Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-03-2015, 03:39   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38
Re: Porta-Bote

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
I understand Canibuls frustration as one not directed at you but rather at the preponderance of a manufacturer that can't even get basic facts about their own product straight.
RK,

It really sounds like you have way too much time on your hands and a bit of a chip on your shoulder. I have dealt with the PB people and they are OK folks, at least a bit better than some.

Old 24-03-2015, 05:04   #77

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Porta-Bote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
RK,

It really sounds like you have way too much time on your hands and a bit of a chip on your shoulder. I have dealt with the PB people and they are OK folks, at least a bit better than some.

Chip? I think that appears to be yours.

Old 24-03-2015, 11:42   #78
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

My question about the weight was answered, as stated two pages back. The Prez of Porta-Bote assures me that their 12 foot boat weighs 78 lbs. And that shipping to Tropical sea freight in Miami is free. That was what I needed to know. They returned my email and answered my questions. I got no beef with Porta-Bote at all. I want one of their boats.

I'd love to find a used boat/motor combination to ship down here, but unfortunately all the ones I can find in the US seem to have four stroke motors. bummer.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:32   #79

Can you provide photos or a description of your drain plug and lifting points? Where are they located on the boat? What brand/type of drain did you use? Was it self bailing/automatic? Pictures are worth 1000 words, but anything would be helpful and appreciated--thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricco View Post
I bought my Alpha 1 series 10' porta-bote in March as tender for my 393 Beneteau. Installed four lifting points, added drain plug and painted the black seats with epoxy paint as they got to hot here in the Caribbean. Use it with a 6hp Tohatsu.
I also have a 9' Apex dinghy which is preferred by wife and 110lb dog as it is more stable and makes it easier for the dog to move around and get on an out.
I like the porta-bote as long as I am anchored in calm bays and anchorages as I can use it for fishing using my throw net moving supplies as it has double the space available compared to the Apex. It is however by far not as stable as the inflatable and going swimming or snorkling without te optional boat ladder is not advisable as you can flood it when boarding.
It is unsinkable but your engine will get flooded.
I can plane the PB in flat water with my wife, dog and myselfe on board.
When the dog moves around I have to shift to balance the bote.

I do not regret the purchase but it is a compromise as any other tender. I am sipping around the bay with a 6hp engine. It was very seldom that I inflated my Apex since I got the PB. Wife and dog are getting used to it, little by little😜

You can see pictures of my PB in the Yahoo Group

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: