Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2011, 08:43   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: PROTECTION FROM PIRATES: The almost perfect solution

I’m not arguing for or against bear spray, just pointing out that it’s legality may not be a simple as some assume, and a little research might be in order.

Pepper spray is considered a weapon, or restricted/regulated item, by most civilized countries, and is restricted to some extent in nearly all of them.

Excerpted from Wikipedia
Pepper spray - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“... In Hong Kong, pepper spray is classified as "arms" under the "Laws of Hong Kong". Chap 238 Firearms and Ammunition Ordinance. Without a valid license from the Hong Kong Police Force, it is a crime to possess and can result in a fine of $100,000 and to imprisonment for 14 years.

In India pepper spray is legal and does not require any licence; however they are not sold over the counter and may only be used in self-defence.

In Iran the use of pepper spray is forbidden and is only used by police forces.

In Iraq OC spray is carried by U.S. military guard force members working in detainee operations.

In The Philippines the use of pepper spray for self defence is legal, and it is freely available in stores.

In South Korea Pepper spray containing OC is legal; however, gas-gun types need a simple licence to own. CS is only available for police and private security firms

In Belgium it is classified as a prohibited weapon, and it is illegal for anyone other than police officers to carry a capsicum spray ...

In Denmark possession of pepper spray is illegal for private citizens.

In Finland it is classified as a device governed by the firearm act and possession of pepper spray requires a licence ...” & etc.

Old 17-07-2011, 09:48   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

This stuff will squirt 20', burns skin and eyes, and will gas you out of a closed space.... Degreases pretty good too!
Old 17-07-2011, 09:59   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

love that braklean.... carb spray is good also. and PB BLASTER....inda eyes..and foller that up with a louisville slugger with a gaff----HOME RUN!!!!!
Old 17-07-2011, 11:47   #19

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
are pirates not animals?? aint humans......
'Zactly. Wild animals if they're methheads.

Ayn Rand
Old 17-07-2011, 11:55   #20

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames

I GUARANTEE YOU when the guy wipes the brake clean out of his guy, you will find a knife in the gut. Why fool around with rest when you can have the best.... BEAR SPRAY

Why not just use WD-40 to save money. GO WITH THE BEST AND THE GUY IS GUARANTEED TO JUMP OFF THE BOAT INTO THE WATER. When he surfaces hit em with a baseball bat. As for his 2 friend. 2 CANS ARE A MUST NOT JUST ONE
Old 17-07-2011, 11:57   #21

always carry spares and i need a second louisville slugger..... with or without gaff...
Old 17-07-2011, 12:25   #22

Location: Southern California...s/v Feral Cat Catalina 38' S&S design
Boat: Catalina 38' S&S design

Just soak em with the cleaners... Then torch the whole stream of fluid and the intended target... If they are on a boat then keep spraying and light off the whole pirate transportation and everyone with them...

A Hawaiian sling is also a great 6' distance weapon... Especially in the hands of a 220# male who knows how to use it...

Of course, the fish billy works great in close range with a knife in the other hand of course...

Yah, thats it... Streams of fire, hawaiian sling, fish billy and knifes... Sounds like I will be well received in the other peaceful countries... Good thing I am well prepared...
Old 17-07-2011, 12:27   #23

where is the like/dislike button????? i think we could use one here-- ye think????
love the fire idea..... works forme unless heis under my mizzen or somewhere close to my sails....
Old 17-07-2011, 12:36   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I like the bear spray idea and the label sugg. sounds good also..Im going to try it.thanks for the ideas ya'll DVC
Old 18-07-2011, 09:12   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Protection from Pirates: The Almost Perfect Solution

I wanted to have a close look at the Tobago Keys robbery because it was close to us in Grenada and the rumors were flowing full and fast - and totally silly.
The rumors were:

Its never happened there before so the cruisers must have 'asked' for it by insulting some locals. (what? Not buying a Lettuce from a Boat Boy?)

Venezuelan fishing boats going north to catch more than fish.

Needless to say it was neither, just honest to goodness criminal activity by idiots that could happen anywhere, any time from which we should all be secure.

Quote:
only four boats remained in the anchorage that night.
Night came on very dark with no moon.
" 10 p.m., Allen, heard a slow-running outboard, so he went on deck with a big flashlight and shined it about. He caught a glimpse of a small boat motoring away.

About 10 minutes later, there was a sound at the bow, and Allen, , went on deck to see two men wearing masks board the bow of our boat. One raced down the deck toward Allen, with something in his hand.

"Allen rushed below and grabbed the first heavy object he found, which was the 4 D-cell flashlight, which is about 14 inches long. . Allen started back up the companion stairs, which were now blocked by one of the boarders. Allen repeatedly struck the man with the flashlight

"The man attacking Allen got a hold of the flashlight

"When they left, we locked up our boat before we went to bed. We hadn't done that in years.
Everybody locks their house at night even when we are sitting in the lounge reading. Why do boats think they are immune?

Few boats in an anchorage means an opportunity for a criminal. Its like a house set aside from the others, surrounded by trees and set back from the road etc.

No moon is a criminal opportunity.

He heard and saw a boat go past slowly but did not lock up.

When he heard movement on deck he did not lock up.

When he saw people on deck he did not lock up.

He armed himself with an object that needs a height advantage to work. You can't beat someone over the head when they are above you.

OK now lets look at the crooks: They did NOT try to get down one of the forward hatches. For a criminal its dangerous to put your feet first down a dark hole where you can't see whats below. I think criminals would not usually ever go down a hatch.

The saloon lights would have been on so they could see down.

Even non sailors know the door is down the back somewhere.

Going down into a lighted area they can see and have a height advantage.

What would have made it more difficult for the criminals:
A strong light in the cockpit (it could be the anchor light positioned there.). That keeps them in the light and visible to all including other boats.
Turn the saloon lights out. They have to step down into darkness.

Spray Fly Spray, or any other spray as discussed, upwards out of the saloon. It will go downwind and thats where the criminals are, downwind. Spraying allows you to be out of reach of the person, wheras bashing them means you must get close enough for them to take it from you and use it on you.

All one must do is make the criminals think that their quarry is a bit more difficult than they expected. Change their minds.

Now lets turn to locking up.
It is hot in the tropics and we need blow through ventilation to survive! So everyone has a strong desire to keep the companionway hatch open.
OK, but there must be a secure system instantly available. Not the washboards in the aft lazarette!

My solution shown below is only one solution. Use creativity to arrange some easy to put on, breeze permeable, device you can make up. How about a net made of 4mm double braid that clips to the companionway hand-holds?
Not high security but adequate when having your face full of fly spray, VHF radios sending Maydays and flares zooming past the ears.

Someone mentioned what may be legal and what maybe illegal in different countries. Some sprays may well be illegal However they are at the lowest end of the Illegal items and the Police/Customs would just confiscate them not bust you.

If in St Martin there is a useful shop:
SXM Defense
No 9 Le Village Arcade,
15 Rue de General De Gaulle

It sells 2 types of spray very effective for boaters. One is gas that squirts like a spray and the other is a Gell. The gell is good for into the wind applications and spray for downwind.
Both are non-toxic and have no residual effect on the target.

As I mentioned before, I think any spray will do! Cologne in the eyes is nasty stuff! We all have insect repellant, Spray & Wipe, air freshener; and when all that runs out, a squeeze bottle of Ketchup.

If all that fails throw your wallet out to them making it land behind them in the cockpit.

We may be able to cruise safely for 20 years. But then we may be able to leave our house door unlocked for 20 years too. However we always lock up at home at night. We should be able to do so on a boat.

I'd appreciate your comments on my ideas

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 18-07-2011, 14:25   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Good ideas I think, I like the grate over the hatch and the boat atom has a good one also..type the voyages of atom and look at his design and what about bright powerful lights and sirens or punge sticks and bear traps or snares rigged from the mast with barbed wire ....sorry I got carried away ..i pity the poor fool that trys to rob me....now I sound like mr. T...got carried away again....damn theives
Old 18-07-2011, 14:36   #27

This was posted in a link sent to me through linkedin.

Quote:
There has also been an upsurge in the use of heavier weaponry being used in attacks, with automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades (RPG) more commonly used, with guns used in 160 attacks and knives in 35. According to the IMB this seems to mark a gradual escalation bought about by greater success at countering pirate attacks due to measures to improve ship security and the actions of international naval forces disrupting pirate groups off the east coast of Africa.
Safety4Sea | Pirate Attacks on Freight Shipping and Tankers Become More Aggressive
Old 18-07-2011, 15:04   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

I'd appreciate your comments on my ideas
That is a GREAT idea. (note to self...make one.... right after getting a boat)

While bear spray can have many uses- including ridding your vessel of rats in a humanitarian manner, simple Clorox will also work. When traveling with a lady what customs official will argue with her that she can't have cleaner to keep the boat up???

The issue is how to deliver the bleach from a distance.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 18-07-2011, 18:34   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
The issue is how to deliver the bleach from a distance.

Bill
A plastic spray bottle.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 18-07-2011, 18:54   #30

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

A billionaire with political persuasion could recondition the U.S.S. battleship Iowa, and then have it patrol pirate waters. Once that problem is solved, donate it to the U.S. city of choice.

I like the lines of the Iowa's bow: