Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2017, 17:05   #1

Boat: 26' O Day 1985
Pros and Cons of Beneteau 390 please.

I am interested in and going to take a look at a 1989 Beneteau 390. I have found hardly any information about this model. I was hoping that perhaps some knowledgeable individuals out there could share some of their thoughts and observations. I did read in another forum one comment that stated:

"I had read that the only boat design that Beneteau built that posed a problem was the Oceanis 390. I seem to remember the problem was the hull weight and keel when the boat could not right itself in knockdown."

The above came from the Sailnet site. True, False? Could anyone elaborate and enlighten me? Your knowledge and expertise would be deeply appreciated.
I do NOT intend to do Bluewater ocean sailing. The sailboat will be used for Coastal Cruising with overnight stays on weekends on the hook. I would like some margin of safety for bad seas that might be encountered. Input from other Beneteau 390 owners out there would be appreciated. Thanks. - Sam
Old 26-02-2017, 06:42   #2

Boat: Nautor's Swan 431
Re: Pros and Cons of Beneteau 390 please.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...cean_Madam.pdf
ihe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 07:41   #3

I think the boat would make a fine coastal cruiser. From reading the report which in typical British fashion was highly detailed this design and similar designs that rely on beam rather than keel weight for ultimate stability it is obviously not a good choice to be crossing oceans in but again for your purpose should be just fine.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 07:49   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

That Beneteau wasn't the first and won't be the last to run into problems crossing the continental shelf in Biscay and October is late in the season. To do so with a storm warning, well......

Compare that with Markj who sailed around the world in a Beneteau 393 and is still out there doing it. However, his mantra is worth quoting:

Don't sail oceans out of season
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 15:29   #5

Hat's off to Ocean Madam, as she survived. Sorry for digging up old threads, just researching production builders....
timc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 16:22   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Glad this popped up. Maybe somebody will find this.

The 350, 370, 390 and 430 are like designs. The 432 is the charter model of the 430 which makes the engine more accessible at the cost of interior space, has an above deck windlass, and IIRC eliminates the forward chute hatch.

I would love a 430. Fast, gorgeous, some with a forward center bed.

Now, here are my findings on the 430 model which I presume apply to the whole series:

* those big overhead windows leak and are a bear to rebed. If you break one you are SOL because there are no replacements

* the rudder is poorly supported. In a number of cases it broke. There is a YouTube video of a 430 that lost the rudder this way and was abandoned. The repair / upgrade isn’t hard or expensive- so do it.

* many have saturated decks and ruined interior wood due to poor factory bedding and lack of maintenance.

There is a local 350 that has a large RIB on davits; I would think it would push down the aft, but it does not.

In all, you will have to rebed all deck hardware. And probably replace or fill voids in the deck. Fix the rudder problem. Negotiations are in order if the windows leak and you can prove it.

The Jeanneau 11.2 and 12.5 are similar boats that may be a better design, but aren’t as sexy.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 01:24   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Glad this popped up. Maybe somebody will find this.

The 350, 370, 390 and 430 are like designs. The 432 is the charter model of the 430 which makes the engine more accessible at the cost of interior space, has an above deck windlass, and IIRC eliminates the forward chute hatch.

I would love a 430. Fast, gorgeous, some with a forward center bed.

Now, here are my findings on the 430 model which I presume apply to the whole series:

* those big overhead windows leak and are a bear to re-bed. If you break one you are SOL because there are no replacements

* the rudder is poorly supported. In a number of cases it broke. There is a YouTube video of a 430 that lost the rudder this way and was abandoned. The repair/upgrade isn’t hard or expensive- so do it.

* many have saturated decks and ruined interior wood due to poor factory bedding and lack of maintenance.

There is a local 350 that has a large RIB on davits; I would think it would push down the aft, but it does not.

In all, you will have to re-bed all deck hardware. And probably replace or fill voids in the deck. Fix the rudder problem. Negotiations are in order if the windows leak and you can prove it.

The Jeanneau 11.2 and 12.5 are similar boats that may be a better design but aren’t as sexy.
As an Oceanis 430 owner (biased of course) would like to respond to your comments:

1) Windows can indeed be a problem, getting them remade will cost you 5k. Replacements are not available.

2) Could you please give me more information on this? As i think the rudder post looks very sturdy? I was looking for the video but can't find it, only a video of a 2007 Oceanis with rudder failure. I would really like to know the fix too.

3) Agree on this, we had to replace our main bulkhead as the keel-stepped mast (as all do) leaks water into the bilge. The bulkhead is bedded placed in a groove and then tabbed in, as soon as water gets in this groove the whole bulkhead gets saturated as the water cant get out. We have rebedded most hardware the past year and have found no signs of water intrusion there except for the deck fills. We rebbeded as a preventive measure.

Some additional comments regarding the 430:

We have done an extensive refit the past few years as is to be expected with a boat that is almost 30 years old. Be on the lookout for:

- Osmosis
- Rudder bearing play (easy fix)
- Through hulls need replacing
- Old electricals (not tinned)
- Leaking water tanks in front (at the seam of the top of the tanks)
- Rusty keel bolts (easy fix)
- No spare parts available for most of the Goiot hardware.
- No spare parts available for the Lewmar self-tailing winches

And of course maintenance that comes with every boat that is 20+ years old.

We do love our Oceanis 430 and think she is a beautiful monohull. We have sailed her in rough weather and will cross the Atlantic this winter.
A lot of people we meet always think it's way newer than she actually is (design-wise also).
Tjurd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, lease