Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 18:27   #1

Plumb bow that's flat on the front?

I was looking at my nonsuch 26 and the bow is flat at the tip. I was thinking I could cut the waves a little easier with a finer entry but looking at the Hanse and the beneteau, they also have a flat tip. Is this to make production easier or is it simply not required to have a pointy bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Slamjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 19:09   #2

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: Plumb bow that's flat on the front?

Hmmm, it would seem to me that pointy is better. Anything to reduce drag would improve efficiency; kind of like a belly flop vs a swan dive. Maybe the flat nose helps the boat rise up a little as it gains speed.
I have a 1982 Cape Dory 36 and it's pointy. Cape Dory was never a mass production boat and is also no longer in business, so maybe pointy is expensive and mid range sail boats need to be more cost conscious?
There's bound to be an Engineer that'll chime in here soon and explain pointy vs flat amd the benefits and drawbacks for each setup.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 19:22   #3

Re: Plumb bow that's flat on the front?

Sharper edge cuts through fluids quicker - problem is when your beam is nearly 40% of waterline, having a sharp bow only means you'll have to deal with more drag as rest of the hull catches up.

Also I suspect the waterline is fairly fluid flow optimized and looks nothing like the 1 inch flat edge by the bowsprit.