Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-09-2009, 09:27   #16

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself
though you do not like catamarans for some unspecified reason, because of your toddler you should sail one for a week ;-) Things remain put even in stronger winds, crossing the big oceans AND cooking AND staying upright is just comfort in life. And no rolling motion, much less chance to go overboard and a big cockpit for your child on sea and trampolines at anchor! Try it, most are convinced afterwards, have a look at GUN-boats from US, a Fusion40 at the lower end and several others, watch out for a light weight one. Sailed with my daughter when she was 10 and she enjoyed it, building new one now, but she is 24 and can not wait until the new cat is finished ;-)

Old 14-09-2009, 09:35   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
On Page 147 of the electric latitude 38 Latitude 38 eBooks - September 2009 there is an article about a couple who did a 3 year circumnavigation on a benteau 473. It is worth a read.
Page 157

Good article!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 13:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
though you do not like catamarans for some unspecified reason, because of your toddler you should sail one for a week ;-)
During a daysail on a Cat years ago in Greece, wife got violently sick and since then we have not even looked at Cats.

Never happened to her on singlehulls for some strange reason.

Maybe I need to rethink...
Old 14-09-2009, 14:36   #19

Impressive yachts!

Thanks for the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
In the size you are looking at, my current favorite is this Dijkstra design built by K&M:

Dykstra & Partners Naval Architects

K&M Yachtbuilders
Old 14-09-2009, 16:02   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Shoe -

Interesting that your wife only got seasick on a multihull. Most of the people I know (including myself) had the opposite experience. Wonder if she had something bad for breakfast that day?
Old 15-09-2009, 13:21   #21

Boat: Bristol 38.8
What's wrong with a late model (1995-2005) Valiant 42, Pacific Seacraft 44, Shannon 43 or Cabo Rico 42 (just to name 4), all of which can be had for less than $400K? Then you spend another $100-150K on a refit.

Why go to 50 ft for three people (one small) when it jacks up both your initial and your ongoing maintenance costs, plus making the boat even harder to handle shorthanded?
Old 15-09-2009, 14:00   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Shoe -

Interesting that your wife only got seasick on a multihull. Most of the people I know (including myself) had the opposite experience. Wonder if she had something bad for breakfast that day?
I suppose she has a preference for the violent pounding (of a monohull) over the smooth rolling sensation provided by a Cat.
Old 15-09-2009, 14:07   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What's wrong with a late model (1995-2005) Valiant 42, Pacific Seacraft 44, Shannon 43 or Cabo Rico 42 (just to name 4), all of which can be had for less than $400K? Then you spend another $100-150K on a refit.
Probably nothing. Just that none of these are available in Northern Europe where I intend to start the journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Why go to 50 ft for three people (one small) when it jacks up both your initial and your ongoing maintenance costs, plus making the boat even harder to handle shorthanded?
I thought bigger meant safer. But I have pretty much decided to go with Aluminum, so I believe that I can drop a size and still be at the same safety level from a hull integrity point of view.
The Ovni has a 455 that is attractive. This is the ballpark I want to be in.
Old 15-09-2009, 14:37   #24
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thas article in Latitude38 is great , dispelled a few myths too. I have always felt that standard production boats are up to trade winds circumnav, we overdo the boat spec constantly.

The med is likely to be th eplace one gets the worse weather on a circumnav too in my epxerience. However its worth the expense and the hassle to visit it slowly , though I have met a lot of people you didnt like the experience.
Old 15-09-2009, 15:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
Probably nothing. Just that none of these are available in Northern Europe where I intend to start the journey.

I thought bigger meant safer. But I have pretty much decided to go with Aluminum, so I believe that I can drop a size and still be at the same safety level from a hull integrity point of view.
The Ovni has a 455 that is attractive. This is the ballpark I want to be in.
Everyone raves about the Ovnis. But is that swing keel just one more thing to go wrong?

I don't think bigger means safer. Just faster.
Old 15-09-2009, 15:33   #26
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Bigger is safer. Sail through a storm next to a big tanker and you'll see the difference.

Ovni's are great, one of the few French designs that I dig. A swing keel won't fall off any more than a bolted-on fixed keel.

Shoe: you should look at the Dutch built Atlantic's. They are aluminium and like a super-version of the Ovni. See Atlantic

cheers,
Nick.
Old 15-09-2009, 15:47   #27

Actually I sailed through an Indian Ocean storm once in a 22,000 ton freighter and I was scared to death.

My 30 foot Devlin would likely survive that storm hove to under a para anchor. That was not an option for the freighter, which was shipping green water over the bow on every wave.
Old 15-09-2009, 16:07   #28
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Curmudgeon,

What can I say? If you believe your 30' boat is safer than a big boat, that is cool with me. But it ain't true and that's my last comment because I'm not here to convince you that some facts are really... fact.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 15-09-2009, 17:08   #29

I believe my 30 footer could come through just about anything, if properly equipped and handled. So could a tanker. The tanker will certainly be more comfortable in big waves, not necessarily safer. That's why big ships like tankers carry lifeboats that are about the size of my 30 footer.
Old 15-09-2009, 17:21   #30
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ovni's have been very reluctant to release stabilty curves, and its said theres angle of vanishing stabilty is close to 100 degress as the lift keel isnt a ballast contributor. Also I have been inside them and the fitout is a little basic. I'd go for a GRP boat myself. Galvanic corrosion is a big issue for ally boats. ( as is keeping the paint on them!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: