Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 11:16   #16

Boat: Coast 30
Re: Please give me a heading for classic wooden boat gaff cutters in small sizes

nematon785....Have you considered driving north to Port Townsend in Washington state?

For decades now they have been branding their town as the wooden boat capitol of at least the west coast if not the world. Nice place to spend a long weekend vacation!
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 13:55   #17

Boat: 10' surfboard
Re: Please give me a heading for classic wooden boat gaff cutters in small sizes

Wow! thank you all so much! plenty to chew on for a while. There is something very interesting about developing a tackle rig to haul a yard or hoist even more canvas rather than a few turns around a winch, I also like the common sense function of a bulwark to stand on while heeled over. roller furling, autopilots and reefer madness are comforts to enjoy down the road when I've earned my stripes. Likely I will continue sailing GRP for quite some time, albeit simplified hanked and tiller steering GRP! Meanwhile, I will lust for my own wooden, canvas, and hemp coastal classic beauty.
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 14:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nematon785 View Post
Wow! thank you all so much! plenty to chew on for a while. There is something very interesting about developing a tackle rig to haul a yard or hoist even more canvas rather than a few turns around a winch, I also like the common sense function of a bulwark to stand on while heeled over. roller furling, autopilots and reefer madness are comforts to enjoy down the road when I've earned my stripes. Likely I will continue sailing GRP for quite some time, albeit simplified hanked and tiller steering GRP! Meanwhile, I will lust for my own wooden, canvas, and hemp coastal classic beauty.
What you describe fits a Crocker yawl perfectly. Lots of them up this away in Maine. Also might look into British sailing trawler conversions. Go to the google images.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 05:37   #19

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nematon785 View Post
If you're not a subscriber to WoodenBoat magazine you should be! I've been a subscriber since the '80s & still get excited when my new issue shows up.

WoodenBoat Magazine | The magazine for wooden boat owners, builders, and designers.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 05:44   #20

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
nematon785....Have you considered driving north to Port Townsend in Washington state?

For decades now they have been branding their town as the wooden boat capitol of at least the west coast if not the world. Nice place to spend a long weekend vacation!
This is an event I've wanted to see for a long time. I've been to the WoodenBoat Show at Mystic Seaport which is really great & this looks like it could rival or even surpass that.

Wooden Boat Festival | Northwest Maritime Center
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 05:46   #21

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Looks like a pay to play site.
===

Yes, but not all that expensive and their videos are very good.

Watch Quality Sailing Videos & Learn How to Build a Wooden Boat from the Pros
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter, head, lease, size