Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 08:56   #1

Boat: Coronado 26, Dragonfly, Precision 23
Precision 23 centerboard woes

I race a Precision 23 "Logos" in club racing. I've had some abnormalities involving the centerboard.

First, at high speed (hull or above perhaps) began recently a vibration and sound like a bass string hum. Maybe it just hadn't gone that fast before, but vibration can't be good for speed.

Some time later, last Wednesday, racing in very light wind, the centerboard stuck in the down position, making a "thunk" sound as it reached bottom. Not dropped, but lowered briskly. A helper got it loose by pulling harder than I dared on the pennant, but it continues to get stuck at the full down position. ("So don't put it all the way down dummy") doesn't work for me.

I suspect it might not be straight anymore. I do have the schematic of the installed CB, the hangar with lateral pin and the pennant, when attached and down.

The Hangar is fastened with a stainless steel hangar in, and the board retracts into the keel and bolts through the sole of the cabin, with two decorative bolt head covers on the floor.

So it makes sense to me to try and tighten the hangar bolt nuts in the cabin where i can easily access them. But how much? (The boat's in the water, and board can't be extended on its low trailer.) I don't have a local place to hoist it.

Before me just ignorantly starting to try things, with some luck one or more of you will know exactly what is likely wrong and the best way to correct it.

See what confidence I have in this bunch of sailors?

Thank you in advance for any advice, expertise, ideas, suggestion.

Mike
Landlocked Indiana
cptmclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:30   #2

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Precision 23 centerboard woes

I think that's normal. My Capri 22 with a fin keel does the same thing surfing down waves above hull speed. The bottom line is it wasn't designed for those speeds. I have seen over 12kts in the Capri, twice hull speed.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:26   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Precision 23 centerboard woes

The vibration at high speeds could be the pennant. Know my Dyneema topping lift likes to 'sing' in winds over 10k. All you can do for the sticking when down is jump in the water and watch what happens when the board bottoms out with someone on board letting it down. Could be anything from marine growth in the trunk to a snagged wire in the pennant.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard