Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2014, 16:03   #61

Boat: 1979 Pearson 323
Re: Purchasing a sailboat for Bahamas trip

Paul Annapolis - I not sure where you see that I am pushing the west coast purchase in any of my recent post??? The couple of questions I have ask were in no way directed toward an west coast purchase only toward the purchase of a sailboat. The thread has morphed into a great discussion on buying a boat in my price range and some tricks that my help me out in my quest. I'll take all the advice I can get on the subject from this crowd.

Sailorman Ed - I hear you on the sunblock. On our prior trips to Eleuthera we have run out and paid dearly. I think we will need one of those wall mounted Gojo containers full of sunblock!
Old 10-03-2014, 20:58   #62

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Jeff- I've bought a used boat in FL and NC. NC does not charge sales tax for used boats. If you buy one in FL, then get a cruising permit for FL so that you can sail it back to NC - or wherever- and not pay tax in FL. Wherever you keep it in NC, you will pay county taxes there, and more, if you are also in another tax jurisdiction, like New Bern in Craven county as an example.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 22:34   #63

Boat: Endeavour 35

Howdy Partner, Your neighbor from Wyoming here! Maybe I can encourage you a bit, in May 2009 we got the sailing bug and took a 10 day sailing course in Marina Del Ray. In August we drove our Tahoe to the east coast and went shopping with less money than we should have had. In September we closed on our boat in NC and sold the Tahoe in the parking lot. In November we were headed south down the ICW. Spent Christmas in Key Largo, New years in Key West, Superbowled in Nassau, birthday in the Jumentos, summer in Maine...then ran out of money!
Now we work back in Wyoming and then go cruise a while! (about 50/50) for us this is the best of all worlds.
However you choose to do it, listen to others advise but do what makes sense to you. My story my seem irresponsible to some, but we studied and learned new things as we went. In a short time we cowpokes became some pretty good sailors and so can you. Sailing is one of those things you can never learn it all but you can learn more each time...but you have to start somewhere!
WeBe looking for a Montana boat in the anchorage...
Old 11-03-2014, 10:43   #64

Boat: 1979 Pearson 323

Waterway Guide - Thanks for keeping an eye out for boats and the update on the guide. If a cheap one pops up prior to the 2016 version I'll definatly scoop it up. I'm a sucker for planning!

Cheoah - Sounds like the route to take with taxes. I'm going to dig into this aspect further prior to purcase.

Wyoming pirate - Sounds like an amazing trip. Way to make it happen despite being landlocked. Birthday in Jumetos...amazing place to be. Then all the way back to Maine. You covered some water!!! Hopefully it will all work out and we'll have a story to share like yours. Very encouraging story!

Still got the boat stached out east? When's the next trip down?

Thanks all.

Tags
Bahamas, purchasing, sail, sailboat