Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2016, 09:43   #1

Pro & Cons Of New Boat VS Almost New

HI all,
I would like to know your opinion about a new boat , range 70-8ok (i was looking for bavaria 9.7 easy or cruiser 33 (the same hull but better equipped) both quite slow (16 sail area/displacement) ratio, small inside, but everything perfectly new, clean, no more major work after 10 years (sails, standing rigging, ecc) new design, minimalist (wich i really like, all white and clean and bright)

OR for the same price something like 7-10 years old, like 38-40 ft but well, NOT new, but bigger more stable, faster, STRONGER...(you know the economy mode on= tinner hull, less reinforced, ecc)

The use would be for a couples liveaboard, and after few years circuminavigation, so DIY costumization (water maker, more battery, ecc) will be done in all the way..

Does someone know how the interior are fitted in a fiberglass hull? Is created a T attached to the hull with fiberglass and then to the part that come out wood furniture's are fixed on it? (in case getting an older boat but restyle the interior getting everything with less wood or get it very bright...)

Someone have an idea on how much time to get a new boat from main brand? 2-3 months?

Thanks
Stefano
P.S. There is dusseldorf boat show coming from 23rd to 31 th january
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 02:27   #2

Re: Pro & Cons Of New Boat VS Almost New

Stefano,

I do believe comfort and size come in proportion - larger the better (untill it's too large for you to handle it). However, I am not a handyman on boat maintenance. So I will vote for the new Bavaria 33.

Currently sail a 2008 Bavaria 34 (2 cabin version, bought her 2nd hand last year), I find the interia is sufficient for a couple to liveaboard. Of course my opinion is biased 😁.

Oh, I don't like the original sail, upgrade it if you have sufficient funding. Welcome on board

Sent from my Mi 4i using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
felixshmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 05:05   #3

Way too many variables and personal preferences to give you a straight up answer.

Assuming 2 similar boats one is new and one is 5yrs old but in good condition and 20% cheaper, I would take the used boat as it will typically have all the teething issues fixed and be outfitted with extra gear while not requiring significant repairs.

When you add in unknown condition, totally different size and design...it's pretty much impossible to suggest a preferred option.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 06:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Way too many variables and personal preferences to give you a straight up answer.

Assuming 2 similar boats one is new and one is 5yrs old but in good condition and 20% cheaper, I would take the used boat as it will typically have all the teething issues fixed and be outfitted with extra gear while not requiring significant repairs.

When you add in unknown condition, totally different size and design...it's pretty much impossible to suggest a preferred option.

Thanks
Old 20-01-2016, 06:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixshmak View Post
Stefano,

I do believe comfort and size come in proportion - larger the better (untill it's too large for you to handle it). However, I am not a handyman on boat maintenance. So I will vote for the new Bavaria 33.

Currently sail a 2008 Bavaria 34 (2 cabin version, bought her 2nd hand last year), I find the interia is sufficient for a couple to liveaboard. Of course my opinion is biased 😁.

Oh, I don't like the original sail, upgrade it if you have sufficient funding. Welcome on board

Sent from my Mi 4i using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thanks

Maybe i'll get to a 37-39 ft they have almost the same price of a new bavaria 33 but better sails (i heard many people like you complaining about the quality of the original sails, especially genoa is only 100%, very short rails near the mast,ecc) so a bit older but debugget i guess would be better too..

Even the cruise 33 from 2012, the one with the teak swimming platform is great and about 20% cheaper than new
Old 20-01-2016, 06:15   #6

Same boat... literally... you'll get more value in slightly used... and probably most of the kinks have been worked out. But if the boat was trucked out... you have to live with the previous owners tricks.

I spend days contemplating and planning ANY modification or equipment upgrade... You often don't get to do a re do without some negative consequences.

Also INSTALLING and UPGRADING is important LEARNING. So you don't want to miss those lessons.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 08:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Same boat... literally... you'll get more value in slightly used... and probably most of the kinks have been worked out. But if the boat was trucked out... you have to live with the previous owners tricks.

I spend days contemplating and planning ANY modification or equipment upgrade... You often don't get to do a re do without some negative consequences.

Also INSTALLING and UPGRADING is important LEARNING. So you don't want to miss those lessons.

Yes, sure but as you sad (trucked out means only take it out from the factory and almost never sailed right?) the previous owner as used it just for a pair of week end during the summer...is like get a new one with the same problem...

I really think i would move for a 37-39 ft used for space-speed...about lifting keel does someone have a personal experience idea? i read i lot about it both here on CF than other places...i would thought to get it and do not buy the dinghy....or maybe i'm wrong?

Yep i think too, that adding thing by yourself you can get in touch with the boat, understand it and so on

Thanks

P.s. I take a look also at the contest 36
Old 20-01-2016, 11:27   #8

I made a typo... I meant "Tricked out"... meaning the owner has made improvements on the factory model...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 13:51   #9

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

Stefano - agree totally with Valhalla. If you get a used boat you will still have many, many, many opportunities to add things and fix things and get to know your boat so don't get a brand new boat just for that.

Having said all that do be careful in the previous owner may or may not have known how to do a damn thing right and did everything wrong, or did it at a substandard quality level. Look under the covers and see how things were done. Some owners do outstanding work, even better than many pros so just because the owner did it does not automatically make it suspect. Conversely, not every "pro" does good work.

Happy hunting!
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 08:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I made a typo... I meant "Tricked out"... meaning the owner has made improvements on the factory model...
Roger
Old 21-01-2016, 08:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Stefano - agree totally with Valhalla. If you get a used boat you will still have many, many, many opportunities to add things and fix things and get to know your boat so don't get a brand new boat just for that.

Having said all that do be careful in the previous owner may or may not have known how to do a damn thing right and did everything wrong, or did it at a substandard quality level. Look under the covers and see how things were done. Some owners do outstanding work, even better than many pros so just because the owner did it does not automatically make it suspect. Conversely, not every "pro" does good work.

Happy hunting!
Thanks for your advice

Just to do not open another 3d.

The boat like bavaria cruiser 44, or oceanis 35, with double steering wheel (that i hate it) is there any pro about reliabilty? Meaning double steering wheel, double command to the rudder or is just the same steel wire that goes from rudder and in series to the 2 steering wheel so nothing change?

I guess all the boat until 40-45 ftt are NOT hydraulic steering...

or am i wrong?