Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 08:47   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Purchase, then Overland Shipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I almost bought a H 356 in St. Augustine and considered having it moved overland first to just the closest west side of FL, but then leaned mileage was not significant. Anyway for a good, professional, bonded, insured etc. service the quote was about $5,000.
Professional Capt. to assist in delivery was about half that.
Truth is coming down the intercoastal and around FL., his services weren't really necessary, but better to have and not need, right? Coming down the intercoastal for most of a week lets you "shake the boat out" while of course you are within easy reach of assistance so by the time you round the keys to head North most issues should have been found and dealt with.
Amazing thing is how few miles a day you make on the intercoastal with stopping at night etc., but how many miles a day you can make offshore running continously, and to a Newbie, just how exhausting 24 ops can be
When I was deciding to sail my vessel to Mallorca to the U,K. I did look briefly at the having it trucked option. briefly.

So then it was either French canals or sail around. I did not want to take the mast down and do 300 odd locks.

In the end we sailed the 2000 some miles around in stages and had just the best fun Ive ever had. I blew out one sail (my fault), one winch broke, a couple of older lines I replaced along with 2 blocks. I had a change of work colleagues along the route who were experienced yachtmasters so in effect I had the transport captain on every leg. (we would fly back to U.K. at set points to work some more and then fly out again).

I would highly suggest having the boat skippered and go for the ride. You will know your vessel afterwards...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:59   #17

With that size boat you really don't need to go to the keys. Cut across from Stuart to Ft. Myers through the lake. Get Boat US unlimited towing. You don't need to go into the ocean. You will be in the ICW or canel and river going across then ICW again. If something happens have them tow you to a repair facility.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:14   #18

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Purchase, then overland shipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Oh yes...those poor truckers. You've even stated how the customer cannot have the Insurance information needed. I was run around by the trucker (self employed), his insurance agent and lastly the insurance company.
FYI, the trucker told me he had a special cradle on the side of the trailer for roller furling. He chose to let it rest on the bow pulpit and merely bounce it's way to Ca. I had pictures before and after. No one wanted to see them. I told him I wanted the furler handled like his pictures showed on his website...in the cradle. And whats this crap about condition reports? Who the hell knows about this stuff? I hired a service and expected a professional job. Is this too much to ask from you poor picked on truckers?
I'm a Machinist. Can I now send a part back to my customer an inch shorter than when he gave it to me and damaged in shipping because he didn't tell me that he wanted it shipped with correct dimensions and wrapped sufficiently as not to be damaged? So I laugh when you say "Like any buisness, a transportation company is not going to pay out any claims for damage if they can avoid it. Paying even a relatively small claim can result in the company losing money on the trip". What you're telling me is you have given yourself permission to be dishonest for the sake of money...nice!
All you've done here is confirm my generalizations.
Wow. You really have no idea about this industry. I have never once said we have permission to be dishonest. What I said, and you tried to twist, is that if you want a claim for damage paid, you need to have the proper documentation to back it up. If transportation companies paid every Tom, Dick and Harry who made a spurious claim for damage they'd soon be out of business. That fact that you failed to do your due diligence is your fault, not the company's.

So, to make sure I understand you correctly, you entrusted an asset worth several thousand dollars, possibly up to several hundred thousand dollars, to a complete stranger without any record whatsoever of it's condition prior to shipping AND didn't bother to be there when it was loaded to ensure it was handled correctly. Is that accurate? Why should the company pay you for a furler that you claim they damaged, but you have no proof as to its condition prior to shipment? Does that even sound plausible?

If you really cared about your boat, why didn't you get the driver to sign something stating what condition your boat was in or something that stated the carrier assumed all liability for damages caused en route? I mean, that's just common sense.

One last note, I'd like to see you survive without trucks. Literally everything you own, from the house you live in to the clothes on your back to the food you eat got to you on a truck. We leave home for weeks or months on end, rarely see our families, and have to deal with people like you who seem to think they're better than us.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:28   #19

One quick edit: I should have said, no legal proof. Great, you've got pictures. With no record of when they were taken. And nothing from the company stating what condition your boat was in at the time of pick up.

If they really did danage your boat, morally they should compensate you. However, since you failed to properly document your boats condition abd protect yourself, they have no legal obligation to reimburse you.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:30   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Purchase, then Overland Shipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
I would talk to boatman61 if it were me.
Thanks for the Boost Daryl..
Got to tell you all.. I don't work in America though.. just take boats out to foreign ports.. E and W..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:35   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Footloose has an excellent point, since we are talking about a vessel that can transit lake Okochebee, depending on where on the two coast we are talking about it's a less than a week trip and at no point out of Boat US / Seatow range and pretty well protected waters the whole way.
No reason to truck it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:41   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Wow. You really have no idea about this industry. I have never once said we have permission to be dishonest. What I said, and you tried to twist, is that if you want a claim for damage paid, you need to have the proper documentation to back it up. If transportation companies paid every Tom, Dick and Harry who made a spurious claim for damage they'd soon be out of business. That fact that you failed to do your due diligence is your fault, not the company's.

So, to make sure I understand you correctly, you entrusted an asset worth several thousand dollars, possibly up to several hundred thousand dollars, to a complete stranger without any record whatsoever of it's condition prior to shipping AND didn't bother to be there when it was loaded to ensure it was handled correctly. Is that accurate? Why should the company pay you for a furler that you claim they damaged, but you have no proof as to its condition prior to shipment? Does that even sound plausible?

If you really cared about your boat, why didn't you get the driver to sign something stating what condition your boat was in or something that stated the carrier assumed all liability for damages caused en route? I mean, that's just common sense.

One last note, I'd like to see you survive without trucks. Literally everything you own, from the house you live in to the clothes on your back to the food you eat got to you on a truck. We leave home for weeks or months on end, rarely see our families, and have to deal with people like you who seem to think they're better than us.

Ya...you guys are real saints that we cannot live without. Maybe they should issue Teflon uniforms since nothing seems to stick to truckers. I recently sent something via UPS that was damaged in transit...guess what?...they covered it. 5 years ago same thing with USPS...guess what?...they covered it. So it really comes down who the trucking company is right? I guess you have professional shippers that stand behind their service and others who cater to Tom, Dick and Harry types who have to do all the footwork to prove damage done by an irresponsible company who is afraid of going out of business if they had to man up to their involvement of damaging goods in transit.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:50   #23

Quote:
Ya...you guys are real saints that we cannot live without. Maybe they should issue Teflon uniforms since nothing seems to stick to truckers.
So try it. I challenge you to find one single thing to buy that did NOT require a truck as some point. You'll quickly find you can't do it. Either the finished product or the raw materials required a truck to move them and get it to you.

Back to the OP, if you do decide to ship a boat, document everything. Get a detailed inspection report, WHILE THE DRIVER IS THERE, and have the driver sign off that the biat was recieved in apparent good condition except as noted. And then compare it to the boat's condition at the other end.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:42   #24

Quote:
Oh yes...those poor truckers. You've even stated how the customer cannot have the Insurance information needed. I was run around by the trucker (self employed), his insurance agent and lastly the insurance company.
Rather than make generalizations, you should be considering the possibility that it's a buyer-beware situation.

With the benefit of hindsight, what was the first clue that this might not go as planned? What would you do differently next time?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:54   #25

I've had minor damage both times I shipped a boat. Truckers just don't seem to pay attention to anything. Once a part of the mast shifted and rubbed a hole completely thru the hull. Another time the mast was damaged. Both were easily detected with just a quick inspection enroute.
OP: a 26 may be a lot easier and cheap to ship that short distance than say a 34. But I'm thinking the skipper delivery is the way to go on that route.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 17:27   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Rather than make generalizations, you should be considering the possibility that it's a buyer-beware situation.

With the benefit of hindsight, what was the first clue that this might not go as planned? What would you do differently next time?
You're absolutely correct. I have moved 4 vessels and had the experience I shared (most recent) and another with slight damage where the mast (wood) chafed on a stand handle and the dinghy cinched down so hard that it cracked it's hull.
So based on a success rate of 50%, I should do more homework. Admittedly I look for good prices with good reviews. But you know what they say..."Cheap, Fast, Quality...pick any two". So yes if the occasion does arise, I will probably get legal advice first since these last guys tried their games. Live and learn. It's not a level playing field when it comes to integrity.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 18:00   #27
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Great thread
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:37   #28

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Trucking any oversized/odd load is a roll of the dice. I live in the capitol equipment world, most of the equipment we ship is odd shaped, heavy and right on the edge of truckable, we design the machines to the limit of shipping size to cut down on assembly costs on the other end.
We document the hell out of every piece we ship, if the truck that shows up doesn't fit the bill or the driver is sketchy we send them home, we don't need to lose a $1,000,000.00 piece of equipment to a fly by night twit. There are plenty of good, professional truckers/owners who do this type of work, there are just as many nitwits too, just like any business.
Make sure it's documented well, have the trucker in the picture in front of the load to make sure he can't claim otherwise when it comes to condition. Make sure the bill of lading shows the entire contents of the boat on a packing list and its condition, have it signed off by the driver. If he isn't willing to do this send him home, he's probably not the right guy.
If your looking to ship your pride and joy just make sure your there to see it loaded and intervene if your not happy with the way it's secured, of course don't be a nitpicking twit, just let them know your aware and will be looking. Your best to make sure it's secured properly up front, trying to get a claim paid on the back side is a practice in futility, the entire system is set up to prevent the claimant from being successful, even with a person in our company who's job it is to pursue those claims it's hit or miss.
Insurance companies have entire departments tasked with fending off claims, good luck in beating that system.
Most of the work to make it a successful move is up front, check out the people who you're hiring, look up their record, interview them and don't be afraid to ask hard questions, a good boat mover will have no problem answering straight. Don't get stuck with a turkey.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:50   #29

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Well, now that this thread has scared the daylights out of me (we are moving our IP32 from Montana down to FL in the fall), I think I'll just go get some chores done and try to forget all about it.

Honestly, though, I know we should be there when they load Whimsy, but should we take pictures also?
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 13:01   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Purchase, then Overland Shipping?

If it were me, I'd follow it. I did that as a young W1 when we moved our mobile home from Alabama to Texas. I don't see why you couldn't follow a boat.

Where in Montana did you keep an IP32?

On edit, call Island Packet, they have a list of truckers they use to move boats
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, shipping