Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2015, 14:46   #46

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'
Re: Porta-Bote

This is all great stuff. As a long time diver, I am aware of the strategy of pulling the gear off prior to entering but I would like to at least try (in safe waters) to come up with a way to enter the boat even with the gear on.

Pool noodles as additional flotation and as fenders - now why didn't I think of that?

Small air flotation bags - another great idea. I heard some folks cover the seats with some sunbrella fabric - a lighter color would help and it would be easy to recover.

I really like hearing the gaskets have never failed - I hear the new integral folding transom is working pretty well, as well.

I am not a speed demon (remember, I am sailing a heavy displacement old fashioned sailing vessel) but I also don't like the idea of lugging around some huge 15 - 25 hp RIB engine either. And the carrying capacity is really amazing. Probably would get the 12'. That seems quite manageable. I just have to find out where to tie it since I won't likely install lifelines.

Did anyone look at the sailing rig they are now advertising? I think I would pass on that. But the ladder accessory looks good. Can't get an RIB for anywhere near the price and no tubes to puncture or repair.

Thank you all for chiming in. Very helpful information.

Daniel McNeil
Old 13-03-2015, 15:59   #47

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

If you look around you should be able to find a like new used 12 footer. Think I sold our 12 for $700 ???? I bought the 12 to use until I could find a used 14. Check the usual places Craigs ebay and RV websites. Campers also use them, you can get mounts for the side of a RV.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 17:18   #48

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Did anyone look at the sailing rig they are now advertising? I think I would pass on that. But the ladder accessory looks good. Can't get an RIB for anywhere near the price and no tubes to puncture or repair.
I have the sail rig b/c I got an amazing boat show deal (basically got it for free). It's a lateen rig, very light weight. Requires the use of side-dagger boards. The rig is fun, but really just a toy. It's great for playing around the anchorage though. When we're anchored for long periods I might pull it out.

ShaktisBoy: I love your pool noodle idea. How do you afix the noodle? Just split them and snap them on? Or do you do you tie them down in any way? Can you still fold the bote with them attached, or do they have to come off?
Old 13-03-2015, 19:16   #49

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Yes I split them lengthwise and snap them on then I drilled 2 small holes per noodle and used zip ties to keep them on. By the way it takes 5 noodles to go around the 12 footer leaving about a foot of each end uncovered for wheels on the stern and a little space on the bow for the painter to not rip off the noodles when the dinghy is tied to the dock.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 20:58   #50

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
This is all great stuff. As a long time diver, I am aware of the strategy of pulling the gear off prior to entering but I would like to at least try (in safe waters) to come up with a way to enter the boat even with the gear on.

I am not a speed demon (remember, I am sailing a heavy displacement old fashioned sailing vessel) but I also don't like the idea of lugging around some huge 15 - 25 hp RIB engine either. And the carrying capacity is really amazing. Probably would get the 12'. That seems quite manageable. I just have to find out where to tie it since I won't likely install lifelines.

Thank you all for chiming in. Very helpful information.
-------------------------
Daniel McNeil
Climbing back on board a small tender with full kit I suspect is not going to happen.

Whilst it is feasable on mother vessels with well designed access unless you have a very large tender I believe it just wont happen. It is not difficult to take off gear, climb aboard and then lift gear in.

Good luck coming up with a system as most of us would prefer to climb aboard fully kitted where possible.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 21:07   #51
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Climbing back on board a small tender with full kit I suspect is not going to happen.

Whilst it is feasable on mother vessels with well designed access unless you have a very large tender I believe it just wont happen. It is not difficult to take off gear, climb aboard and then lift gear in.

Good luck coming up with a system as most of us would prefer to climb aboard fully kitted where possible.
But just think of the possible viral Youtube video of the attempts to climb aboard a dinghy with full scuba gear on!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 21:15   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
But just think of the possible viral Youtube video of the attempts to climb aboard a dinghy with full scuba gear on!
As long as I wear my face mask it may be possible no one will recognize me.
Old 13-03-2015, 21:25   #53

On a different note, I find these port-botes on line used but they are all on the coasts. Having something that oddly shaped shipped to the midwest could be problematic/expensive. The RV sites I looked at had ads for 20 y/o used ones "only used twice".

yeah, right.
Old 13-03-2015, 22:42   #54

Boat: Catalina 42 MK1 1991

Has anybody ever thought of the winboat/f-rib? You can look them up on winboat.net

Basically, they are foldable RIB's where there is a simple bolt that locks the different parts together making it easier to store and assemble. Though they are not cheap.
dkchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 03:58   #55
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

can someone who has a 12 ft. Portabote clarify the basic weight for me? They have it as both 68 and 87 lbs on their website. Both those weights are listed as for the hull without seats. A 20 lb discrepancy isn't a deal breaker, but I'd still like to know. It's half the weight of the engine they allow.
Old 20-03-2015, 05:20   #56

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
can someone who has a 12 ft. Portabote clarify the basic weight for me? They have it as both 68 and 87 lbs on their website. Both those weights are listed as for the hull without seats. A 20 lb discrepancy isn't a deal breaker, but I'd still like to know. It's half the weight of the engine they allow.

Ive never actually weighed our 12 footer but I can cary it like an awkward surfboard. Feels around 70ish pounds with seats transom and floors out but my arms haven't been calibrated recently.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 03:00   #57
One of Those

I tried emailing Portabote two days ago with this simple question. I guess they don't know, either. Or maybe it's a secret. I'll ask the NSA. They'll know.
Old 21-03-2015, 05:50   #58

Boat: Rafiki 37

Portabote Canada says 87 lbs. (39.5kg)
Old 22-03-2015, 04:08   #59
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Portabote Canada says 87 lbs. (39.5kg)
According to the email I received yesterday, confirmed today, neither of the weights listed on the website are correct. The President of Portabote informs me that the 12' model actually weighs 78 lbs, rather than either of the two different weights listed on the website.

HOW can there be three different weights for the same boat?

I guess the best answer I can come up with as a result of this simple question is that the 12 ft. portabote apparently weighs somewhere between 60 and 90 lbs. but it seems to be a mystery. Or classified.

Maybe I should just file a Freedom of Info request with the NSA.
Old 22-03-2015, 04:14   #60

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
According to the email I received yesterday, confirmed today, neither of the weights listed on the website are correct. The President of Portabote informs me that the 12' model actually weighs 78 lbs, rather than either of the two different weights listed on the website.
Or maybe the best answer is "fairly lightweight compared to RIB's of a similar size or capacity."
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote