Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2014, 16:46   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Plumb Bows, Slab Sides, and Wet Decks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Violet.
Nothing wrong with the plumb bow. This and to original pics are apples and oranges as far as hull design. Comparing them?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 17:01   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Plumb bows are a good start--most boats had them some decades ago, before racing rules made folk do stupid stuff like have overhangs, but these modern wedge-shaped boats don't please me. For dry-ness and seaworthyness you need wider bows. "Codfish bows and a mackerel tail" is how the pilot cutters of old were designed, and they were reportedly some of the best seakeepers ever. You can see footage on Youtube of the Volvo boats at sea, and there seems to be lots of water coming aboard.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 18:12   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It definitely wouldn't hurt to put up a posting over on Sailing Anarchy. That said, you have to remember that while you're seeing a different styling in the topsides, what matters more is the underwater profile when she's heeled over.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 10:00   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Violet.
Cream!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 14:47   #20

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
As large production builders [and even many (former?) offshore constructors like Najad] continually move towards sharper entries and ever more slab-sided forward sections I wonder how wet these boats sail upwind in moderate or choppy conditions. I haven't sailed aboard a boat designed post 2000 or so and am curious if these latest designs are notably wetter than the typical 1990 designs of the big production builders.
Take a look and see who is the wettest boat on those moderate choopy conditions, a bigger Rustler 37 (new boat but old design) or a smaller Salona 35 with sharper entries and slab-sided forward sections:

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 15:03   #21

Newer design is dry going to weather but very lively in a seaway compared to the Rustler. If I was sailing locally I would take the newer design hands down and even though I,m not a full keel fan if I was crossing oceans I,d take the Rustler.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 15:15   #22

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

I don't belive those 2 videos offer a valid comparison. The Rustler is broad reaching and the other is hard on the wind.

I own a Bristol Channel a Cutter. Plumb bow slab sided and as easy and dry a motion as you would care for.

Amazing how designs have gone full circle, except for the flat forward section of the newer designs that rattle your teeth out. Bow sprites anyone?
Old 20-12-2014, 15:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Newer design is dry going to weather but very lively in a seaway compared to the Rustler. If I was sailing locally I would take the newer design hands down and even though I,m not a full keel fan if I was crossing oceans I,d take the Rustler.
Nobody is comparing the boats in what regards anything other than being wetter and to weather (that is where the boats are wet) the Rustles sails with more heel and it is a wetter boat. That's the only thing the OP was discussing.

It is not fair in what regards seaworthiness to compare a 37ft boat with a 35ft boat and regarding a SaLona 37/38, comparing with a Rustler 37 regarding offshore sailing or crossing Oceans, it is mostly a question of personal preference...and we know you are quite conservative regarding that....but let's stay on the subject of the thread.
Old 20-12-2014, 15:49   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacap View Post
I don't belive those 2 videos offer a valid comparison. The Rustler is broad reaching and the other is hard on the wind.
Yes, except that the position where a boat is wetter is hard on the wind, not broad reaching and if the Rustler is already wetter on a beam reach you can imagine how it will be on a close reach.
Old 20-12-2014, 16:01   #25

OK Polux I agree the newer design is dryer to windward but what's with me being conservative, even if I am, lol. You spend weeks at a time crossing oceans and Illl bet you might be a little more conservative as well. Light boats are quick and I love to sail or race them but I don't like the motion offshore even if you do spend a little less time on them.
Old 20-12-2014, 16:09   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I didn't hear the folks on the Rustler complaining about the camera getting wet. Did you?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 16:16   #27

No, I did not have crossed oceans but I have plenty experience offshore and I have sailed and even owned heavy boats and I prefer the way a light boat sails. The motion is different but as it has been said by many ( some that have crossed oceans) there are ones that prefer the sharper but less pronounced motion of a light boat, others that prefer the slower but more ample motion of a heavier boat. Even in what regards getting seasick (I don't) I have been told by the ones that get, that some have more problems with one kind of motion, others with the other.

Like preferring a boat over the other, it is a question of personal taste, nothing more and all tastes are equally good. The only thing wrong would be me saying to you that a light boat has many advantages and therefore it will be better for you and the other way around.
Old 20-12-2014, 16:28   #28

Well you know the beauty of it is if we did not have some different opinions this forum could not exist.
Old 20-12-2014, 16:45   #29

The forum would be the least of it, living without variety would be quite boring
Old 20-12-2014, 16:54   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Violet.
Just curious, is this your boat?

I like the look of it.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags