Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2014, 06:45   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Porta-Bote

The pic of jerry in the portabote I can attest to. Late last season as I was taking my boat from her mooring I witnessed one of my mooring neighbors zipping back and forth in one of these. That pic shows the exact thing that impressed me. Hard to see it from the pic but that's a planing turn. I watched my neighbor whip that thing around and just knew he had a grin on his face while doing it. Notice the lack of spray. When on plane it does not throw much of a wake either. Very tempting especially if you don't have a boat that you can mount davits on to hang a RIB. I would image it tows with less resistance as well.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 07:28   #17

Re: Porta-Bote

I bought my Alpha 1 series 10' porta-bote in March as tender for my 393 Beneteau. Installed four lifting points, added drain plug and painted the black seats with epoxy paint as they got to hot here in the Caribbean. Use it with a 6hp Tohatsu.
I also have a 9' Apex dinghy which is preferred by wife and 110lb dog as it is more stable and makes it easier for the dog to move around and get on an out.
I like the porta-bote as long as I am anchored in calm bays and anchorages as I can use it for fishing using my throw net moving supplies as it has double the space available compared to the Apex. It is however by far not as stable as the inflatable and going swimming or snorkling without te optional boat ladder is not advisable as you can flood it when boarding.
It is unsinkable but your engine will get flooded.
I can plane the PB in flat water with my wife, dog and myselfe on board.
When the dog moves around I have to shift to balance the bote.

I do not regret the purchase but it is a compromise as any other tender. I am sipping around the bay with a 6hp engine. It was very seldom that I inflated my Apex since I got the PB. Wife and dog are getting used to it, little by little😜

You can see pictures of my PB in the Yahoo Group
ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 07:42   #18

Boat: Camano Troll

I have seen Porta Botes carried on the stern of a trawler vertically with the transom on the swim platform. A porta bote is probably lighter than an equivalent sized inflatable.

My choice of an 8' inflatable over my existing 12' Porta Bote is mostly based on having a small boat and a large Porta Bote. For a larger boat, I think the Porta Bote would make a good dinghy, especially considering that it can't leak air and will hold up to sunlight and rocks and such indefinitely.
Old 21-12-2014, 11:10   #19

Boat: Catalina 350

We have an 8' portabote that works well for us. It takes 15-20 min. to unfold it on the foredeck of our boat and drop in or retrieve it using a halyard. We row it and it rows pretty well, even with the stock oars. It holds a lot of stuff, and we don't have to worry about springing leaks when carrying our folding bikes on it. The newer portabotes have a folding transom support that folds in and remains with the boat, so one less thing you have to store with the newer ones.

You can flip the thing when boarding, if not careful. It is a good lesson on what sinks and what floats, though. I also learned not to do that again.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 17:00   #20

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

I've only had my 12' PB for 7 1/2 Years, 6 HP 4 stroke Nissan.......Lovem both...no issues of any kind. The PB is a tough dinghy, the Nissan is awesome,trouble free fuel miser,

For those that aren't familiar, both boat and motor weigh the same, 67 lbs each.

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin...........

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:42   #21

Boat: Pearson 365.....36.5

hey.....I have the 10' portabote....does anyone have a saltwater trolling motor on there's. I am wondering which size 35/45/55/65 lb. thrust will work the best...I am using as a tender mostly...some snorkeling/fishing. always in calm water.
I have a 6 hp. Tahatsu at the moment and at 125 lbs. post open heart surgery, I am finding difficult to put on and off the ketch to the dinghy. Would a trolling motor push the dinghy as a 3 hp. outboard motor. How would ya'll rate the push of electric to comparable outboard....ie...what outboard would compare to a 4 hp outboard?

