Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2011, 23:01   #1

Boat: Havent Bought It Yet
Pop-Up Cabins on Sailboats

I just wanted to know if you can make any sailboat into a pop-up cabin?

I ask because I am like 6'4" and want to buy a live-aboard sailboat.

Probably a stupid newbie question, but I suck at Google. Went through like 5 pages of nothing.

Thanks in advance
markmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 23:30   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Re: Pop-Up Cabins on sailboat

There are sailboats designed with pop up cabins and I'm sure someone from the USA will come along soon and let you know some local models.

But sorry, you cannot easily just convert a normal boat into one.

Boat decks / cabintops are designed to share and transmit loads from rigging etc through to hulls and keels. If you attempted to simply cut out the area for a pop up top its likely you'd weaken the overall structure.

Not unlike assuming you can cut the top off an auto to make a convertible..........

Good luck.

JOHN
Old 31-10-2011, 23:33   #3

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

In my sailing past I have sailed a couple of Catalina's that have pop up tops and I think you will find there not being built today because if the boat is healed to far it will take on water and not be as safe as a boat with a smaller hatch, able to be some what water tight. It seams lots of smaller sailboats are made for folks under 5' 2" and are for taller folks. There's a Catalia 27 pop top in my marina that is still sailing on this lake not too many in open ocean.

I suggest looking at a canvas dodger to cover the open hatch, this will give you a place to stand up straight, (this is what I did on our last sailboat) and be able to close the hatch in foul weather for safety
Old 31-10-2011, 23:55   #4

Boat: Havent Bought It Yet

OK Thanks for the info, I knew everything is structural and is not like a Van where you can just cut roofs and windows. But looking at some of the images on Google Images, kinda got me thinking they were cutting away.

Whats the proper term so I can search "for sale" websites. I think its more like "Pop Top" or "Pop Top Cabin"

Thanks
markmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:43   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Everything can be done - but time, effort and money would be better spent getting a bigger boat......rather than creating something that doesn't work well............and is pretty much unsaleable.

Just also to say that sometimes you can pinch an inch (or 2?) from lowering the floorboards (and not I must stress from chopping out any structural floor bearers!).....and also possibly from a re-design of the headlining. These all have a price, less (no?) depth to the bilge and same for insulation behind the headlining....but really those apply to bigger and older boats.

But IMO easiest to find a boat that works from the getgo, even if you have to trade something else (all boats are a compromise anyway).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:18   #6

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Buy a Mason 44. I am 6'4" and have headroom to spare. It will also make a great live-aboard.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:31   #7

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

I've only seen pop-ups on some older day sailers, Chrysler I think. Even then the sides were open and exposed to the elements. Not exactly conducive to living aboard.
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:48   #8

Boat: Tartan 4100

I had an older 1972 Cal 27 that had a huge pop up with 6'-6" headroom. It was great for the Chesapeake...once your at anchor and put the top up, you had a 360 degree view and better yet, 360 degrees of ventilation (with screens and canvas for rain), perfect for those hot nights on the Bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cal 27.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	33154  
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat