Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 10:34   #46

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Purchasing a sailboat for Bahamas trip

When I bought my new cat in the fall, I got 4 BOS:
  • one for the boat
  • one for the dingy (cheap)
  • one for the dingy OB (very expensive - no tax on the OB)
  • and one for all the boat contents
this way I am only paying tax on the actual boat & dingy as there is a lot of stuff that comes inside/ with the boat.

BTW, tax in NC is 3% up to a max of $1,500
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:41   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post

OK, but he said that he will be using the boat in FL.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:56   #48

Boat: 1979 Pearson 323

Buying on the east coast, not sure the exact location. It will probably be registered in NC as that will be my home port. I know nothing about this portion yet, so I've got a lot to learn!

Thanks for the helpful info.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:58   #49

I'd buy on the east coast. You dont need to get too carried away for the Bahamas outfitting. Find one with alot of what you need. Although beware if any of the stuff is over 5 years old. The best boat deals seem to be on the eastern seaboard anyway.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:20   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunknown View Post
Buying on the east coast, not sure the exact location. It will probably be registered in NC as that will be my home port. I know nothing about this portion yet, so I've got a lot to learn!

Thanks for the helpful info.
For some reason I thought you said FL.

In general, wherever you buy it you will be subject to that States sales tax unless you remove in the allowed time. After it is moved it will be subject to the new States use tax if it is higher than what you already paid in sales tax or did not pay sales tax. You will generally pay just the difference.

If you purchase and register in NC you will have to be careful that you don't trigger the use tax somewhere else and keep in mind that all States do not have the same time trigger to generate the tax.

OTOH, you are only talking about a max 20K boat so it's not like you need a complicated tax strategy.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:30   #51

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Jeff, there are many of us who sail out of Dayton, up on the Flathead. It is a great place to sail and learn. Things happen really fast out on a lake that big, so you will learn quickly.

There are folks who have boats at Dayton who have crossed the Atlantic and sailed around the Bahamas. Drive up for a day this summer. There are many friendly people around. Please stop by and say "hello" if we are there that particular day.

I do agree with those who have advised you to purchase a boat somewhere in Florida. We were just down there and have friends who bought an absolutly beautiful Island Packet.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 13:05   #52

Florida seems like the most likely place to purchase if I end up buying on the east coast due to the large # of boats for sale. I definitely wouldn't rule out other areas on the southeast coast if it was the right boat.

True, I probably shouldn't worry too much about the tax with the lower purchase price, but every little bit of savings will help!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the Dayton sailors. We are excited to get up there and start sailing! Would love the opportunity to meet some people in MT that have done this trip before. I will keep my eyes out for you when we're up on the lake.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-03-2014, 14:46   #53

Boat: Maine Cat 30

Mr Unknown,

To echo the comments above: Buy a boat in FL. Don't get fancy. My first 3 trips there were on 28' - 30' boats with a tiller, a vhf, hand pump water, compass, and RDF (radio directional finder), one head for 7 guys (college days), crossing the GS from Miami or Ft Lauderdale. Good times. Only ran aground once :/ The point is that the Bahamas, in my opinion, lend themselves to navigation by dead reckoning (assuming good visibility and a good cruising guide) and line of sight and so you don't need a lot of fancy nav equipment. Your smartphone will probably give you all the maps you need. You should have a depth meter. Keeping a sharp eye out for shallow water (and coral heads) is a must.

Get a survey though. That's one fancy thing you may very well regret not having.
Old 09-03-2014, 14:54   #54

Boat: Maine Cat 30

Disclaimer: I'm just getting back in to sailing after a long hiatus so view my comments through the proper lens
Old 10-03-2014, 10:23   #55

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
When I bought my new cat in the fall, I got 4 BOS:
  • one for the boat
  • one for the dingy (cheap)
  • one for the dingy OB (very expensive - no tax on the OB)
  • and one for all the boat contents
this way I am only paying tax on the actual boat & dingy as there is a lot of stuff that comes inside/ with the boat.

The guy that bought my boat in FL wrote up different recipts also. One for the boat, one for the dingy and one for all the other things. LOTS - anchor, chain, rope, electronics, grill, VHF, compass, dang near everything. Said the boat is only the hull and nothing else. I was not there when he paid the taxes. I just sold it.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:45   #56
Marine Service Provider

You have gotten many good replies and I say ditto to buying on the east coast--the suggestion of going to Washington seemed to be unconstructive, but florida is probably best but I am concerned that your budget is too low--doable perhaps as some have shown, but still low, but even at a $15k purchase price, how familiar are you with what it will cost to fix up--which at this price will likely need--and to maintain and to spend while looking around for this boat...plus what else? liferaft? Epirb? refrigeration? Who knows?.. dinghy???? Any boat you buy will be rather old of course! Whatever you think it will cost to fix up and maintain double the estimate for time and money just to be safe. Your experience or lack of sailing experience may not be as important as your experience with boat ownership and maintenance.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:37   #57

I agree in the mindset that we must keep it simple. There is a lot of gear out there that we would love to have, but don't feel it is neccessary to make such a trip possible or safe.

Hopefully, finding the right boat that has cruised will contain most of the gear we will need to make it "coastal cruising" in the bahamas. We won't have a life raft, we'll have a PLB versus the Epirb, refrigeration at most will be a small engel unless an efficient system is in place. I have 2 good handheld gps systems and would want one more in the form of a fish finder/depth finder/gps. We wouldn't have radar or an ssb, but I would want a hard wired vhf and a hand held. A far as the dingy, a used hypalon avon w/ob will suffice, unless a RIB is included!!! I really appreciate it when cost of a boat are pointed out because it makes me think more about what we really need and how to make our budget work while being safe in our journey.

Luckily, I'm extremely handy which will help keep the labor cost down. I know things like bottom paint, rigging repairs, engine repairs, electrical problems, etc can really eat up funds quick, so hopefully my labor can lower the impact on the kitty.

...and as far as the reciept for boat purchase go, great idea on breaking it out to just the boat! Maybe that savings will buy my other 2 explorer chartbooks!!
Old 10-03-2014, 12:40   #58

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunknown View Post
Wow, thanks for the great advice so quickly.

I started looking in Florida, but at our price point, (15k max purchase with 5k for necessary upgrades) I didn't think we would be able to find one ready to go. I was assuming that I would need a couple months extra for shopping/repairs if I bought one on the east coast, which would cost me lost wages by departing early. Do you think a boat could be found truly "ready to cruise" with necessary items only (no frills) for 20k total investment on the east coast?

If I was able to tow the boat across country by myself (seen some with trailers in our size range) would that change anyone opinion on where I should buy?

Thanks for bringing up the draft. That is actually one of our biggest concerns with the boat we choose. It is very hard to find A 4'ish draft out west. We really like to get off the beaten path when we travel so being able to gunkhole is key to us.

Definitely going to get the Waterway Guide. Mike, do you think there will be updates to the guide prior to departure in Dec 2015 or would I be safe to purchase for planning purposes now?

My 7th edition Explorer Chartbook for the Exumas is on the way now...excited to plan!

Thanks again for all the help...I should have joined sooner!!!
Jeff
I think you have the best chance of finding the boat you want somewhere on the east coast (Florida's always considered the best...it's where sailors go to die...or switch to trawlers!). You've got a tough price-point though, no matter where you look. I'm not saying you can't find the right boat for that price, but you will find a lot of "wrong" boats for that price. I'll keep my eye out around here (Ches. Bay) and NC for boats coming fresh off cruising this spring.

As for the Waterway Guide Bahamas Edition, I'd wait until the 2016 comes out around Oct. of 2015 – there are always tons of updates each year, and most critically in the Bahamas. (If you can find a cheap one meanwhile, that would be fun for planning). Happy Cruising!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:53   #59
Marine Service Provider

There seems to be a general consensus to purchase the boat on the east coast yet you continue to pose and ask about options involving a boat from the west coast. For many reasons it seems to make no sense but if so many people you have asked say go east, why not listen? I also told my children and just about anyone else to not ask a question if they don't really want it answered. MAny respondents have already given you very clear indications about what you might expect for $15k yet here again, you continue to ask. I am not trying to be impertinent but please, listen to what we are writing or at least in my case, I'd be hesitant to respond any further. You will spend lots of time and money going to the west coast where choices will be limited and you could better spend that time and money on the east coast--especially since you plan for the Bahamas. 4' or 5'...not that big a difference but over 5' becomes an issue. Why not move to Florida, buy a boat and liveaboard while fixing it up and maybe one of you can work full or part time to build up the cruising budget. In the meantime you'll be in the company of many others doing similar things and going or coming from similar places where the weather is nice and everything is available...or go to Puget Sound in the cold and fog..buy a trailer, drive across country etc etc....pay for gas, tolls, hotels, meals and a week where you could actually be doing something for the boat......no liferaft??? Okay if you are just crossing to the banks but for more offshore....uhh uhh...just my thoughts....
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:57   #60

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

The,
Quote:
Hopefully, finding the right boat that has cruised will contain most of the gear we will need to make it "coastal cruising" in the bahamas. We won't have a life raft, we'll have a PLB versus the Epirb, refrigeration at most will be a small engel unless an efficient system is in place. I have 2 good handheld gps systems and would want one more in the form of a fish finder/depth finder/gps. We wouldn't have radar or an ssb, but I would want a hard wired vhf and a hand held. A far as the dingy, a used hypalon avon w/ob will suffice, unless a RIB is included!!!
You have it right now. For the Bahamas - dingy = liferaft ( or just stand on the cabin top after the keel hits the bottom), PLB will work fine, actually your VHF will be better, self container Engle is perfect. You will need shade protection and a good swim ladder. Other than crossing the Gulf stream, you will rarely be out of sight of land. Polarized sun glasses and sunscreen ( was difficult to find and expensive and you will use lots!)
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, purchasing, sail, sailboat