Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 18:01   #1

Plexiglass windows

Hi I am new to posting on a forum so hope this is the right place.
I own a morgan outisland 416 cc ketch and need to replace the bimini and the plexiglass windows. I have the boat on the hard in Guaymas Mex. I don't have the old windows to use as patterns and the windows are going on ss tube frame. Would anyone be willing to share methods to make the windows and or a web site that gives instructions. I am familiar with doing layout and reading a tape but in carpentry.
I also would like to make the bimini top into a hard top using the existing tubing as a frame. Looking at FRP panels to use for the top. Just beginning to experiment and see what I have to work with. any suggestions on material and methods to attach side curtains and screens. Right now thinking of snaps or bolt ropes to a track.
Sunbrella top is nice but found after 6 yrs of cruising the central american coastline I only took the top down a couple of time to star gaze while on overnight passages.
thanks before hand to any suggestions
swdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 11:32   #2

Re: Plexiglass windows

Hi just redid the windows on an Islander. They were not fun and took way longer than anticipated. Unfortunately my frames were plastic and two pieces basically fused together. after hours to get the frames split, I was able to use construction cardboard to make a pattern ( I also had no original templates windows to use for comparison) . It took about 6 reiterations of the pattern to get on to fit. But once it was done, I used Plexiglass and a jizsaw with a very fine blade to cut the window from a sheet of plastic. Found that even though the pattern was good, the windows needed some adjustments with a die grinder. managed to do a window a day but never want to do this again. hope that helps
win2000wiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind