Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2011, 06:09   #1

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Protection from Pirates: The Almost-Perfect Solution

I now have a great solution from protection from pirates and its not a gun.
I read the article below from Noonsite about the guy fighting off the pirates with a 14" flashlight. Well they left the boat with the money and the guy got quite the beating. IT DID NOT HAVE TO HAPPEN THAT WAY. If he would have had BEAR SPRAY on his boat what I carry with me every where (including my gun) things would have been very different. THE ANSWER: Bear spray. Carry a minimum 2 cans or better 3. You have to defend your love ones because you do not know what they are going to do with you after they take all the radios and the money. (rape your wife?, tie you to an anchor, cut your throat or just shake your hand and say thank you (not).) You can beat the bad guys with a surprise they will never forget just like a 400 lb. Grizzly and you can be a 110 lb weakling. If you are smart BUY THE STUFF TODAY. You can travel with it in you suitcase (airlines)
DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT. Around $40.00 per can.

HowStuffWorks "Bear Pepper Spray"

I usually carry a gun for protection, not only in Panama but on my boat too.
But on a recent sailing trip I was arrested and charged with 2 felonies in Mexico. I did what I always do, declared the 45 glock and bullets. Well I was charged anyway. 7 days later and $4000 in lawyers fees and 7 days in the prison (no separation for Americans) I was released minus gun, passport, boat registration and gun permit (the court lost my papers everything). I was released because the judge ruled that Adwana (customs) made a mistake. Huge article in the Cancun paper spelled out that they made a mistake

If I would have had the bear spray it would have been different. I would have sprayed the Mexican officials and left the country immediately jajaja

DON'T BE CHEAP and buy the little mace shooters that women carry in their purse, buy the big cans that can shoot 30 ft. Buy 2 or 3. A great investment for your safety.

Noonsite: St. Vincent & the Grenadines: Tobago Cays - Armed Robbery - Updated Detailed Report
Old 17-07-2011, 06:30   #2

Re: PROTECTION FROM PIRATES: The almost perfect solution

I am talking about the Caribbean not the Gulf of Aden where they are fully armed. Dont fight em Spray em.
Old 17-07-2011, 07:20   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

yup !!!
Old 17-07-2011, 07:40   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Yup, I said the same thing in another post. Yellowstone is partially in my county so I never go in the woods without it. For those who doubt it's stopping power just spray a little on a plate, now dip your finger in it and wipe in eye. Let me know how that worked out. BOB
Old 17-07-2011, 07:42   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

The bad news is that pepper spray and Mace are illegal here in Nevis (and probably most other eastern Caribbean countries).

The good news is that nowhere on the Customs forms do they ask if you have it on your boat.

We carried a can of Mace, a machete and a small baseball bat on our boat. No guns. The machete was for opening coconuts, the baseball bat was for subduing the big fish we caught. I don't know what the Mace was for. In seven years here in the Lesser Antilles, we've experienced only friendliness and kindness, never even a hint of a threat.
Old 17-07-2011, 07:49   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i LOVE my louisville slugger--melon squasher-- piratical deterant. worked in ensenada....i also have many gaffs and sprays of chemical origin-- carb cleaner, brake cleaner, lubes and penetrants--i think some of those might just keep some strays off boat.......
Old 17-07-2011, 07:50   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Cold Steel, the blade manufacturer, makes a great spray.

Pepper Spray : Inferno by Cold Steel
Old 17-07-2011, 07:52   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Shhhhh...please do not tell the pirates about face masks. Let's keep it our little secret.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 17-07-2011, 07:53   #9

ROFLMAO.....
Old 17-07-2011, 08:03   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Don't simply assume that bear spray will be unregulated, in every jurisdiction you visit.

In Canada, bear spray (oleoresin capsicum) is legal to sell and carry, but it is illegal to use for any purpose other than defending yourself from animal attack.

Legally, pepper spray is considered a prohibited weapon in Canada. The Criminal Code says that a prohibited weapon is "any device designed to be used for the purpose of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person" and specifically refers to such products as "tear gas, Mace, other gas, and any liquid, spray, powder or other substance that is capable of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person."

Proposed regulations were drafted and published in the Canada Gazette in 1998 to clarify the legal status of pepper spray. They stated clearly that it would be illegal to sell pepper spray for use against people, but when marketed strictly as a wild animal repellent, the sale would be allowed. The regulations may not have yet been adopted, which adds to the confusion over the legal status of the substance.

Old 17-07-2011, 08:10   #11

so, gord, does that render my carb cleaner unlawful? just curious......
Old 17-07-2011, 08:13   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Don't simply assume that bear spray will be unregulated, in every jurisdiction you visit.

In Canada, bear spray (oleoresin capsicum) is legal to sell and carry, but it is illegal to use for any purpose other than defending yourself from animal attack.

Legally, pepper spray is considered a prohibited weapon in Canada. The Criminal Code says that a prohibited weapon is "any device designed to be used for the purpose of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person" and specifically refers to such products as "tear gas, Mace, other gas, and any liquid, spray, powder or other substance that is capable of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person."

Proposed regulations were drafted and published in the Canada Gazette in 1998 to clarify the legal status of pepper spray. They stated clearly that it would be illegal to sell pepper spray for use against people, but when marketed strictly as a wild animal repellent, the sale would be allowed. The regulations may not have yet been adopted, which adds to the confusion over the legal status of the substance.
The thing is, piracy in Canada is not a problem.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 17-07-2011, 08:18   #13

are pirates not animals?? aint humans......
Old 17-07-2011, 08:36   #14

Take the label off your Carb cleaner and wrap the bear spray with it. A physical fight against a guy with a knife is something I don't want or need.

You really get the upper hand with the spray and being to use it from 20 ft. (depends on the wind be careful) gives you a tremendous advantage. Buy the holster with it and surprise the mofos. Quick draw.
Old 17-07-2011, 08:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The thing is, piracy in Canada is not a problem.
No pirates in Canada so don't worry about that. USE only in the Caribbean.

I am sure there are very few laws against defending yourself in the Caribbean.