Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 00:39   #1
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
Preparing Beneteau 361 for Coconut Milk Run

After reading a ton if posts by Mark about his adventures in his Beneteau and drooling over how nice they are inside, I'm considering the possibility of buying one on the west coast and selling it in OZ later for a profit, then buying another on the east coast and crossing the Atlantic, down the coast of Europe, Africa and repeating.

So many people criticize the Beneteaus for crossing oceans, but people do it, and I'd like to get a feel for how much work will be required to get an off charter or basically rigged Beneteau 361 ready to cruise. I think that they hold their resale value well and crossing before selling would add to the perceived value. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this.

After beginning to shop for boats, I'm realizing that if this is to be my home for a year or so, and I hope to attract a mate for any length of time to sail with, the creature comforts, look and style are important too. Since the milk run is considered pretty smooth sailing and safe, I'm hoping for at least that run, a Beneteau will work well enough that I can possibly live comfortably on it and maybe even make some money on it later.
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 00:54   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Good luck with the plan, plenty of Beneteaus have completed an Atlantic circuit with few worries.

Do not underestimate the cost of cruising kit required to add to a base charter boat to make it suitable for longer term sailing. More sails, instruments, liferaft, added power generation and storage, dinghy etc. It all adds up alarmingly once you get spending.

It's worth remembering it's the East to West crossing that's usually considered a downhill 'milk run'. Going from the USA to Europe will usually involve some uphill sailing, often in stronger weather.

Enjoy

JOHN
Old 12-01-2011, 01:41   #3

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
I think that they hold their resale value well and crossing before selling would add to the perceived value. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this
Personally, I agree. A boat with a pedigree of blue water miles certainly has added value when sold here in NZ.

Not sure in my case I would have looked at an ex charter Bene tho......this is probably misguided prejudice...but I would hesitate as I feel the charter yachts get hammered by users.

Just my two cents worth tho
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:54   #4
Marine Service Provider

The Milk run I'm referring to is the one from PV to Galapagos, on through the French Polynesians to NZ and OZ. I want to do that run in 2011 and time's a wastin' getting the boat secured.
Old 12-01-2011, 14:51   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
What's the rush?

Please excuse the intrusion but I did a quick skim of your posts.

You seem to be single, of modest means, and not overly experienced.

This would suggest that following in MarkJ's footsteps could be beneficial. My recollection is that he had considerable experience before buying his ex charter Beneteau. He lists his current location as "Cruising the Caribbean".

Reading between the lines, reports from the Dominican Republic suggest that it can be a pleasing place for single sailors. Other parts of the Caribbean may be almost as pleasant. Would you really want to miss them?

When I was wasting my time and money as a newly single young 'un trying to lean how to fly a helicoper (never realised that a 47G was an overpowered eggbeater that only wanted to beat itself to death) my instructor kept insisting that what I really needed to do was to find "Bubbles Bathhouse", a place that clearly did not exist.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 15:44   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
The Milk run I'm referring to is the one from PV to Galapagos, on through the French Polynesians to NZ and OZ. I want to do that run in 2011 and time's a wastin' getting the boat secured.
Well here you go then.... You can get a beautiful custom made S/S Genny/S.panel/Dinghy Arch, dinghy, o/board, W gen, S.panel for around $10k... Liferaft, epirb etc extra... in St Martin, the cheapest Marine stores in the Islands
Buy this next week you'll be ready to sail in a month...
BVI Yacht Sales Ltd.&

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 16:23   #7
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
U tempt me Boaty!

For the same price you can get a real mans boat

Real Mans Boat
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 18:53   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
U tempt me Boaty!

For the same price you can get a real mans boat

Real Mans Boat
I'd stick with the 'Bendi' for what the OP's got in mind... its much younger and he could knock 5K of the asking price at least... another 15K and its provisioned and fitted out ready to voyage west... all in less than a month just in time for a coupla weeks familiarising/sea trials before starting west following the weather...
Reckon he could do it for 90K all in with change... now he has to figure how much he'll make allowing for taxes etc the other end...
Trouble with Freedoms...

Old 12-01-2011, 19:57   #9
cruiser

yeha Boaty, but that freedom is loaded with the generator electic stuff and a dink. Think it might be a square deal with the other mucho stuff...that would leave the bennie for me
Old 12-01-2011, 20:05   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well here you go then.... You can get a beautiful custom made S/S Genny/S.panel/Dinghy Arch, dinghy, o/board, W gen, S.panel for around $10k... Liferaft, epirb etc extra... in St Martin, the cheapest Marine stores in the Islands
Buy this next week you'll be ready to sail in a month...
BVI Yacht Sales Ltd.&
I looked at that one. For the same money, there's another with liferaft, dinghy, newer O/B, BBQ, Wind Gen, dodger/Bimini, radar, huge tankage, etc. Pretty much ready to go assuming there are no survey surprises.

As far as making a profit, it's not a necessity, just a possibility given the age and popularity of the model. Meanwhile I get a much more comfortable and attractive boat IMO than a 30+ year old boat. I don't plan to live on it forever. A couple of years cruising is all I really want at the moment. That may change in the future but resale is a consideration. I don't mind losing money as an expense for the lifestyle. It's a boat and not a condo and has wear and tear like any vehicle; however I think that there is a larger demographic for this boat, especially if set up for cruising as a "bonus". Of course that's just my opinion based on limited knowledge of cruising boats.
Old 12-01-2011, 20:07   #11
Marine Service Provider

SaltMonkey:

That boat looks pretty nice. Not familiar with freedom yachts though. I'll do some research and might look at it if I fly down to check out the Bene I have my eye on.
Old 12-01-2011, 20:09   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

If its a 2002 model your doing really well kitted out for $69K.... hope the survey's good for you.

Old 12-01-2011, 20:29   #13
cruiser

May be a good backup.
Old 12-01-2011, 21:03   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
May be a good backup.
For sure. It certainly looks well rigged and organized. Long draft compared to the 5' Bene though.
Old 12-01-2011, 21:27   #15
Marine Service Provider

Is it just me or is this a really dumb place to put radar? How hard to move it? It seems like you'd have to leave the bimini up all the time. I'm not sure I'd want that...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1422&url=

Tags
beneteau, Milk Run