Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2011, 19:09   #31
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Protection from Pirates: The Almost Perfect Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
A billionaire with political persuasion could recondition the U.S.S. battleship Iowa, and then have it patrol pirate waters. Once that problem is solved, donate it to the U.S. city of choice.

How is that relaited to crime in the Caribbean?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 18-07-2011, 19:18   #32

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
How is that relaited to crime in the Caribbean?
Like, maybe, Pirates blown out of the water, or scared to death they would be. Last I heard, piracy was piracy regardless of the sea, ocean, whatever, it occurred.
Old 18-07-2011, 19:21   #33

Boat: Tartan 40
I was just brainstorming. How about engine starting fluid (ether I think) and a lighter. i used to make one heck of a flame thrower with that when I was a kid. Just try not to scorch the boat....
Old 19-07-2011, 03:27   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Protection from Pirates: The Almost-Perfect Solution

What about a very loud pyrotechnic devise like a stun grenade attached to a arm right over the cockpit rigged to a pulltype or push button device then a flash bang grenade and a recorded message that screams the police are coming you had better leave now... *******,scumbag/looser,DVC
Old 19-07-2011, 04:27   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

To me spraying stuff at pirates is crazy. A pirate is going to have a real weapon and probably in a group.

Now a general thief boarding the boat is a different story.
Old 19-07-2011, 05:00   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

I like these threads

IMO one is only limited by imagination. A squillion options - just got to remember that there will always be scenarios where you are outgunned (in weapons / people) and having a fallback Plan B, and C is no bad thing.

The only requirement is to pre-plan / organise (no point having a really cunning idea - if you can't lay hands on the equipment when needed). and being prepared to use - to the conclusion (whatever that may be)......as me (late) Missus once advised "Stab one time no good - they angry you". But she was practical like that

I would favour a bayonet (or a Kitchen Knife) on the end of an (extendable) boat hook - run the f#ckers through and a Machete. and an axe. and maybe a big can of WD40 - I recall from my childhood that makes a damned good flamethrower , ain't nobody likes being set on fire so cuts accross a few cross-cultural barriers / avoids any lost in translation moments - remember that you have the fire extinguisher no need to waste it on univited guests just dampen the flames using the axe.......

....If I ever leave the dock on an extended voyage one of my first new Threads will be "Where is the BEST place to attract Pirates / theives onboard?"
Old 19-07-2011, 05:11   #37
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Now a general thief boarding the boat is a different story.
Which is basically what the 2 crims who robbed the cruiser in Tobago Keys were. And thats what the Original Post is about.

The reality in the Caribbean, which is what the Original Post is about, is not piracy but isolated bunches of criminals intent on general thievery. Its general security precautions that needs to be discussed, not warships and StarWars to fight off a couple of errant locals.

Locking the door is needed, not an RPG7.

My question: Why don't cruisers lock their doors at night?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 19-07-2011, 06:28   #38

Re: PROTECTION FROM PIRATES: The almost perfect solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
so, gord, does that render my carb cleaner unlawful? just curious......
Hold a lighter beneath the nozzle and you have a blow torch.
Old 19-07-2011, 08:51   #39

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

For opportunistic criminals, almost any powerful jet of stinging / burning spray will give you time to administer some attitude adjustment with a baseball bat before relieving them of any possessions they might have and tossing them and their outboard into the drink.

BUT, before tossing them over the side, be absolutely certain that their attitude's have been adjusted sufficiently to encourage them to look for more respectable forms of employment.

That might mean a few more dents and a bit more gore on your baseball bat but what the heck, it's worth it to rid the world of some pond life.

Pirates are a different matter entirely, unless you have a company of marines on board, or have the ability to call in a precision air strike, you're pretty much screwed, blued, and probably tattooed......James
Old 19-07-2011, 08:57   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i dont lock my doors at night because i dont have MarkJ's door screen. need a few.....and every situation has sounded slightly different --and as such prolly requires a different clear head thinking and individual early warning protection for assistance. ye think???
i know i am gonna find a back up baseball bat...mine is cracking some....
Old 19-07-2011, 09:57   #41

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I can see using Marks' hatch screen. I can also imagine standing off to the side in my galley with my meat cleaver and whacking off the fingers that try to grab it and lift it.

Otherwise I intend to mount this on the mast compression post as a memento of my boats name.

Meh, ok, so its a cutlass and not a sabre. Sabres are too damn long in confined spaces. This little jewel will split a coconut, whack a fish head off in one cut, and help the local butcher carve up a side o beef.

As for spray of any kind, I'm dubious especially if they are armed with firearms. Natural reaction may be to squeeze the trigger. If not his buddy may. It may work against a single guy but if theres more than one, it'd be risky. A boat full of Somalis and this would be a really bad idea.
Old 19-07-2011, 10:18   #42

Quote:
Someone mentioned what may be legal and what maybe illegal in different countries. Some sprays may well be illegal However they are at the lowest end of the Illegal items and the Police/Customs would just confiscate them not bust you.
Don't count on it. In many jurisdictions a can of pepper spray is just as illegal as a gun, and will get you into just as much trouble.

Brake cleaner or carb cleaner sounds like a good idea. Ordinary household ammonia works pretty well, too.

You're absolutely right, Mark, about locking things up and lighting things up. Make it uninviting to them in the first place and you'll never have to worry about what kind of spray to use!
Old 19-07-2011, 10:58   #43
CLOD

Quote:
My question: Why don't cruisers lock their doors at night?
Because we fell safe till it is proven we are wrong!

I didn't used to door my house at night because we lived in a semi-remote development and thought it was safe. Then one night when I was out of town my wife woke to find someone standing in the middle of the bedroom doorway. They ran away when she shouted, but afterwards going though the house we could tell they had been in it a while.

Now we lock the door at night!
Old 19-07-2011, 11:01   #44
CLOD

How about a locked passageway, and a motion sensor wired to a recording of a BIG dog barking!

This should be enough to get a low life general thief to move on to another boat.
Old 19-07-2011, 11:26   #45

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

I doubt that my life will be long enough to visit all the wonderful and safe places in the world, even for just 1 night each. As for the well documented dodgy places where I have to be prepared to fight with knives and bear spray to defend myself and crew, I'll visit them after I finished with all the nice places. If I get robbed and bashed with this plan, it will at least be in pleasant surrroundings.

Greg
Closed Thread