Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 06:17   #1

Boat: Timpenny 770 7.7m
Pulling apart the interior of an Beneteau Oceanis 40

I am looking at a used 2009 Beneteau Oceanis 40 which has had a fire on board from a wall mounted TV in the main salon. The boat is a USA build and there has been extensive smoke damage to the interior. Most of the main area has been cleaned and re-surfaced but the smell is still there.
There is black residue in behind cupboards in the main area and behind various hard to get to places. Is it possible to dismantle the interior of one of these boats to clean and re-seal these places? Does anyone know if Beneteau does anything like assemble the interior then put the deck on during manufacture or something else that would make the boat difficult to dismantle?
Quietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:49   #2

Re: Pulling apart the interior of an Beneteau Oceanis 40

Your dealing with a full liner built boat so there will be areas behind the liners that you will never be able to get at. Good luck on your project.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:55   #3

You might try calling one of the companies that does fire cleaning for insurance companies. They have methods of removing smoke smell in houses and it might work in a boat. Robert is correct, there are many areas in boats that are impossible to reach without major surgery. Good Luck. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:01   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Its quite tricky.

If you look at the saloon seat backs you will see a curved piece of timber that appears to be screwed in. Its not. Its glued. So it aint coming apart as far as I can see.

But you need an expert on Beneteaus to tell you properly.

I would think if the smell isn't out by now its not coming out. it will always make the boat very, very difficult to sell.

Anyway, its had a fire. even if you bought it and fixed it its still had that fire and your resale value is much lowered.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:46   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

You are talking to a pro smoke damage removal company.

My friends tried to remove the smell from a car. It did not work all that great at all.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:47   #6

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
You might try calling one of the companies that does fire cleaning for insurance companies. They have methods of removing smoke smell in houses and it might work in a boat. Robert is correct, there are many areas in boats that are impossible to reach without major surgery. Good Luck. ____Grant.
You will NEVER get the smell out. EVER. Having lived through a significant house fire, which was eventually a total loss, those "fire restoration companies" used by insurance are pretty much useless.

They may have great marketing campaigns ("Like it never happened"), but they are in bed with the insurance company (so the insurance company doesn't don't have to pay to replace your expensive belongings)and their techniques simply don't work. They're as crooked as the insurance companies. Been there.

My advice - finish burning the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Kitchen Fire.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	127287  
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:36   #7

Boat: Beneteau 50, year 2000

I have a beneteau50, and once upon time I tried to dismantle the interior of the boat, in particular, the bench seats to get excess to the air-conditioning. I consulted with the local Beneteau dealer, as Beneteau USA no longer provides technical support. And yes, the panels are screwed in, however they are also glued in, which is a none starter. Based on your pictures, the interior is quite a mess. Good luck, it will take a handy man with tremendous technical skills to repair it. Person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietta View Post
I am looking at a used 2009 Beneteau Oceanis 40 which has had a fire on board from a wall mounted TV in the main salon. The boat is a USA build and there has been extensive smoke damage to the interior. Most of the main area has been cleaned and re-surfaced but the smell is still there.
There is black residue in behind cupboards in the main area and behind various hard to get to places. Is it possible to dismantle the interior of one of these boats to clean and re-seal these places? Does anyone know if Beneteau does anything like assemble the interior then put the deck on during manufacture or something else that would make the boat difficult to dismantle?
hkolanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:29   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
You will NEVER get the smell out. EVER. Having lived through a significant house fire, which was eventually a total loss, those "fire restoration companies" used by insurance are pretty much useless.

They may have great marketing campaigns ("Like it never happened"), but they are in bed with the insurance company (so the insurance company doesn't don't have to pay to replace your expensive belongings)and their techniques simply don't work. They're as crooked as the insurance companies. Been there.

My advice - finish burning the boat.
Probably the best advice given yet.
When I saw that picture of your house I thought, total gut and re-stud, then rebuild. Still, the smoke gets into drywall around the rest of the house and the insulation in the attic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkolanski View Post
I have a beneteau50, and once upon time I tried to dismantle the interior of the boat, in particular, the bench seats to get excess to the air-conditioning. I consulted with the local Beneteau dealer, as Beneteau USA no longer provides technical support. And yes, the panels are screwed in, however they are also glued in, which is a none starter. Based on your pictures, the interior is quite a mess. Good luck, it will take a handy man with tremendous technical skills to repair it. Person
What pictures?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:05   #9

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

My questions would be...

1. What type of remodel experience, (boat or other) do you personally have?
2. What is the asking price for this boat compared to same model 2009's in overall good condition.
3. What extent was fire damage vs. just smoke damage?

Too many Beneteau's available out there in this soft market to fool with a fire damaged boat unless you have the rebuild experience and the price is just above give away. If the fire was turned in for insurance purposes, there will be a permanent record on the books dogging that vessel for ever. Like buying a car with a salvage title.

Good luck.
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 13:08   #10

Much wiser to pay a little extra and get another boat in good condition. you might probably end up paying more to restore this. i would speak to a fibreglass expert about whether exposure to high temperature destabilises the resin. The fire might have affected the rigidity of the construction and this might only show up in gale force conditions.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 13:46   #11

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

There are aerosol cans with something in them that allegedly eliminates smoke smell. I have not used these but they are inexpensive and worth a try. One thought is to drill small openings behind cabinetry to spay the stuff. Might work. I think I saw these at a Home Depot or similar. good luck.
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 14:52   #12

I've seen the factory and build. The interiors were made in France, shipped in crates, reassembled in Mrytle Beach, dropped into an open half shell boat. The electrical, plumbing, and joinery added before they drop the top half on glued, screwed and clamped. all done on an assembly line. You will never get the boat disassembled to your satisfaction without compromising the vessel's rigidity! Move on!
Ktyhwkpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 16:31   #13

Boat: Rival Sailing Yacht 34ft

I am in the process of completely refitting the interior of a Rival 34 which had progressive damage from water ingress through most of the port lights effecting the most of the wood work and the main ford mid and aft bulkhead.This was a boat built by humans and not like modern production methods via CAD. Nevertheless it has been a major labour of love all bulkheads and furniture which was originally mahogany had to be cut out intact if possible, and copied.Masses of photographs and copious notes, measurements and diagrams have enable me to replace nearly all the original furniture with some changes for personal preference and for improvement. New engine and all new electrics will complete the process. I may add that having a son who runs a bespoke wood manufacturing company dealing in high end furniture and bespoke refitting of hotels and top end clients has helped. The use of C&C machines and veneering machines does help.
Total cost, don t ask, but I will have saved a classic yacht from the scrap yard and will have a boat that I can trust in all weathers. Plus what is an old man to do in his twilight years to give him a reason to keep going!!
Terry107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 16:52   #14

Terry107... I truly applaud your passion and look forward to your posting the photos of your labor of LOVE.
Ktyhwkpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:59   #15

Boat: Timpenny 770 7.7m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktyhwkpete View Post
I've seen the factory and build. The interiors were made in France, shipped in crates, reassembled in Mrytle Beach, dropped into an open half shell boat. The electrical, plumbing, and joinery added before they drop the top half on glued, screwed and clamped. all done on an assembly line. You will never get the boat disassembled to your satisfaction without compromising the vessel's rigidity! Move on!

Thanks for the advice Ktyhakpete, I am in Australia and this boat is currently $75K cheaper than the nearest equivalent boat. As my wife has pointed out to me, rather than buy this boat and spent 2 months cleaning it trying to get rid of the smell (which will probably never achieve a smell free boat). Fly to BVI and buy a boat from there and sail it back to Australia, pay the GST + duty - it will still be cheaper.

Thanks for everyone's response on this one.
Quietta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, interior, oceanis