Billy aboard Sta-sea-dawn, Pearson 365 ketch
floridabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:20   #22

Boat: Pearson 365.....36.5

hey.....I have the 10' portabote....does anyone have a saltwater trolling motor on there's. I am wondering which size 35/45/55/65 lb. thrust will work the best...I am using as a tender mostly...some snorkeling/fishing. always in calm water.
I have a 6 hp. Tahatsu (way to fast)at the moment and at 125 lbs. post open heart surgery, I am finding difficult to put on and off the ketch to the dinghy. Would a trolling motor push the dinghy as a 3 hp. outboard motor. How would ya'll rate the push of electric to comparable outboard....ie...what outboard would compare to a 4 hp outboard?

Billy aboard Sta-sea-dawn, Pearson 365 ketch
floridabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:20   #23

Floridabilly.....sorry but I don't have experience with the trolling motor but suspect the higher Thrust should do well. My concern would be te weigh of the battery with your conditions. Suggest using your mizzen boom for attaching your outboard or even the battery for a electric motor... I understand boom length could be a problem if it extends to far past your rail engine mount. Only other suggestion would be installing a "proper" engine hoist lifting device which could be used for many different things too...

S/V Water Wings
Old 10-01-2015, 11:36   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabilly View Post
Would a trolling motor push the dinghy as a 3 hp. outboard motor. How would ya'll rate the push of electric to comparable outboard....ie...what outboard would compare to a 4 hp outboard?
I used an electric trolling motor for a number of years with our 10-footer. I don't know what size it was (not big, not small). It worked pretty good, but certainly never generated the same thrust I get out of my 3.5 hp gas outboard. The main reason I went to a standard gas outboard was the range issue. A single battery would be depleted fairly quickly at full throttle. I could go for many hours if I kept the throttle to 1/2, but that meant travelling pretty slow. For a battery I just used one like this, so it was easy to slug around and connect.

I played with a Torqeedo on our bote, and it worked great from a speed/power perspective. Light, easy to use. But once again, the issue was range. At high speeds the battery got drained pretty fast.
Old 16-02-2015, 11:29   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

All this talk about Portebotes just made me have to out and buy one. I put it through its maiden test this weekend, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I got very lucky finding a 3.5 horsepower Nissan (Tohatsu) with still warranty left on it to put on the back end of it. I was seriously considering electric, as the boat came with one, but reading Mike's comment confirmed that was not the correct choice. I'm undecided whether I'm going to keep the electric trolling motor or not. All in all one can't complain to have a 12 foot boat, a virtual new gas motor, an electric trolling motor, and all for under $900.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1424114891806.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	97226   Click image for larger version

Name:	1424114904820.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	97227  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1424114922029.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	97228  
Old 16-02-2015, 12:43   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
All this talk about Portebotes just made me have to out and buy one. I put it through its maiden test this weekend, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I got very lucky finding a 3.5 horsepower Nissan (Tohatsu) with still warranty left on it to put on the back end of it. I was seriously considering electric, as the boat came with one, but reading Mike's comment confirmed that was not the correct choice. I'm undecided whether I'm going to keep the electric trolling motor or not. All in all one can't complain to have a 12 foot boat, a virtual new gas motor, an electric trolling motor, and all for under $900.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
That sounds like a SWEET deal!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 15:56   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Good deal. I'm jealous .
Old 16-02-2015, 16:15   #28

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
I've only had my 12' PB for 7 1/2 Years, 6 HP 4 stroke Nissan.......Lovem both...no issues of any kind. The PB is a tough dinghy, the Nissan is awesome,trouble free fuel miser,

For those that aren't familiar, both boat and motor weigh the same, 67 lbs each.

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin...........

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
No way a 12-foot PB weighs 67 pounds, it's more even without the seats, transom and oars. Also the 6 HP Nissan is spec'd at 58 (short shaft).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 21:56   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
That sounds like a SWEET deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Good deal. I'm jealous .
Yes, especially since it was from two different sellers. Right time, right place I guess.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-02-2015, 16:25   #30

SailFastTri....you are correct, my mistake. The 12' weighs 87lbs without the seats.

They are a light weight combination any way you look at it...

S/V Water Wings