info on the web. But are known as capable boats. The ballad is a racer designed under IOR regulations. The vega is more if a trad design deriving from the Swedish folkboat. Good luck in your search

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 19:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orso View Post
Love the vega but if headroom is an issue for you, cross it off your list. It has 5'-8" at the highest. You will gain maybe 1 inch if it has no cabin liner. The ballad has 6'-0" I believe. Both have a great following and tons of info on the web. But are known as capable boats. The ballad is a racer designed under IOR regulations. The vega is more if a trad design deriving from the Swedish folkboat. Good luck in your search

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
Right, headroom. I was having trouble finding the Vega's headroom measurement. I wish this detail was listed more often. Maybe it's due to this not being an issue back when people were shorter... I'll check out the Ballad. Thanks.
Evanallmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 00:04   #4

If your hanging around the PNW there are a few C&C 34's around for the 30k range.

Very capable.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
kabball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 02:40   #5

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Depending on how much of the year you want to be out sailing you might want to consider a pilot house; Gulf 32, PSC 32, Rawson 30, Tanzer 10.5 and Northsea 34 off the top of my head. Lots of rain/slush and a fair bit of motoring in the winter. Two types of wind; too much, and not enough. Inside helm and a cup of coffee make the cold weather much more comfortable.
Fair weather summer sailing? Anything goes.
Agree with the headroom issue on the Vega. 5'8" is being generous.
Awesome cruising grounds though.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Where are you going to sail?
The inside passage is much different than the Pacific and Cape Flattery.
You want to research a boat? Sail it.
I have a 40 foot Valiant that I consider moderate sized for the ocean here- really not very big at all.
The George and Hess boats being built at Port Townsend are good for these waters.
Once up in the San Juans all I see are Catalinas and Hunters....They don't make it very often outside the straits of Juan de Fuca.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Johnston.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	97499  
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 08:54   #7

Boat: Scout 30

Having lived in Portland for many years I've cruised that area a little & have to second the pilot house suggestion. It will really extend your season & range. That being said it does limit your choices & they are typically more expensive. What is your price range?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 09:00   #8

Here's a couple:
32' Gulf 32 Pilothouse Sloop
gulf 27 motorsailor
Old 20-02-2015, 09:06   #9

These look interesting:

30 Rawson Pilothouse Sloop 1977

TRADE - Your wood boat for my fiberglass

39' Landfall Pilothouse Ketch

40' Pilothouse Motorsailer
Old 20-02-2015, 10:12   #10

Boat: Island Packet 420

Another option you can consider if you don't like the pilot house idea is just adding a full canvas enclosure. This is what our boat has, and it definitely makes winter sailing much more reasonable. I'm sure a true pilothouse has better weather protection and is easier to heat, but at least the full enclosure option doesn't have you discounting 95% of the boats that are out there. Something to think about.

I have the side curtains off in this picture, but you get the idea:
blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 10:13   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanallmighty View Post
Hi, are you getting sick of people asking for boat recommendations yet? It's fun isn't it??

Well if so, then here's your chance to press the back button.

What quality makes/models would any of you suggest for the PNW within the following criteria?
I'm interested in a cruiser that is seaworthy but not a slug. I'm just shy of 6'4", so cabin height is an issue.
Here are some other details to narrow down your suggestions -
- 27-32'
- fiberglass
- bermudan or cutter rigged sloop
- skeg or keel hung rudder

I've recently been researching the Alberg 30 and the Albin Vega 27. What do you think of these and what others would you suggest looking into? What other details might narrow the suggestions?
Kick away no one cares. One thing you may also want suggestions, from experience, to consider is bunk length not only headroom.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 10:14   #12

Boat: Niagara 35

If you're planning to be cruising on the inside in summer (which is typical of most of us here in the PNW) and only occasionally head out to the west coast or do one or two winter trips, then just about anything will do.

If you want to cruise extensively in winter or head out of the straights on a regular basis, then you might need to start taking the word seaworthy a bit more seriously and considering things like how the rudder is hung.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 10:17   #13

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkerfluid View Post
Another option you can consider if you don't like the pilot house idea is just adding a full canvas enclosure. This is what our boat has, and it definitely makes winter sailing much more reasonable. I'm sure a true pilothouse has better weather protection and is easier to heat, but at least the full enclosure option doesn't have you discounting 95% of the boats that are out there. Something to think about.

I have the side curtains off in this picture, but you get the idea:

We have one of these as well. It really extends the season and you can put it on any boat you like (custom fit to the boat). If you leave the companionway open, the furnace will actually heat the cockpit a little.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 10:25   #14

The Vega is real small, and narrow. You might find a Rawson 30, or Rawson 30 pilot house in good shape... many are not.
Not particularly fond of the R30 PH interior layout. But you might like it.
The Alberg 30 is nice , again if you can find a nice one.
Gulf 32 very similar to the Rawson.
Keel hung rudder and slug probably go hand in hand on 28-30 ft! Mainly because older designs often have short water lines.
I sailed a Rawson extensively in the PNW and I loved the boat. One of the driest boats I ever had of any length!
Luders 33 is a sweet boat but rare.
Yankee 30 's are great, but not many left around.
That Rawson 30PH link shown above looks pretty darn nice... only into it $15-20k too! Lots of headroom.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 21:31   #15

Boat: Ericson 38

I have an Endeavour 32 sloop which I believe has 6-4 inch headroom and is a great sailer in all conditions here in the inside waters of the northwest. I have two friends who sail with me regularly who are 6-6 and 6-4 who love the boat. These are stout boats which I believe were underrated which you should look at if you can find one in good shape. They are usually quite inexpensive. Check them out on the Endeavour 32 owners Forum.
kenL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, seaworthy