Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 12:32   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
Production Boats . . or Not ?

We hope to be purchasing our boat towards the end of the year, budget of around $100,000 for a 40-45 footer, the plan is to travel from Europe to the Carribean and explore for a few years, I have had various recomendations regarding what boat to get, some have scoffed a production boat and suggested something solid from the mid 80s is the way to go...others suggest a Moody, Baviara, etc not more than 10 years old! Thoughts and reasons? Many thanks, Best Pablo

PS....got a full week in the classroom in Gibraltar next week as doing my Theory, Navigation, etc....anyone on the rock feel free to PM me as guess we will have a pint after school !
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:38   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Production Boats...or Not?

i am happy with my formosa--- try to sail everything you can find then make up your mind--only you will know what you like to sail and how you like your boat to move and respond...very personal thing......sail EVERYTHING!!!!! then let passion direct you to what you like best. goood luck and fair winds!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Thank you Zeehag, just noticed I made a mistake on our budget, it would be $120,000 approx, any thoughts on what we could be looking at? Also, are there any important differences away from the obvious in a 40 and a 44ft boat?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:50   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

40 and 44 ft are same sized, essentially-- except for the larger amunt of room inside..... i bought my formosa for 10kand sunk 5 k more into her--- lol was told more mney is needed..LOL.. but i showed 'em!!!! dont need to find pricy boats -- some are good with low prices--is a very soft market and goood for buyers--just look at the yacht dealers and sniff out the deals outside the brokers.....they NEED their commission so arent really on your side. i found my formosa abandoned next door to my ericson, on a mooring. i love this boat!.. sail everything you can find to sail... i like heavy displacement-- many like performance cruising..i tried that-- i like the heavy displacement better. i prefer solid hulls to cored, as cored CAN become holed and ruin the core..... mine will never do that.( hasnt core.>LOL) back in da day-- 1970s, fiberglass was laid up thickand by hand. gelcoat was painted into hull mold first, then many layers of hand laid glass and resin followed-- very thick and solid hulls. those ar e my preference. many choose light and flexible and speedy. i like comfort over speed--is all personal..i like the lines of my formosa-- others like the lines of their performance cruisers--is all totally personal preference. have fun looking--is the fun part of boat ownership!!!!
each marque has different things to look out for-- always take a digital camera with ye to look into the deepest and darkest hidey holes on board the boat you are looking at--if there is a question as to what you are looking at, post the pix--someone ill answer you-- prolly more than ye wanna hear ..LOL...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 14:35   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Buying and outfitting a 40-44' boat for $120k is going to be tough unless you get an older boat, 60's thru 80's. VAT will make even the 80's problematic.

I can't offer you any suggestions for boats in Europe except maybe some older Amel's or Albins.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 14:54   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Buying and outfitting a 40-44' boat for $120k is going to be tough unless you get an older boat, 60's thru 80's. VAT will make even the 80's problematic.

I can't offer you any suggestions for boats in Europe except maybe some older Amel's or Albins.
I have researched quite carefuly, $120,000 is plenty to get a nice 40ft and have money over to outfit, the market is really as bad as its been, its a terrible time to sell a boat, yet there has never been a better time to buy.....there are plenty of 10 year old Moodys, Bavas,Jenos, benis, etc...for 70,000 pounds or less, if I had the cash I would buy now, we have had an offer on a property and are still in talks!!
Old 04-05-2011, 14:59   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Production Boats...or Not?

This may suit you rather nicely Pablo... not far for a look either...
Bluewater Algarve (Lagos, Portugal)&

Or you might stretch to this if you can knock him down 15K....
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 15:18   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Hola Boatman, great to hear from you, funny enough I played you a song on the show last week for some reason!! I like the look of both boats, dont know much about the composite Hull?? The Bene is nice, not sure what I think about the big open helm area? I do plan a trip to Portugal to that Marina as have seen a lot of boats on line from there, the Bene is only 5 years old, I know its a tough question but what might u expect to spend getting a boat like that ready for a 2 year journey? Yes, I know it depends on what it has on board, but surely a 5 year boat should be in pretty good nick?
Old 04-05-2011, 15:24   #9

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Production Boats . . or Not ?

Production boats have advantages and disadvantages, just like any other boats. Provided you are aware of these, and use your boat according to it's strengths and weaknesses, there is no reason why you shouldn't buy a production boat for anything from coastal / inshore cruising to blue-water passage making.

It is, I think, important to not lump all production boats in together. Not all brands are of the same quality, and within a single brand, not all models are equally good.

Plenty of people have circumnavigated quite happily in ordinary run-of-the-mill production boats such as Beneteaus. Exercise due diligence in the purchase process and you ought to be able to get a lot of "bang for your buck".
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 15:57   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

I just noticed that the draft is 2.22 metres on that 1st boat, kindda got me thinking a bit, we hope to drop anchor a lot once we get going, ive just looked on the live stream of the bay in Marathon FL, most boats at anchor there seem to be under 38ft fr what I can guess! If you plan to visit the Keys, Bahamas, etc is it important to consider the draft of the boat you plan to buy? I had not thought of it realy untill now......I am now drifting a bit and maybe should be in another thread with the last question !
Old 04-05-2011, 16:29   #12
Marine Service Provider

Bloody hell boatman, was just getting ready to go to bed and now you have me looking at boats, thats me for the next 2 hours now....
Old 04-05-2011, 16:39   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Production Boats . . or Not ?

Oppss.... Sorry mate... its OK I've binned the other 13 I found...
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 17:27   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

Instead of getting a boat others like, I would suggest you look at boats you like. Get one you like and sail it within your comfort zone, which is going to be more limiting than the boat.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote