Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2015, 06:01   #1

Boat: Conyplex, Contest, 48'
Purchasing boat with broken mast

I'm looking to purchase a Morgan 382 that the mast has been demasted due to hitting a bridge. The deck also a soft spot of about 2x3ft on the topside. Can someone help me what questions to ask and what other things to look for? Any idea what ballpark price the cost of repairs might be if we did most of the work ourselves? I would love to have an idea before wasting the person's time but would love to have a morgan 382. I'm not afraid of hard work and learning to do new things. Yes, we are greenhorns but what better way to learn the inside and outs of a boat by repairing her back to a good condition. Thanks ahead of time of anyone's helpful insight and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
fishbait58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 12:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Purchasing boat with broken mast

Do you still have the pieces of the broken mast? A new one will likely run north of $30,000. The deck is an issue and needs to be adressed, but the mast is the real issue.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 12:40   #3

A used mast with rigging will run you well under $5K if you shop around but may be as much to transport unless you find one nearby. Doesn't make any economic sense to be getting a new mast and rigging on an old Morgan. It would be much cheaper to get one in decent shape to begin with.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 12:44   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Are you buying from the owner? I am wondering because there had to be insurance company involvement in the accident.

To the original question: The mast and rigging will set you back about the amount mentioned by Stumble. The thing is, it will not stop there. You will need a survey to determine if there was no other structural damage such as chainplates, etc. You definitely need to know everything that needs to be fixed before you commit yourself. The soft deck can be DIY repaired without any problems, but structural damages are expensive to correct.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 13:22   #5

Sounds like you need to thoroughly go over the entire deck. Inspect everywhere the mast was.(mast steps/ keel steps). Spray the deck with a hose while someone stands inside to spot leaks. I would just ask The current owner a ton of questions about the actual indecent. As for fixing it yourself. You will have to do quite a bit of research depending on your experience. 2'x3' is a rather large area. IMO by the time you do the research you will have a better idea of the cost of materials. If it were a flush 2'x3' hole that you needed to glass and paint you could prob get it done somewhere under 3-400$. Roughly estimated the mast and deck could be thousands each depending on what it needs and how you would like it set up for the future.Then there's everything else on the boat. If your set on getting a Morgan there are quite a few fixer uppers out there that just need a loving home.
DeepInIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 13:31   #6

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

It doesn't sound like you have enough experience to buy a boat with a broken mast. Checking yachtworld, a used Morgan 382 goes for $30k-$40k. Personally I'd think a boat in that price range without a mast should be free, as you will likely spend $30k just to re-rig the boat.

If you want to become a sailor, buy a boat that doesn't need this much work. This is the kind of boat somebody who likes to work on boats buys.

That boat will end up costing you way more than you can ever hope to get out of it, and if you took that bucket of money and put it towards another boat (with a mast) you'd be much better off. That's probably what the current owner is thinking.

You're also much better off buying a boat from somebody that has enough seamanship to not run into a bridge. I'd bet besides the broken mast and soft deck there are a ton of other issues with that boat as well.

Almost all boats in that price range will need work, you're much better off starting with little projects than something this major.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 18:04   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
A new one will likely run north of $30,000.
Did anyone else think it was ironic someone with the word attorney in his signature quoted 6x the price of the other guy's $5k price.
r0ach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 18:17   #8
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I replaced the mast on my old S&S34 tall rig. I went with a new Selden double spreader (upgrade from single) with new boom, solid vang, all new standing and running rigging for $12k. This was in 2004. I am sure the Morgan mast is going to be a larger section and taller.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 20:54   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ach View Post
Did anyone else think it was ironic someone with the word attorney in his signature quoted 6x the price of the other guy's $5k price.
New versus used pricing.

Old 19-03-2015, 21:19   #10

Quote:
New versus used pricing.
And my $5K estimate was very liberal. Most likely around $1.5-2K plus the cost of a haul.

One other thing. Why in the world would you get a new mast for a 30+ year old Morgan? This type of thinking is exactly what scares the newbies from joining boat owners' club. And yes, someone said it right that such a mastless boat should be a freebie. And if the seller has no idea how to replace a broken mast with a used one for under a few $Ks there are probably a lot of other issues than the mast and the 2'X3" spot of soft deck. What else did the seller not fix because he considered it "too expensive" to fix?
Old 19-03-2015, 21:21   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
New versus used pricing.
And that new price you suggested was in line with what other members have reported paying for a new mast.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 06:18   #12

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
And my $5K estimate was very liberal. Most likely around $1.5-2K plus the cost of a haul....
A 46' mast and rigging for under $2K? Where in the world do you live?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 09:10   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
If you can find a used mast, with the same profile, and dimensions i couldbelieve $5,000. Heck I could believe a lot less. Scrap value for aluminium is around $1/lb, so for a breaker yard selling for anything more than scrap price is a win.

But finding a used mast isn't all that easy. Maybe if you live in south Florida at a boatyard that breaks post hurricane boats there would be some sort of selection, but otherwise I doubt it. I have had to replace two masts for relatively large one design boats, and couldn't find a used one anywhere. Despite some's beliefs I just don't think it is a reasonable plan. But sure it's worth looking, you might get lucky.

Old 20-03-2015, 09:18   #14

Boat: Conyplex, Contest, 48'

The boat does come with a new mast and the original mast and rigging. Here is a copy of the info that I have:

"Vessel is a Morgan 38 Sailboat - Model 382 from 1980

I am selling this project boat for a friend. The mast broke (previous owner hit a bridge) and a spare mast does come with the boat to re-mast her. All Standing rigging and original boom is included. The boat has new(er) chain plates. Not sure if they were replaced after the mishap but they look strong and new.

Main cockpit winches are now included. Now found!!!

She really needs someone who has the time to put into her. Wood and materials won't cost much but the labor is what is required to bring her back.

I just ran the engine a Perkins 4108 and installed 2x New Marine Grp27 batteries also.
Engine looks like it needs a new impeller and probably a reconditioned water pump">Raw water pump (as its dripping water) A good service with all filters and check over is required.

Wheel steering and a very solid boat. New Chain plates recently installed. She has a good working windlass on the bow and is a very desirable boat that is well capable of offshore cruising.

She has had some water damage to her flooring - sole and interior but it remains solid. The ceiling panels need to be replaced too. The last owner had a 1/4" veneer of Teak and Holly plywood installed over the floor and its a bit springy but the actual floor underneath seems good.

She has a soft spot on the deck but is in an easy place to repair. Approx 3'x2' amidships on port deck."

If we think the boat is worth the $5,000, we would definitely get a survey to hopefully find out if there are any other hidden problems but would like to not spend the money on a survey if the cost is more than $15,000 to fix her up. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
fishbait58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 09:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I live in the world where used masts are bargained for $1,500-2,000, often including booms and all standing rigging. Last time I was offered a mast for that price was few years ago (2012?) in RI at some guy's backyard which looked like a boat junk yard. I came to see a stern arch and some other hardware he had advertised on c-list and saw a bunch of masts and booms, some definitely at least 50' and the guy started offering booms between $300 and $500 and masts between $1,500 and $2,000. It would have cost another $300-500 to haul it to where my friend's boat was. The seller said that for $2,000 flat he will deliver mast, boom and rigging within 100 miles. Had I known of this forum back then I would have bought it right there and then and resold it here for a quick profit.

Tags
mast, purchasing