Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2013, 08:14   #46

Re: Planning a Trip to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Singlehanded- roller without a doubt. Deploy, reef and furl without going forward. Some days you can run jib only easier than running the motor.
A lot of days I just ran my jib. Once I was in the Exumas, I wasn't in a hurry and if I only made five miles in a day, I was happy.
Old 27-09-2013, 09:16   #47

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVStargazer View Post
I'm also being lent an inflatable dinghy, but I will need an outboard motor. I'm thinking I won't need anything over 3 hp, right? I don't have very much space on deck so it HAS to be inflatable.
My boat, a Bristol 29, isn't much bigger than yours. I have a porta-boat which collapses and fits on deck. With practice, I can collapse it or launch it in about 5 minutes. I started with the 3 seat model (12'?) and found I had a hard time hauling it up on deck, so I traded with someone for the 2 seater (10'?) which works much better for me. The porta-boat rows fairly well. I cruised last summer, Maine to Florida with no engine and I survived. Lots of times I had to pick my anchorage carefully to make this work, and at 79th St in NYC I could barely make headway against the current. That said, I've just ordered a Honda 2.3, which I think will give me more anchoring options. Some day I'll get around to building a nesting dinghy and retire the porta-boat.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 09:28   #48

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVStargazer View Post
Ive been given an EPIRB. This means I will only have to pay for it if I break\lose it.
Activating an EPIRB without registering it, or one registered to someone else, is likely a waste of battery power. Trawler Beach House blog has a nice discussion of this scenario here:
trawler-beach-house.blogspot.com/2009/04/you-activated-your-epirb-now-what.html

EPIRB signals sometimes yield multiple solutions and if your EPIRB is registered in another location the search, if it's initiated at all, may well be directed there. You can easily change the EPIRB registration and then change it back when you return the unit to it's owner. Here's the registration site:
http://www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov/
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 05:44   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
My boat, a Bristol 29, isn't much bigger than yours. I have a porta-boat which collapses and fits on deck. With practice, I can collapse it or launch it in about 5 minutes. I started with the 3 seat model (12'?) and found I had a hard time hauling it up on deck, so I traded with someone for the 2 seater (10'?) which works much better for me. The porta-boat rows fairly well. I cruised last summer, Maine to Florida with no engine and I survived. Lots of times I had to pick my anchorage carefully to make this work, and at 79th St in NYC I could barely make headway against the current. That said, I've just ordered a Honda 2.3, which I think will give me more anchoring options. Some day I'll get around to building a nesting dinghy and retire the porta-boat.
I think it's worse to be over outboarded than under outboarded. On my last trip to the Bahamas, I had a 25 HP Mercury on my 11' Whaler. Wide open, this rig would do 30 knots. How useful was that? Not very.

Most of the time, I was running at idle or with just a little bit of throttle, and having to mount and unmount a heavy ass motor that I was only using about 2 or 3 HP out of the 25 HP it weighed.

I now have a 2.5 Mercury outboard on it and it is a dream. It cranks easier, weighs about a third of what the 25 did and pushes my Whaler fast enough that I feel I can't run it at full throttle in the harbor because of the wake it makes.

I'm much happier now.
Old 28-09-2013, 10:12   #50

My thinking is there are two type of dingy outboards; one will plane the dingy and the other will just let you avoid rowing. Either only needs to be big enough to do that task with the load you anticipate.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas