Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2016, 15:33   #1

Problems specific to Cal boats

I'm looking at getting a Cal-28, and while I have a cal-20 right now, I never acctually wondered about the hull and what issues if any they have such as blistering and what not. I know what to look for in the decks and stuff, but are Cal's known for blisters or anything?
Chinook92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 15:00   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Problems specific to Cal boats

Boats built in the mid '70s and some built with fire retardant resin were the boats that primarily had serious problems with blisters. Cals weren't noted, anymore than any other boats of that era, for having blisters. Some Cals had a steel support structure for the mast step that are prone to corrosion and complicated to repair. Check at the base of the mast to see if the 28 was one of those.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 18:55   #3

Boat: CAL 34 III

Hi, I'm new to this forum and sorry to use a translator. The reason for participating in this forum is because my boat one Cal 34 III suffered damage to stop for a reef. and rudder damage, then I want to know if this rudder can remove the boat afloat while, (no way to get him to land here) Now, if positive response, you can tell me the steps to remove rudder? Are there any hidden pin or catch?. Some detail important consideration when mounting it again? Pls. Another suggestion you can give me. Best Regards
gregorylugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:16   #4

Boat: Cal 33-2

Which Cal 28? The original from the 60s or the newer Cal 28-2 from the 80s. Very different boats from two different eras. I have the bigger brother to the 28-2 and the Cals from the 80s were well built boats. Some of the early Cals had steel beams to support the mast and many have rusted and need replacement. Not sure if the 28 is one of the those.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:21   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

I think on a Cal-28 model history is very minor compared to the condition the boat in in NOW. If it doesn't have blisters or some build related issue by now it isn't going to.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:49   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

So the steel beams were a feature of many but not all Lapworth designed Cals. They may or may not be present on the later models designe by others but I'm not really sure.

The beams seem to all be buried in the transverse hump in the cabin pan. To tell if you have on look along the top of the pump to see if any metal tabs stick up out of the hump and are thru bolted to the transverse bulkhead that sits on the hump.

The beams are generally a good idea because they do a WONDERFUL job of resolving shroud forces into the hull without adverse flexing you can see on other boats.

Because of the proportionately much high cost of stainless in the 1960s & '70s I assume that is why they were originally built using mild steel. Problems arise if previous owners have not kept the boat dry enough especially in a saltwater environment. If you determine the boat you are interested in has a steel beam then it should be investigated for corrosion. If nothing else you can buy your own Milwauki borescope at Home Depot for about $200.

I have a friend with a Cal40 and a PO installed screw-in inspection ports to check the beam and keep tabs on it over time.

This page, Wilkie's Sailboat Page, follows one owner replacing their beam.

Links on this page, Cal Sailboats, show beams for several models of Cal.

I would not let the beam dissuade you from getting a Cal they are wonderful. I just bought a Cal20 and hope to have it in the water shortly.

With the moniker Chinook92 I assume the OP is in the PNW. Is that correct?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:17   #7

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

I had a 1974 Cal 29. It had a few blisters that I ground out, filled, faired. I then barrier coated the bottom with the West System. Never had any more blisters. The coach roof was built with a plywood core and there was some delamination. I kept the boat for 25 years and it was a terrific boat.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal