Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 12:14   #136

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: Pro/Con of outboard for blue water cruising

17" of travel is quite a lot; good find! I dunk my lower unit often as well. It doesn't seem to mind

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 14:25   #137

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post
brownoarsman, We use a standard spring style adjustable mount made by Garhauer for Catalinas. I believe it has 17" maximum vertical travel which is the most we could find. The mounts are not on their website but can be still be purchased if you call them. Unless there is some wave action, we don't deploy the mount fully down, but instead to it's intermediate position which I think is 13" down.
Any idea how much weight/hp that Garhauer mount is built for? I am tempted to give them a call though mine is still fine...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 04:16   #138

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Hi DonCL,

I am not sure there max rating. You can get the mount with 1-4 springs depending on the weight of the engine. The mount seems well built with all stainless steel components. It is pricey, but I think it may be less than the most expensive garelicks.

Brian
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 19:16   #139

This has been a great thread and is very pertinent to the needs of alot of sailors. I don't have 10 grand for a new diesel in addition to the other projects I have on her and was ready to proceed with mounting a longshaft 20hp Merc of 90's vintage on the transom of my Bristol 40 yawl because the diesel is fried...and I want to focus on going engineless alot more than I have in the past anyway...I think even a boat of this size is a candidate for an outboard because she's rather "petite" for a 40 and I think an outboard well could be a good solution which could also solve the issues I have with the quite long,but narrow cockpit. I think I could lessen the tremendous cockpit volume of this boat by making an outboard well of sorts with a"lid" that could hold something light like life-jackets, revealing the well...but I may have to live with just a stern-hung O/b...which although it has the requisite down-sides of an o/b...at least I can hoist it off the stern with a block/tackle from the mizzen relatively easily when not in use..Just some thoughts...and again...a very interesting thread to many of us I think...
b.t.w.- if u are a sailor who likes to think "out-of-the-box" and havent visited this salty sailor blog : ChrisMorejohn@blogspot.com is a fountain of great ideas for many of us....and I highly recommend checking it out...
souljour2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 19:43   #140

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

I have a 6 tonne, 27' ferro and use a 6hp Mercury 2-stroke extra long shaft currently. It drinks about 2.3L per hour and averages 3kt. It's workable in protected environments like a bay or a river but for reasons already mentioned by others I'm looking to fit a diesel. It was pulled out by a previous owner but the driveshaft and prop are still there.

For the kind of sailing you intend to be doing I'd go diesel. Unfortunately they're not cheap, even in well-used condition.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:52   #141

Yeah Yanmar - Re: Pro/Con of outboard for blue water cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Compare that to a yanmar 2gm which uses about 1 litre per hour. The outboard is using 10 times the amount of fuel per hour. The yanmar 2gm replaced the 30hp atomic 4 on many sailboats. Also, a 30hp outboard is going to be a LOT of weight (and forces) on the transom.
My boat came with an 25yr old, 3G Yanmar, 27 hp, and I love it. Had some issues at first with gunk in the fuel tank, but once we cleared that up, she has started and run without a hitch. Burns only about a litre per hour at 1500 rpms, a bit more at 2000 or so.

Lots of these around also, so it is not too hard to find parts or some old hand to who knows them well - an especially nice feature if, like me, you are somewhat mechanically challenged.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:04   #142
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
This has been a great thread and is very pertinent to the needs of alot of sailors. I don't have 10 grand for a new diesel in addition to the other projects I have on her and was ready to proceed with mounting a longshaft 20hp Merc of 90's vintage on the transom of my Bristol 40 yawl because the diesel is fried...and I want to focus on going engineless alot more than I have in the past anyway...I think even a boat of this size is a candidate for an outboard because she's rather "petite" for a 40 and I think an outboard well could be a good solution which could also solve the issues I have with the quite long,but narrow cockpit. I think I could lessen the tremendous cockpit volume of this boat by making an outboard well of sorts with a"lid" that could hold something light like life-jackets, revealing the well...but I may have to live with just a stern-hung O/b...which although it has the requisite down-sides of an o/b...at least I can hoist it off the stern with a block/tackle from the mizzen relatively easily when not in use..Just some thoughts...and again...a very interesting thread to many of us I think...
b.t.w.- if u are a sailor who likes to think "out-of-the-box" and havent visited this salty sailor blog : ChrisMorejohn@blogspot.com is a fountain of great ideas for many of us....and I highly recommend checking it out...
FYI:. The link you posted above is an email address.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:13   #143

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

A diesel is about 30 to 35% more fuel efficient than a four stroke outboard. A four stroke outboard is about 15 or 20% more efficient than a two stroke outboard at cruise speed. At idle the four stroke outboard is waaaaaaaay more efficient than the two stroke. Differences in prop efficiency can also make a difference.

My Capri 22 got 17 mpg with a 3.5 HP two stroke at 4.5 kts. It gets 20 mpg with a 4 HP Tohatsu four stroke at 4.5 kts. These are real measured numbers, not guesses.
The 4 HP will push it into strong wind and waves but the 3.5 HP would not. High thrust prop on the 4 HP makes a big difference.

Either outboard would push the boat to 5.5 kts. Hull speed is 6 kts.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:49   #144

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Edit: whoops, wrong thread!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:58   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Outboards use lots of fuel. I'm 67 and been on the water since 7. In all that time except for diesel versions, I've never seen a reliable outboard.
My 8HP 4 stroke uses about 1 gallon every 4 hours pushing my 23 Oday along at 5kts.
Electric start
Quiet - keeps cabin quiet even when motoring
Alternator - charges battery
Fuel efficient - keep fuel, smells and noise out of cabin
Engine tiller makes docking a breeze

Worst case, an engine fire is OUTBOARD of the vessel
Cujo665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:03   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
A diesel is about 30 to 35% more fuel efficient than a four stroke outboard. A four stroke outboard is about 15 or 20% more efficient than a two stroke outboard at cruise speed. At idle the four stroke outboard is waaaaaaaay more efficient than the two stroke. Differences in prop efficiency can also make a difference.

My Capri 22 got 17 mpg with a 3.5 HP two stroke at 4.5 kts. It gets 20 mpg with a 4 HP Tohatsu four stroke at 4.5 kts. These are real measured numbers, not guesses.
The 4 HP will push it into strong wind and waves but the 3.5 HP would not. High thrust prop on the 4 HP makes a big difference.

Either outboard would push the boat to 5.5 kts. Hull speed is 6 kts.
Sounds accurate
I have the 8HP 4 stroke Tohatsu on my 23 Oday. I came up with 4 hours per gallon at 5kts. This is just barely above idle and matches your 20 mile finding
Old 11-12-2016, 08:12   #147

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo665 View Post
My 8.9HP 4 stroke uses about 1 gallon every 4 hours pushing my 23 Oday along at 5kts.
Electric start
Quiet - keeps cabin quiet even when motoring
Alternator - charges battery
Fuel efficient - keep fuel, smells and noise out of cabin
Engine tiller makes docking a breeze

Worst case, an engine fire is OUTBOARD of the vessel
Perhaps I'm biased but I find describing an Oday 23 as a 'blue water cruiser' ridiculous.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:21   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Perhaps I'm biased but I find describing an Oday 23 as a 'blue water cruiser' ridiculous.
Guess you haven't sailed in too many Nor'easters then.......
Old 11-12-2016, 11:48   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
It's more about the skipper anyway....

Tags
cruising, outboard, water