Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-03-2008, 15:10   #16

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
Suggest you buy a copy of Don Casey's book, Inspecting the Aging Sailboat. It tells you what to look for in a boat before you spend $600 for a survey.

Old 24-03-2008, 15:36   #17

Boat: Delphia 37
Ordered!

Old 31-03-2008, 20:16   #18

Could do worse...

Along with my brother, I bought a 1982 vintage Beneteau First 32 a couple years ago. Despite some serious doubts, we sailed (and motored, for lack of wind) last summer from Sturgeon Bay to Ashland, WI. It turned out to be a wonderful trip. We saw very few sailboats on the entire 600 miles. I admit that we hunkered down for a couple days in Houghton while the wind blew, but otherwise, we didn't even need to reef! Admittedly, we had a rebuilt Yanmar, and except for a recalicatrant autopilot one night, the gear held up just fine. I say, go for it!
Old 01-04-2008, 17:51   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"you'll want the seller to do a new survey. "
That's backwards. A seller's survey serves the seller. A buyer needs to commission their own survey, with the surveyor chosen by them and obligated ONLY to them. Yes, that means laying out money, and sometimes folks will work out a deal saying they'll pay for the survey--and if they walk, they'll resell it to the next comer to half price, etc. (Anything is after all negotiable.)

But a seller's survey? Nice if it is there, but it shouldn't be relied on. And the seller is not going to spend money having their boat surveyed, just in case someone looking to buy it might accept it. (Although, again, you can always try to contract to have the seller reimburse the survey costs if the survey turns up a signficant problem and the deal goes south.)
Old 01-04-2008, 18:26   #20

Ahh some bastard bought the boats out from under me... not really but... This was the first weekend I will be able to go view the boat and someone made an offer last weekend. 2nd boat this has happened to me!!!!!

And the broker won't let me get into a bidding war over something I've never seen...geez! I know, got better things to do than get into a bidding war over a over priced boat which would turn out to be to small anyways.

Heading up to Duluth this weekend to check out what's there. Worst case is I get on a few different boats for comparison.

Read the aging sailboat book, next is the survey one!

Just need to find the next boat..... I'm getting so hard up a new one started sounding logical... yea, that passed pretty quickly...

I *was* going to make a thread on what exactly "sale pending" meant but figured it just was not meant to be (or some crap like that)
Old 01-04-2008, 19:11   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Marty, "sale pending" doesn't mean "sold". it does mean that someone has put down a deposit, and now will start the process of inspection, survey, financing, sea trials, and the sale may fall through at any time. So if you ARE interested, let the broker know. They will call you if the deal falls through--and if they're smart, they'll find similar boats and call you anyway.
Old 01-04-2008, 19:35   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
For your intended use and sailing area there is nothing wrong with a Catalina, Hunter, or Beneteau. C&C's are another boat that is common on the Great Lakes. You will be doing a fair bit of windward sailing and also light air so these would be two things to look for in a boat. Because of the short season and fresh water even an older boat can be in very good shape. Much better than it's saltwater cousins. My only caveat is that these boats with their shallow rounded hull forms will tend to pound more going upwind in the short steep chop that we can get here. A full keel boat will be more comfortable but your choice may be more limited to an older narrow beam boat that may not have the amenities you are looking for. As it always seems with boats you have to pick your compromises. I would probably come down on the side of the fin keel.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 19:46   #23

I am going to view the boat in question this weekend (Beneteau 285) just to put things in the back of my mind. Up for viewing are: Hunter 285, Beneteau 285, Bayfield 32C, Cal 34 Mk III and Hunter 34

What I think I want is something on the order of a Hunter 310 but 1. the other bugger sold that one and 2. you guys have me convinced HunterbennyCatalina are just w-a-i-t-i-n-g to fall apart! I'm kidding mostly, understand the principle use the boat was built for and don't expect much outside those expectations.

While I'd like a blue water bomb proof something but it's not going to be the most comfortable on the inside and would cost a small fortune for something I would never use to fullest extent in the giving location/application.

I need to get on some more boats and hopefully this weekend I'll get some more experience on the hard at least. A dealer locally has a Hunter 29.5 I think he might be willing to deal on.
Old 01-04-2008, 19:59   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Bidding wars...

I would suggest that if you find yourself bidding for a boat that your bid be two thirds of your valuation.

Tags
beneteau

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: